Scoutmaster transition-how did it go for you?

I am not ready to step down as Scoutmaster, but the time will come. Our Troop is about 12 years old and has had five Scoutmasters, ranging in service anywhere from six months to two years. I'm beginning my fifth year of service. All of our Scoutmasters have taken the job mostly because he was the last man standing without a good excuse not to do it. Not the best scenario for choosing a SM. Committee asked every man in the Troop before asking me if I would do it. It was a difficult decision for me. The first year I received absolutely no support and even received emails from others that it was time to just let the troop fold.

Guess I'm stubborn, but I just didn't want to see that happen. Happily things worked out very well for our Troop. Have a well-functioning Committee now, two very dedicated ASMs, and a small group of enthusiastic boys ranging in age from 11 to 17. Now, for the first time, we are receiving 10-12 Webelos cross overs. Also, the Dads that have signed leader applications are all in favor of how things are done in our Troop. That's a good sign for our future.

I am not for a minute suggesting that I alone created this success or that I must stay in order to keep it going. I am concerned that my eventual departure may disrupt all the good things we've worked hard to build. Admittedly, I have done too many of the administrative tasks in our Troop and last year started a very concerted effort to divest myself of those things. It helped that we finally got a Committee together that will do all those things, a new Chartered Organization Rep who actually wants to do the job, and our scouts are handling their PORs.

My thinking is that when I step down I want it to seem to the troop at large that nothing really changed.

Any thoughts on how to go about a smooth Scoutmaster transition? What experiences have you had - both good and bad - and how did you handle them?

Good experience: SM recruited and "trained" ASM for a 9-12 months prior to stepping down.

Bad experience: "Here's the box (which had all the OA chapter's paperwork and info in it), you're in charge now." This was after just getting out of grad school and not being very active in the lodge for 2.5 years.

Worse experience: SM's mother dies, then he loses job. Stops showing up to meetings and functions.

Still in transition,

the previous SM can't stand that it's not being done the way he did it.

Don't get me wrong, he did a great job of what he did. But the boy's who were there when I was handed the reins wanted to go a different way. And he is FAR more knowledgeable in some areas than I am. But rather than being a resource he's a stumbling block.

I see the value of his help if it were help; but he doesn't help, he takes over - and due to his previous service and the cult of personality he created - everyone steps aside and lets him do "his" thing.

Definitely agree on having a Trained ASM or previous SM in line 6-12 months prior, if possible with them knowing and the Committee in agreement that this is the next SM.

Then from my perspective, do the last 2-3 months actively transitioning, then take 6 months and stay away from the Troop to let the new SM find himself in the job. Be available if he calls you or needs a sounding board - or even just to know how you would have done something. But remember that it is his responsibility now. And when you do go visit remember that for good or bad it's his job now - let him do it!

Visited the Scout meeting one evening with my son and webelos den. Must have had a sign on my back because the following week I was approached by the SM and ASM who shook my hand and said " We need a Scoutmaster or the Troop must fold" Within two weeks the SM stopped coming and the ASM moved away. How could I say no? That was 8 years ago.

Echo what Gunny said: make the transition and then take a six month break...but be available for phone calls from the SM.

Once the announcement is made, and the transition under way, resist the folks who will tell you that the troop can't go on without you, you've got to come back as SM, or at least ASM, or at the very least as part of the TC, because if you leave then they will too, etc. They mean well, speaking from the heart.

The troop may struggle at first. Things will no doubt be done differently. But they'll survive. You owe it to the new SM to let find his/her way. Clean break.

Worse transition: I was an ASM. Our SM had a public meltdown and started a fist fight with another ASM, in front of the scouts, at the end of a weekly meeting. Looooong story why, but here's what makes the debacle even worse:

Fun fact 1: Both the ASM in question and I were scouts in this SM's troop ten years earlier.

Fun fact 2: The SM had presented his sparring partner, the ASM, his Eagle back in the day

SM resigns before he's canned. DE convinces me to be SM; he'll be there for me, every step of the way. So will the UC. I never see either of them again.

Pretty appalling memory, as I type this out. But the troop survived. And they did even better in the future after I got orders and moved on (military).

The experience, plus a few others, helps me be a better UC today.

I took over the SM job in Jan. 'till now, I think that it is going ok. The only problem that I have is to figure out how to help our Troop Guides and Instructors with 34 brand new scouts!

The former SM stayed on as one of our ASMs. He finds himself doing other things within the troop instead of scoutmaster conferences. In a troop of 80 boys, that's a full time job. I delegate the SMC to the ASMs responsible for coaching the Trails to First Class.

The transition was smooth, but I have been working with the SM for the past 5 of 6 years. I have certain things that I want to do differently! Overall, everyone seems to know what to do. The changes that I implemented is not fully realized, because it will take a while to get the boys to move from a "individual scout troop" to a "patrol method troop."

To answer your question ... it would help if the new SM is allowed some time to work with you as you start to slowly transition the activities over to him/her.

Good luck.

1Hour

As many of you know, I stepped into the SM role officially in December (I am the troop's 27th SM in 72 years), but I have been filling the shoes since September. When I came to this troop as a visiting Cubmaster (units sharing CO), I was identified as a replacement SM 3 years in advance. I was interested in eventually stepping into a position as this, so nearly 2 years were spent "grooming" me for this position before it was ever even said out loud what was seen as the next SM. But we were all adults, the SM and committee members knew I was interested, and everyone understood what was happening.

Last year, I worked my replacement Cubmaster into the position, and I began camping with the troop, and I even went to summer camp with them last year. All this while my son was still a Cub Scout. My reasoning was that I wanted to have the scouts in the troop become comfortable with me as an adult leader before my son joined the troop. I think this has been a wise choice, but with my son's first campout this weekend as a boy scout, we will see.

I have been on the job for less than 4 months, but I have already identified my replacement (recruiting and training him is next). He is the Cubmaster of our charter organization's other pack, and he earned his Eagle with our troop nearly 20 years ago; in the 70 year history of our troop, his father was one of the longest tenured SMs. He and I are going to sit down for coffee one evening next week and talk about the future of the troop (and his and my place in that future). I have no desire to step down anytime soon, in fact, thought I considered being Cubmaster the most fun (and easiest) job in scouting, I think of SM as being the most rewarding and fullfilling (but in many ways the most demanding).

I know I said this in another post a few weeks ago, but choosing and training one's replacement is one of my most important responsibilities to my unit. It is the best way of ensuring the continued success of your unit.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

I stayed away from the troop for six months while the new scoutmaster got his feet under him. It was the hardest six months of my life. As much as that job enhanced my life and gave me the ability to give so much of myself, I could probably never scoutmaster again because of that six months.

I love that scouting stuff.

Barry

gwd, if you have the scouts up to speed as a scout led troop and your leaders on board with a scout led troop then the transition could or should be almost with a bump.

Remember as a SM you are a Master of Scouts helping present the program that allows the scouts and scouters be scouts and scouters. The hardest part of our job.

Whether you stay on as ASM or visiting 'expert' should not matter. In the troop that I serve the outgoing SM usually becomes the CC, (a job that I will dodge with all my effort;) ) Train them and let them go on and when the time is right you should know it.

Good Luck and happy scouting

yis

red feather

Thanks folks for your responses. When I step down as SM, I don't think I will stay on as ASM. Much like when I stepped down as Cubmaster long ago, it was best to let the new CM take charge without worrying about my lingering shadow. Not a big headed comment mind you, just that I did the job for five years.

I would consider becoming the Committee Chair. I'd like that. Perhaps a Unit Commissioner - goodness knows our District is in dire need of commissioners and we have a good supply of Packs and Troops that need help.

Not sure I could give up Scouting for good, but do think the time is coming that I'll need to step back into a less demanding role.

I'm thinking of stepping down as SM before the end of the year. I would have done it a year ago but I waited until some of the ASM's were fully trained.

Our Troop is large(85) and we had a few years of slim pickings for ASM's. We recently had great turnout on that area and now I would feel comfortable moving away. The Committee and COR will send out the invitations to those interested and along with the SPL will start interviews and the replacement process. The Scoutmaster before me backed away quickly but was always there to help answer questions. He would show up about once a month, then every two months. now after 6 years we see him only at Eagle COH's.

I can't just leave so my Council is already bugging me that they have a place for me on a committee or as a Commish.

I was SM for 5 years. ASM's thought they could do better. One lasted 8 months and the other one for a year. I can't wait to see who is the next SM. They found out it was so easy...except for the time committment. The TC turned nasty too. They were in it for their own Scout, didn't care about the rest.