Geocaching at your council camp

We are starting a geocaching program at our Scout Reservation. The traditional caches are set up at sites around the main part of camp that range from nanos to ammo boxes. Each cache at those sites has a write-up that tells the history of the site. Many sites are named after supporters or long-time leaders. Other sites have descriptions that explain the use of it like the OA shelter or copes course. We had 12 garmins donated to the council that we pre-programmed with the coordinates.

The second choice to take is a multi-cache that requires Scout skills to finish. The boys have to complete some skill to find the next coordinates. One cache makes them lash poles together to reach the container with the next coordinates 20' up a tree. Another uses the numbers of the Scout Law to make coordinates. Another uses compass directions. Another uses a rope wrapped around a tube with the coordinates written on the rope while it was wound. (They have to re-wrap the rope to figure out the coordinates.) I may drop a flat rock with coordinates written on it in the deep end of the pool for a stage. Another has scrabble peices that arrange to form a phrase and the point value makes the coordinates.

After geocaching at camp, they can purchase a special "Pipsico Geocacher" patch at the trading post.

Is anyone doing something similar to this? Do you have other ideas for caches on the multi cache?

As a Cacher with over 300 finds, I like the second ideas A LOT for a scout camp Caches. As a matter of fact, I would love to do that one anywhere! Is there going to be stash/trade item in any of them or is it going to be the "thrill of the find"?

Be sure to remind them to make sure the boxes are closed tight and nothing is left up to miss it up for the next set of boys.

Diana

Our troop attends Camp Yawgoog in Rhode Island. They have had a "Geoscouting" program for several years. The boys are given a list of coordinates for controls that range from end to end of the camp, forcing them to get out onto some of the trails and see parts of the camp they may not normally see. There is a punch at each location and when the boy (or adult) returns with them all punched they get a "Geoscouting" patch, as well as the right to purchase a special segment at the trading post.

I like the idea of a known set of coordinates for troops that have not done geocaching. Our troop likes to do survival geocaching where the scouts need to find the boxes for firestarting, food and other nice to have needs when you are dumped out in the wilderness with nothing accept a sleeping bag. It takes time to set up a geocaching course.

Barry

After going to all that trouble I think they should be awarded asegment for their camping patch or something similar they can add on thorugh the years and not have to purchase it.

Make sure you have some thing set up that they have to stamp or get a token to turn in their completed map.

Our camp has letterboxing. It's pretty similar. They use map directiosn and compass directions to find the boxes.

It's very often overlooked as an activity as it's not widely promoted and they need to use thier free time to do it.

I really like the survival geocaching. Nice incentive. I may have to steal that idea...

To answer a couple of the questions: I would love to be able to give out patches, but they do cost money so we have to charge for them. If I can figure out how to put a picture on a post, I will put up a picture of the patch. It is a great patch.

Our traditional caches range in size, so the larger ones have swag but the boys are instructed on swaping rules. We started off with a lot of stuff from the dollar store. One cache is a rubber dinosaur. Another cache has neckerchief slides that you can swap.

• 1 month later...

One or two SMs ago the SM, son and family were big into Geocaching. One troop meeting was dedicated to taking boys out to try finding a couple GOecach sites in a local park. Most kids did not take to it, including my eldest, now Eagle Scout son. I wasn't able to make that meeting but have used GPS often as a soldier. About a year ago, younger son(Life, Eagle Project to go)and younger sister wanted to try Geocaching. So we started, and to date have hit several dozen cachs, including several in other states when I travel. Both kids enjoy it, and this summer while at Philmont, younger son and myself will try to knock out a few more geocachs....

I'm a newby cacher with only about 20 finds but have already intorduced 6 Webelos and 20 scouts to the sport. Two weeks ago, me and another leader set up a cache challenge at a local park where our scouts were to camp. Each patrol got a GPS and a sheet of paper that told them which order they were to follow. We gave them a quick overview of how to use GPS and a couple adults went with each patrol just to provide light guidance. (the GPS's that we used to set the caches were going crazy and losing signals the week before, so we showed the leaders the cache sites just in case we were way off)

For our challenges, we had a first aid emergency (broken arm to splint), a sheet where they had to list the ten essentials and points for which ones they had on their persons and one where they had to prepare (but not light) a campfire and make a fuzzy stick.

Except for the massive thunderstorm that came rumbling through in the middle of the game, the kids had a great time and got to use their skills, of beging to learn the skills for our crossovers.

The scouts should realy love it. Some scouters near me have a series of caches in the area on geocaching.com called Trail to Eagle. I'm looking forward to having my son's patrol doing those.

I like Mr Dave's second option a lot. There are a few potential downsides, which can also be turned into good learning experiences.

(1) Having the cache list the coordinates to the next cache on things like ropes and such may mean the wrong numbers are accidentally entered. Teaches how one number in the string can make a huge difference. (number may fade, wear off, some Scout may turn a 1 into as 4, or a 6 into an 8...)

(2) Entering the UTM numbers on many GPS models is a pain in the arse. Not sure the boys are up for that, but then again, if they are texting all the time, they should be able to figure it out.