I need help - I cannot stop thinking about stuff

How many have a Scouting bumper sticker? Or more than one? How about a BSA license plate?

I have a Cub Scout and the Volunteer Stickers(thick vinyl type).I have a "Timeless Values" bumper sticker.I have a "Proud of my Cub Scout" bumper sticker.*And yes, I have a state Boy Scout custom licenseplate.

No I do not drive an '89 Cutlass Caprice (but I gotta admit, the flur-di-lis hood ornament is really cool!)

*My son just crossed to Boy Scouts, and he reminded me that he is no longer a Cub Scout, and that I should take off this bumper sticker. I had actually considered this a few months before, and I had a good answer for him. I said that as a Webelos den leader, I still have Cub Scouts, and I am proud of them all. He is friends with several of them, and he just nodded and replied: "Yes, I guess you do."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife questioned me one time..." I thought it was supposed to be just one hour a week " she said, to which I replied deadpan "it is....one hour a week per registered youth in the unit....for each unit our kids are in....so that's what?...52 hours per week...no biggie right?"

She left the room with "that look" on her face. ;)(This message has been edited by ElyriaLeader)

We're going family camping over Spring Break. Hubby asked that we not talk about scouts the entire time. He needs a break. I'm the one that will have a really hard time, since ours awards ceremony/cross over is right around the corner. I'll have to write down everything that pops into my head.

Buffalo Skipper,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think Backpacking represents the very essence of being a Boy Scout because it fosters the qualities of independence, self-reliance, resourcefulness, adventure, survival skills, physical/mental strength, and the outdoors experience to name just a few!

We normally teach the Backpacking merit badge as part of our Philmont prep hikes, and the scouts love it. It always amazes me to see how these young scouts develop into confident young men and leaders after they have a few backpacking trips under their belts. They also appreciate being prepared for their Philmont treks which are always beyond their wildest expectations. :cool:

Eagle92 - you know your wife is addicted to scouting when she is HAPPY to get a cub scout leader uniform for her birthday.

Several years ago husband gave me a buck knife for my birthday. One Christmas, he gave me a backpack. Funny, it seems I remember precisely when I received those gifts, but others have been lost in the fog.

I've been assimilated.

1) Last year when we were looking for a new vehicle my wife told me that we should go with a Honda Pilot because it holds 8. The other vehicles we were looking at only held up to 7. We are a family of four. Her reasoning was that since I go on all the Scout camping trips if we got Pilot then the Scoutmaster and I can carry up to 14. 12 Scouts and two leaders that would make it easier on the troop not to have to recruit other parents to drive most of the time. We bought the pilot.

2) The other vehicle we own is a minivan. I have the space behind the rear seat reserved for most used Scout stuff including a large case that has all the important docs Boy Scout Handbook, GtSS, Uniform book, Committee book, Scoutmasters Handbook, Paddle your own canoe, Aides to Scoutmastership... Also there is a box that has a couple of useful Scout items in it like a frisbee, a medium size ball, a sharpening stone, a hammock... Lastly there are four boxes of microwave popcorn my son is still trying to deliver since last November. He sold $1700 worth of popcorn and these last two people never seem to be available for delivery.

As for Scouting Stickers, the minivan has one that says "I am proud of my Boy Scout". I keep wondering if my wife got that in reference to my son or me. I think it is my son because otherwise should have gotten the one that said "Eagle Scout" on it instead. Along those lines my son completed his BOR for Life last night so within a few years (he is thirteen now) there is a good chance she will be upgrading the sticker for him.

I understand, when we or I moved to Huntsville, Alabama my wife has stayed back to finish her teaching. She comes in June, well...the first words out of her mouth were..."You're not going to take up Scouts aganin"? My reply was vague...here I am six months later and not in Scouting...the kids are grown, but I still get out of the shower and think...I've got a new idea for a camporee...these guys would just love it! So it really never goes away, and somehow I'm still looking for a way to get back involved. Now here the deal...I've contacted some of the local Scouting troops and local in the District...no responce...no interest...I want to get involved again...but some say why...you don't have any kids in volved anymore.

Sowhat...what was Baden's son's name?

Let me know>

Also let me know if any of you have any ideas about returning back into Scouting once you're kids are finished...I need some ideas.

Edited by Eagle Foot

Eagle Foot,

Just pick up an application and sign up as a District at large. Then start showing up at their RT's. Soon or later, someones interest will be peeked.

SWMBO you never know from one day to the next whether Scoting is the evil competion. but ever so slowly, SHE IS BEING ASSIMULATED!!!!

The CCS Cchair is slowly drawing her in on special projects. And her best freind, who is Nativ, and does cultural outreach programs does a lot of her programing around Scouting. SWMBO came for a scheduled done hour meeting with her friend and one of my fellow Lodge advisors about putting on a mini-Powwow at our August OX Roast. One became three hours, and she was having just as much fun carrying on as the other three of us. Plus we dragged her along for a week in DC back in April. She whines, but she can't stop talking about how much fun it is with the boys.

OH EVER SO SLOWLY.