International Adventures

I have a question for the scouters. Even though my brothers used to do a lot with Boy Scouts, I'm a little confused about something. For any of your adventures, do you go out of the country? I just didn't know if you can get any of your badges out of the country given that the name is "Boy Scouts of America".

Haven't been very far, went to Haliburton Scout Reserve, Canada twice for summer camp. It's a great place. Once you get off the bus, you are taken to your site by pontoon boats, then it's every where by canoe for a week. Because the programs are different, we had to take our own merit badge counselors.

It depends upon what the award is.

fromthe insignia control guide

Scouters occasionally receive awards from Scouting associations of other nations, and it is important that they know how these awards should be worn. This does not include jamboree patches. Following are the regulations for wearing such awards:

1. They are always worn when visiting the country whose Scouting association presented the award or when attending a meeting or function attended by Scouters from that country.

2. Medals awarded by other associations are worn above the left breast pocket.

As for me I've hosted Canadians 4 times, gone to Canada once, worked an International week one time, and did 3 months in the European Camp Staff Program. While it is the BSA, we are a member of the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM).

Back when I was active at the unit level rather than the district level, our troop made a trip over the border to New Brunswick, Canada almost every year to participate in an all night hike/competition event, known as Operation Poverty Peak (and then Operation Greer Creek after the location changed).

As a youth, my unit went to Quebec City three times and an international camporee in Sherbrooke, QC.

I also took a patrol of scouts from my unit to the 2001 Canadian National Jamboree, held on Prince Edward Island. My scouts all earned Weather Merit Badge as I was a counselor for that at the time, and one of the things we did while there was visit Environment Canada's (Canadian Weather Service) set-up at the Jambo.

There are some Canadian scout camps that will tailor a program around American Merit Badges for your unit if you ask in advance.

At one time I was interested in trying to take a group to Costa Rica or the Caribbean. And I started a thread on this forum to try to get ideas for funding and other things. Not much interest, I'm afraid, so I gave it up. I just go myself, as often as possible.

Why "Yes you can".

There are international jamborees as well as international Scouting events. Unless you are a "Lone Scout" you will have your SM with you (or someone that can sign off) and they can sign off in your book for US requirements passed in other countries. You can also wear International Jamboree patches on the uniform and other patches on the vest/jackshirt. All else fails you can make a "brag blanket" with all your patches.

I have had the pleasure of going to international Jamboree in Korea with a troop of US scouts (stationed in Korea) as well as visiting scouts from the US (as well as foriegn Scouts from many nations).

If you are talking individual outings or Patrol outings (hikes/camping) the items are pre-determined and still signed off in the US book.

I hope that answers your questions.

YiS,

Rick

Norther Tiers runs two "national" high adventure bases in Canada. SeaBase runs one "national" base out of the Bahamas.

Our scouts earned 50 miler and Duty to God at NTiers.

My son has had his passport stamped as many times on Boy Scout trips than on our own family vacations.

Some recognitions

International Activity hat

" " neckerchief and slide

" " patch

" " backpatch

" " Windbreaker (it's blue the int4ernational logo embroidered directly on it )

" Youth Exchange Patch, This is what replaced the WC

Elishemay,

Greetings!

Yes. You can have adventures outside of the United States, when given permission for an International Tour Permit.

Also, A member can participate in other international courses, sometimes as just an independent, and sometimes as a representative of the BSA.

As for other Awards. Yes look in the Insignia Guide. Not under International, but under Special Recognitions (read at the bottom of my post)

You've been told about the International Activity Patch, there is also the International Commissioners, International Adult Award, etc. Check out the www.scouting.org and select International.

Whether you may wear international recognition on your uniform. (and I probably need help from some of our fellow Scouters here) I believe a discussion on another forum years ago, about Past BSA President Gere Ratcliff (sp?), in the inside cover of the BSA Handbook he wore two International recognitions on his official photo.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Awards from Other Scout Associations

Scouters occasionally receive awards from Scouting associations of other nations, and it is important that they know how these awards should be worn. This does not include jamboree patches. Following are the regulations for wearing such awards:

They are always worn when visiting the country whose Scouting association presented the award or when attending a meeting or function attended by Scouters from that country.

Medals awarded by other associations are worn above the left breast pocket.

I assume that you are asking about MB's rather than special BSA international awards that may not (no idea if this is correct) contribute to advancement.

Do everything by the rules and regs...then do what works.

I don't know how easy it is to work around things but there must be a way to reconise effort and accomplishement despite inconvieniences of location. Few young men will understand "yes you did everything and more but the rules are impossible to adhere to overseas. Just do the MB again when we get home". Something of a disincentive.

But you Americans are a creative lot, not too tripped up by regs. Several of my Scouts proudly wore Indian Lore and Fishing MB's on their Australian uniforms. Not exactly correct by rule but they earned them in Australia as a virtual exchange arrangement. Looked good too and opened a few discussions about international Scouting when we were out and about which is a plus as well.

No names - no pack drill.

....and I am not afraid of the MB police. You don't have jurisdiction over here.

ozemu wrote: "and I am not afraid of the MB police. You don't have jurisdiction over here."

And I hear they can be easily bribed to look the other way with a box of TimTams. :)

(This message has been edited by moxieman)

Another Australian perspective....

Every three years there is an Australian Jamboree somewhere around the country. At every Australian Jamboree there is an American contingent, so some of your boys do get over here and presumably achieve quite a lot! No idea if merit badges are involved.

As for Tim Tams moxieman, it's often a bit hot!