Hello to all. I am new to this forum and this year I started my son in Cub Scouts.

When I contacted the local council about the program, they told me that they would work on finding a Pack, but there was a lack of leadership and they needed help. Well being the type of person that I am, I stepped up. THey convinced the Cub MAster to stay one more year so that I could get the swing of things. That put me in as Assistant Cub MAster.

Well there wer some parents who said that they would lead the Tiger Cub Den, but when they found out that it was lead by cub parents, and not the "Trained Professionals" that they thought, they backed out of the leadership postition. Once again I stepped up as Den Leader.

Now I am working back and forth trying to keep things above water. Trying to make sure that the recharter goes OK, and that we keep going on with the things that the boys need. I mean, that is what this program is for, the boys.

Right now I am doing OK, but we still have no Wolf and Bear dens. The webelos den will be crossing over soon.

So I will be asking for advise in other topics and postings.

Other than that, I was in Boy Scouts when I was younger (Much Younger) and I made it to life scout. I was also inducted into the OA completing only my ordeal. Which I am looking to rejoin the OA through the local council. I waited many years to see about getting my son in Cub Scouts and he is finally there and we are both haveing fun regardless of the difficulties that we face.

I will be talking to you all soon.

Trained Professionals? Who on Earth told them that?

With no Bears or Wolves, you have a very hard row to hoe. Not to be a pessimist but if there is another, well established pack in your area, you might want to consider just taking your den there and letting the existing pack just fold it tents and slip away into blissful oblivion.

I talked with my district exec and she said that if I needed to, I could just start with the tigers this year, they will be wolves next year. Then I can work on getting new tigers and keep building from there. They also said that they were willing to help all they can.

Here's hoping

Welcome to the forum, SctDad.

What you are describing sounds like a bit of a challenge, but this is also the way some brand new packs start out, with just one or two dens the first year. If you are able to recruit some dedicated leaders to help you next year then you should be in a good position to develop the pack program. If you know any parents of (current) kindergarten boys, NOW is the time to start talking up cub scouting! Get them hooked now, get their boys signed up starting in June (or when school lets out for the summer - they can become Tigers then, no need to wait til Sept), and get them to go to your district's day camp or whatever the district does over the summer for cubs! They'll have a blast, they'll get a feel for the program (through you), and you'll have some people to help you get off to a great start for next year.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted. You'll find lots of helpful people on this board.