Using Troop Program Features

Does anyone really use these? We go with the themes and get some ideas for them but don't really use them. I think they would make the meetings much more interesting but just haven't been able to get the PLC to make use of them. Part is likely a lack of understanding, part is getting people to do things a new way, part is that the scouts perceive it as being more work (compared to inviting a guest speaker and playing basketball it is).

I'd like to take the PLC to visit a troop that does a good job of implementing them, but I don't know of any.

I have the same issue.

I pitched it a recent TJLT and had the boys look a month over and give me a 2 minute summary.

If nothing else, they found new activities they could do that relate to stuff the Troop was doing anyways (how many knot relays can they do?). But it was new, and had points for advancement as well as fun. They tried to get it started in the following week's PLC, but I had the latest copies of the Features in my trunk! Whoops!

I'd like to see the older boys concentrate on it as it can help them focus the Merit Badge work while assisting new Scouts with skills.

It's similar to the Cub Program helps that were the meat when I was CM.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

We have also struggled with using them--or have we? We bought a fresh set of these publications last year, and they are in possession of the SPL. We have chosen themes, and though he never brings a "Troop Meeting Plan," our meetings have run smoothly and better than they have in some time. I suspect he is reviewing them (read "cramming") the night before the meeting and winging it. I guess I cannot argue with the improvement.

We will have a new SPL in a week, so it will be interesting to see how he is able to use them. In our upcoming training, we will be reviewing the material and discuss how to best implement it.

My troop use the old Woods Wisdom Book, basically the 3 volumes of program features in one book. It was successful. SPL or ASPL used ti to plan the meetings, theoretically one could do 3 years of different meetingings before repeating, but in practice some were repeated yearly.

Speaking as a Roundtable staffer,

BSA National Council, and the local Council, by Charter agreement are obligated to furnish program resources. The National program, with its monthly themes, is published by National on a 3 year cycle.

The themes of each month of Program Year X are announced about 12 months in advance, with the publication of the Rountable Guide. The National program is further supported with the Annual Program Helps, the periodic inserts in Scouting magazine, and the monthly articles in Boy's Life magazine. District Roundtable Commissioners build their monthly presentations to support the annual program plan.

Yes, units may choose not to use the National Program. If they choose to do so, they cannot, imo, complain that District and Council support does not meet the obligations of the Charter Agreement.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

John-in-KC, good points.

I cannot count how many units I've heard complain (usually at FOS time) that they derive no benefit from their local council or district, and would prefer to go it alone. These are the units who never attend district or council functions, never staff training sessions or camporees, etc. Some (not all) have poor programs, and then complain that they get no help from their district or council.

As a former UC and current BSRT Commish, I just have to shake my head . . .

I serve both as a Scoutmaster and Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner.

I always include a copy of the Program theme in my "Roundtable Cribsheet", which is the name for the handouts I collate and print for distributing to attendees at our districts monthly RT.

I ask the Scouters in attendance each month to take the Program theme and give it to their troops PLC so they can decide to use the suggested theme if they(the PLC) chooses to in planning their troops activities.

My own troop uses the Troop Program Features and Troop Program Resources in its PLC monthly meetings...they do tend to pick and choose what they will employ from these pubs, but it is important that the PLC does plan the troops activities and meetings agendas.

I am no genius and havent stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, so I lean heavily towards implementing and continuing to use the Boy Scout program as provided in the publications and materials we are offered by the National Council...see, for me this alleviates re-inventing the wheel on a monthly or weekly basis.

What really makes me wonder is why some leaders deviate from a well prepared and standardized program that works...so long as you work it? I suppose they feel individuality and different ideas will serve our Scouts better somehow?