Im thinking about rejoining my boyscout troop, I quit three years ago and now I'm about 16 as a second class scout do you think I could get life or eagle scout? I am almost 1st class all I need is a scout master conference and bor

Is it possible - sure!

I admire you for thinking about re-joining. When I was your age I was a Life scout with only a few things to finish to get my Eagle. Now, I am 40 and I only have the same few things to finish ... Every Eagle COH I attend reminds me that I should have done what you are doing right now .. go back.

If you are about to First Class, you will need 4 months minimum to earn Star, 6 months minimum to earn Life, and an additional 6 months to earn Eagle. You need Positions of Responsibility (PORs) for the same amount of time for each rank.

Can it be done, sure it can. Can YOU do it, sure you can. You simply need the determination to do what is needed, and get started doing it. I would recommend you speak to your Scoutmaster of your intentions to finish, and make sure that he and the Troop can support you. If not, you might want to find a troop that can.

Good luck to you.

J

Life is definitely reachable. Eagle will be hard, but can probably be done. It's hard for all boys, even the ones who didn't drop out for a few years!

Even if you were to never pass First Class, however, the experience of being in Boy Scouts would be a valuable one. Now that you're a little older, you can probably appreciate the opportunity better than you could when you were around 12.

I think it is worthwhile to rejoin. Yes, work hard and try to attain Eagle; but most of all, join up and learn what you can learn, enjoy the fun stuff, and have the satisfaction of pushing through and completing the stuff that isn't as much fun.

Best wishes!

-Liz

I forgot all about being on a summer camp staff. At some camps, you can take a few merit badges each week as well as work at camp on staff. You could take the aquatics - swimming, lifesaving, canoeing, and rowing. You could take campcrafts - camping, pioneering, cooking, and orienteering. Field sports - Rifle, Blackpowder, Archery, and Shotgun. You get the idea - take one from each area each week. If camp runs 4 weeks, you may be able to earn 4-8 MB's. Don't forget to enjoy yourself. RD

Not to be the wet towel, but eagle is based upon what YOU do and how hard YOU work; it can be done. It will be a challenge, a very hard one at that, but if you bust your butt, you will get there. I wish you the best of luck in the endevour.

Another option would be to join a Venturing Crew, and go for the Ranger Award and Silver Award. These are two awesome awards that I wish were around back in the day becasue I love challenges. You have until 21 to get the awards.

The key is that no matter what you do, HAVE FUN.

sk84sv,

Gern makes a good point. If you are coming back to scouting, then become involved and dedicated to becoming a better scout. Striving for Eagle is a good goal but the value to you for your life are the things that scouting teaches not having the rank. Good luck.

Hey sk84v, CONGRATS! As a 12 yr SM I assure you that you can make your Eagle. Just make sure your SM and SPL know your goal, be active and take every opporutnity at meetings, activities and camp outs to sign off requirements.

Also, don't forget the "automatic" merit badges - the ones you can get from teachers and coaches (with your SM's approval and a blue card): art-painting-pottery-sculpture (art class); architecture; american business-salesmanship-entrepreneurship (business, DECA, economics classes); citizenship (x3)- (history, social studies, politics, etc classes); animal science-plant science-nature-mammal & reptile study (biology classes); communications-public speaking (english, speech, debate classes); athletics-personal fitness-sports (coaches & gym classes); engineering-drafting-metalworks-electricity-electronics-computers (shop, computer, drafting, etc classes); bugling-music (music, band or orchestra classes or tutors); space exploration (got mine in a aerospace science class); WELL YOU GET THE IDEA!

Have fun -- if it ain't fun, it ain't scouting! jim