Cub/Webelo Parents Burned out by the 5th grade.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a DL and I was burned out. I didn't really have any good ideas of what to do, or a program to follow, or experienced adults to teach me, EDGE style. So when my son got to Boy Scouts I took a 6 month break, but went on all the campouts. Now I'm the SM and the only thing I ask of ex DLs is to come on campouts and participate. In August I'll hit them up for more. It takes about a year to get new parents involved.

As for helping Webelos we started inviting them to join us, with their parents, to the Fall camporee. They had a great time. This year we're going to add a late summer campout and something fun in October. So they get to do scouting for August, September, and October. Then they just need to figure out November - February. When I told this to a Web 1 leader he thought that was the greatest idea since sliced bread. So, DLs have a tough job and need help.

I'd agree its the "burned out w/ the job" and "burned out w/ dealing with other kids' parents", not burned out with dealing with the kids.

Mostly, its burned out by 4 other adults that will come up AFTER an event and give you feedback on what SHOULD / COULD have happened or been done differently, but when the planning meeting took place, its that same core of 5 to 8 adults that make everything happen that show up and plan and execute the event.

I've gotten by so far with my standard reply of, "Thanks for the input. You know, we're always looking for volunteers to head up the sub-committee for x,y,z event next year, can I put you down?" If the backpeddling starts, then I discuount any criticism. If they say "sure, I've love to help.", then I definately want to listen to what they have to say. I'm waiting for the day one of says, "I think I could do a pretty good job as CM, let me give it a try next year....".

Biggest problem I see - most other youth activities are dumping grounds. Sports, music, dance, theatre, Karate, etc... you take the kid to the practice, lesson, game... you sip your Starbucks on the sidline and you cheer Jr. on. In scouts (especially Tigers and somewhat in Wolves / Bears) we EXPECT participation from the adult partner(s).

Sadly, a majority of parents are looking for a "break" from their parenting duties and will happily PAY to get that break.

I actually had a father on our last campout say to me, "I have to pay for camping, AND help out either cooking or cleaning up?" Duhhh.... No, the $15 a head buys the food AND a dedicated cook team for the weekend, Einstien.

The only burn-out I have is I ALWAYS see the exact same faces at the planning meetings. Everyone wants a quality program. Most will throw money at it to try and buy the quality. Very few will put in the elbow grease to ensure there is quality. I count those who put in the elbow grease as very close friends and extremely good parents.