ASM / Dist. Commissioner

I used to live in Wyoming and took may family to Yellowstone once but have never taken scouts there.

Where are you from?

Living in Wyoming I can tell you that you want everyone to be dressed well in the evenings as at that elevation it will get rather cold at night. You can still get snow in June. Daytimes are usually very pleasant in June.

How do you plan to get there?

I drove my family across the center of Wyoming where things are rather sparse. Planned to have lunch at restaurant on the way home but had to wait until late afternoon (nearly all the way home) to find a restaurant.

What do you plan to do there?

If backpacking remember the elevation and take things slow.

We drove from western WI out to summer camp at Camp Buffalo Bill (6 miles outside of park's east entrance, Central WY Council). Spent the week there, toured Yellowstone before heading back.

We used vans and SUV's rather than a bus. A bus in those mountains is a real challenge. I did tour Yellowstone a few years back from a Pace Arrow RV, and boy was I glad I wasn't driving.

Advice: don't rush through the touring. Lots of nice trails to get back to the sights, hiking around Old Faithful out to Morning Glory pool will take you at least a comfortable hour+. Plan if possible to do the tour over a two day period, taking the lower loop one day and the upper loop the next. Nothing is worse than traveling all that distance and then rushing through everything. We camped at West Yellowstone in between the two days of park touring. We were tenting so it was out of the question to camp in the park. Plan a nice break stop in the Black Hills/Badlands and/or Devil's Tower. Expect cool weather and if you want there's some nice out-of-the-way camp areas that we found that were free and open to the public with minimum amenities (Buckhorn Mts.). Lots of animals, minimum amenities big open meadow, no sites, pit toilet and water 1/2 mile away. If you tour in early June, all the meadow flowers will be in bloom. That in itself is worth the trip alone to see that.

The week of summer camp at Buffalo Bill was somewhat primitive, but nice. Bear and wolves walked through the camp mid-week. Grizzly visited the week before. All water in the area is too cold for swimming, too much glacier run off. Scenery is fantastic.

My only advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME. You've gone a long way to see it, don't rush it. And for Heaven's sake take a camera!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you have ample access to recharger ability or take lots of batteries.

Old Faithful is on an internet feed. Make sure you get your boys in front of the camera and let the folks back home know how much fun you're having.

Do you have an extra seat and can you stop in Wisconsin on your way through?

Stosh

Wisconsin will be a little out of the way, sorry Stosh. I, however, live right off the Indiana Tolway. Shouldn't be much of a hassle to pick me up.

As far as cameras go I had a new digital camera when I went. Made the mistake to use the memory card that came with it. Ran out of space after a couple days. Bummer. Make sure you have a large memory, especially for Yellowstone. There is a lot to photograph.

As far as the drive storage in the camera is concerned, what one might consider is getting everyone's software download programs from all the digital cameras on the trip and download each night onto a laptop. That way you will have as much storage as the laptop will hold, just empty all the cameras at the end of the day. This way you are limited only by the size of the camera's disk. One could even download in an emergency mid-day for those who have small disks in their cameras.

Stosh