BSA to Pursue Negotiations to Establish National Scouting Center

SSScout:

Yes, I think the the centennial camporee will be an interesting test. My guess is that 10,000 is more than twice the normal peak capacity. I wonder how they will handle parking the buses? Certainly there will have to be a lot of changes and upgrades before they can handle the jambo.

Interesting that nothing has appeared on the council or national website about this.

artjrk:

In-laws used to live in Staunton (pronounced Stanton for the uninitiated) and SIL is still there. I share your love of the valley though I am not a fan of dodging semis on I-81. It is beautiful country. Summer nights at Goshen can get downright cool by DC standards.

Hal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokala,

I do believe that the overriding unspokem major criteria was closeness to DC. I think to keep from catching too much grief, they did not list that and was willing to entertain other ideas if something really outstanding came along. But I think DC is the trump card.

To everyone else,

Yes, you can look at it from a population center standpoint. Still, you have a lot of scouts coming from across the US as well as Alaska and Hawaii and you guys can't imagine the additional cost involved. While you guys might balk at the price, you'd have to swallow even harder if it cost you $1000 to $1500 more. Obviously there are always going to be folks who live closer to a Jambo site than others and their cost will be less, but a central location kind of evens out and lowers the cost for the majority of folks wanting to attend.

I just did a search of "population center of the United States" The center of the US population last located in Virginia was 1850. It is now in Missouri. Don't think that area has the needed piece of property but it is located along I-44 and within the parameters of major airlines. Summers in Missouri can easily rival the heat and humidity of Virginia and we certainly don't have any hills/mountains that get cool in the evening. I too wish they had settled on a more Western location - don't think the population center will be moving north and east for some time.

Whoever said life would be fair? I've never been to Philmont, because I could never afford the week of "touring" tacked on to each end of the trek. Three weeks of vacation time and a coupla thousand bucks was outta my range.

I realize they are looking for a permanent home. If they were looking to another military installation, my choice would have been Fort Carson by Colorado Springs, a major metropolitan city that could handle the logistical and supply needs of a Jamboree. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Denver International Airport, just off of I-25 and right at the foot of the Rockies. In late July, the day time temps are in the low 90's and the nights are in the mid 60's with humidity around 50 to 60% and 0 precip. Now that is camping weather with beautiful scenery. It is darn near the geographical center of the nation to boot.(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

The info about the court case is true. However, the reason given for not having the Jamboree at A.P. Hill after 2010 was that those in chanrge said that they needed the base for more training and would not be able to handle the Jamboree.

I feel that this was a way for the Administration to side step future lawsuits concerning use of the base.

Back in the old days, weren't there national high adventure areas in Maine and Cumberland Gap? (I know for sure about Maine -- I was there in '76 -- and it still exists as a council-run base, with some of the same staff).

I was gone from the program from about '78 until early this century, so I missed when both were dropped from the "national" high adventure program.

I am rally excited about the third "focus" of the location search "opportunities for national leadership and outdoor skills training". I am near vol_scouter in Tennessee, and having a training center this close is going to be great.

Looking at Hal's post on the National Capital Council's follow-up press release, I got confused. But I just re-read the original press release from national, and it all seems to be fitting together.

Goshen Scout Reservation (which will still remain a council run reservation) will be the new permanent home of the National Jamboree. And there is to be a new High Adventure base in West Virginia. But the remarks on the new National Scouting Center were not made to associate it directly with either of these locations. I had taken it to be that the National Scouting Center was to be a year round facility at the permanent site of the National Jamboree, and that is just not what it says.

I am going to guess that the NSC will likely be connected to the high adventure base, just as Philmont Training Center is connected to Philmont Scout Ranch. But that is just speculation.

Regardless, this is all in the planning and contract negotiation stages. There are many details which still have to be worked out, and it may be a year or longer before we learn all that is planned.

Admittedly, I am still most courious about the West Virgina High Adventure Base. Has anyone heard any more about this?(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)