National committee reorganization

Well, we're not too clear on the structure of the national office, or the terms they are using.

In the old days, the big groups were called division. You had the 3 program Divisions, but you also have divisions like Relationships, National Supply, Jamboree, etc.

I don't think they are using the term 'division' at all now.

I do see the use of the term 'team', but I think those are for groups at the 2nd or 3rd level of the org. Maybe 'departments' are used at one level.

Looking at the professional chart, what are the "Innovation & Strategy", "Marketing", "Outdoor Adventure" and "Council Solution" groups called below the ACSE? Are they 'departments' or something else. I know there is a "Youth Development Team", but not sure where it is in the structure (either which group or what level).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the largest components of national staff,whose directors report to the two ACSE's,are still called "groups",based on the cover memo that came with the new staff organization chart.

In the past the groups were composed of "divisions",some of which were further sub-divided into "services".

I don't know if these two terms are still being used,or how the term "department" fits into the new structure.Perhaps it's now being used instead of one of the old terms.

The new chart was being introduced at a professional meeting,and its cover memo mentioned that additional details would also be available at that time.I would expect that by now a more complete chart,including the lower levels,has been posted somewhere on the Scoutnet intranet.We need a BSA staff person with access to it to extact that information and provide it as a link or attachment.That should answer most of the questions we have.

Hello,

Things still seem to be shaking out. I would say that for individual units, the effect of the National reorganization in the short term will be small. Hopefully, over time, it will be substantive and positive. For Districts, pretty much the same. For councils, in some areas like financial support, things may change a bit. But even there, I believe that it will take some time.

Some very good National pros are now in leadership positions as are some very good National volunteers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now seen another reference to a "department" at the national BSA office,specifically Jamboree Department.Since I believe the personnel supporting this event on a long-term basis constituted a division in the old organization,this leads me to wonder whether the term "department" has now replaced "division".

My sense is that until we somehow obtain access to the details of the structure of the national staff below the "group" level shown on the charts listed above,we're just going to be guessing about all of this.

Hopefully we could also learn about the structure of national volunteers below the level of the committees also shown on the charts above.This should assist is understanding how the national staff and volunteers are expected to work together in the new organization.

Anyone out there know a friendly professional in your council office who might be willing to access Scoutnet to obtain this information?

Well, the Jamboree Staff Guide that just came out this month refers to the "Jamboree Division", with Groups within it.

But then later on, refer to the "Jamboree Group", but still refer to the subgroups as "Groups".

However, this may just be stuff they didn't edit out from the prior staff guide.

Maybe the org levels are department-group-team.

From another online source I've obtained a little more information.Apparently the largest components of the national office are still "groups".These are now comprised of "departments"(rather than the former divisions).

I've also seen the term "team" used,but am not sure how it fits into the new structure.

If I obtain any more specifics I'll share them.

I hate to say it but I agree with the comment:

"many times our councils don't know jacksh*t or are part of the problem we're trying to solve."

I am still not even 2 years into Boy Scouting (with at least 15 years Girl Scouting between myself and my daughter) and I still am mystified with the whole overall communication/leadership/structure thing.

Its not our pack issue, its a global policies issue.

I think one of the biggest difference between the BSA and GSA (not from experience, but from it being explained to me by others) is that the BSA charters independent organization with ownership of the local program, who in turn charter local units with ownership in the program...

Girl Scouts are centralized and ownership remains with the national council and is licensed to local "neighborhoods" or councils and in turn troops.

This is a fundamental organizational difference and produces or necessitates a different communications matrix.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on reviewing the new organization charts for the national office and national volunteer leadership it appears that there is a least a limited correlation between them.

1.There are eight "groups" on the national office chart which report to the two ACSE's.Seven of them have a corresponding "standing" committee on the volunteer chart(the controller does not).

2.The standing committees collectively contain 28 "support" committees.The office groups are composed of "departments".I would expect that there is a correlation between support committees and departments.But since I don't have access to a more detailed chart of the office I can't evaluate this at this time.

3.There are 5 "special" committees and 4 "ad-hoc" committees on the volunteer chart.There are a variety of independent departments on the office chart which report directly to one of the two ACSE's or the CSE,rather than being in one of the eight groups.There appears to be a partial correlation between these two types of committees on the volunteer chart and these independent departments on the office chart.But there are committees without a corresponding department shown,and departments without a corresponding committee shown.

To be able to do a complete analysis we really need a detailed chart of the national office that includes the new departments and other sub-divisions.

I would expect that someone within the national office has already produced a list that compares the professional and volunteer components of the new national organization.If we could acquire access to that that should answer many of the questions we've been asking.

To quote my old Wood Badge Course Director "Don't overwork the problem." I have had a little involvement with the new National structure and it currently seems to be fluid, both in terms of professional and of volunteer responsibilities. So if you have a specific task you want or need to get done, your local council can probably help you find the current right person. But exactly how things will happen when all the dust has settled is still a bit up in the air.

I have not had much success in obtaining answers to detailed questions about national operations unless I have a sourse in the national office willing to provide them.

I am a detailed-oriented person,for which I don't apologize.I've also learned that if one has access to how a group is organized it can answer many(though not all)of these types of questions,so that we don't have to make guesses based on incomplete information.

I suspect that the answers to most of the questions above are available on the Scoutnet intranet service.If someone with access to it is willing to research this a little and post it here,that should handle most of the questions we have been discussing.

I have not had much success in obtaining answers to detailed questions about national operations unless I have a sourse in the national office willing to provide them.

I am a detailed-oriented person,for which I don't apologize.I've also learned that if one has access to how a group is organized it can answer many(though not all)of these types of questions,so that we don't have to make guesses based on incomplete information.

I suspect that the answers to most of the questions above are available on the Scoutnet intranet service.If someone with access to it is willing to research this a little and post it here,that should handle most of the questions we have been discussing.