I understand the sentiment (and I'm part of the district committee, along with being active in a troop). In general, I think our unit has very little contact with the district other than the advancement committee, at EBoR time, and the activities committee, for district activities.

For the last couple of years, we haven't even had a UC -- now someone new is assigned, and it's like there's a little confusion of "who's assisting who". I see both sides from the district committee view, but at the unit level I'm getting a sense of "just who exactly is this guy, and why do we need him?"

If you've been to Roundtable, been to training, if you've had an OA dance team help at your Webelos cross-over, if you took Cubs to day-camp last summer, etc., etc., . . . then you've been impacted by your District.

The District exists to provide assistance to the units chartered within its boundaries. If you're not being helped by your District, then its time you had a chat with your UC (or if you don't have one, with your District Commissioner).

If you've never been to RT and don't have a UC, it can be difficult for the District to know your needs, so reach out to your District Commissioner, District Chairman and District Executive (in that order).

I asked this questin with an intentin to follwo up and then lost track of this one.

As was painfully pointed out one Saturday afternoon at a Camporee that wasn't planned well, I voiced displeasure that "District can't do anything right", it was carefully yet directly told to me who Disitrct is, its composed of Scouter either in units in the District or Scouters whose sons have aged out, rarely is it "lay" people who don't know scouting, District is volunteers, just like unit leaders and each has their competing priorities and obligations. District is us, enemy or not

About a year ago, I had virtually no idea what my district was all about, other than I knew the DE. I asked him if our town had a UC that covered units. The answer I got was "well..." and then an explanation of how the district is in a rebuilding process. I also received an invitation to join the district committee.

Having been on the committee since last June or so, and being part of a unit committee, while also being closely associated with a Cub Scout pack that my youngest belongs to (my wife is more actively involved with that unit -- they meet on a night when I have a regular conflict), I now can see both sides of the issue, just like many of you do.

I see how little involvement there is with the monthly roundtable (there are close to 50 units in the district, and I see about the same 10 regulars at the monthly roundtable). I see how a district activities chair, and his small crew of volunteers, plan virtually all programs in the district. I see the new district training subcommittee that is ramping up on providing quality Cub training. I see the rebuilt commissioner staff, and their attempts to contact (not even "service") units that haven't had contact in a few years.

But I also see the unit side. Our troop committee chairman and I met a UC this last week, probably for the first time in 2 years. He's new, so he's getting OJT as well. The Cub Scout pack, who desperately needs UC help, hasn't had contact yet (I've seen both sides, and I can't attribute fault to either side; it just is). This is just with the units I know firsthand. The other 48 or so units in the district? Who knows...

I sometimes wonder if the average unit thinks that the district is just a non-entity, or worse, a burden. Which is unfair, because I see the same small group at the monthly district committee meeting, and I see how much they add to the program (I don't even see the collection of UCs that meet the night prior to the committee meeting).

Everyone I've met that assists with the district has a common goal. They seem to want to deliver a quality program for everyone in the district. Not just their own sons' units, but to everyone. Very little love comes back to them. A good example would be what I heard at the last meeting. The wrapup on the Klondike Derby was excellent -- increased turnout compared to recent years, and the program that day went well (the one thing that didn't go well was overnight guests -- it was a below zero night, and there weren't many takers on the overnight). Good numbers of Webelos attending, with host troops. But one troop wasn't so happy with the location. They prefer it to be at different location, which just so happens to be the town forest of their town. The word at the district committee meeting was the site has problems including a small stream that bisects the property, and is somewhat of a barrier to cross (wet scouts, cold weather, etc).

I'm just hoping to add my small part -- I'm part of the district committee, and I go to monthly roundtables. I report back to the troop committee and SM/ASMs about what went on. I've encouraged the troop to participate in some things that have fallen off in the last couple of years, and so far so good.

Guy

GKlose has a good handle on things.

Ever since BP "discovered" Scouting, things have developed in the usual organizational way.

There are some things that an individual can't do alone: grow up, learn how to live successfully. So we have families.

There are some things that a family can't do alone. So we have schools and police and hospitals and auto garages and farms and factories.

There are some things that our towns and communities can't do alone, and so we have our Counties and States and nation.

So too do we Scouts have things a Scout might not accomplish by himself. Even the "Lone Scout" is part of a larger group so as to accomplish more, be more.

There are things the single Scout can be more successful at, learn more from, make more memories from, in a Patrol.

And the Patrol can go further, see farther, learn more with a Troop.

So some Troops (and Packs and Crews) get together to do bigger things. Presto! A District!

Us adults make opportunities for our kids, and seek to make sure our progeny learn from OUR mistakes (and not have to do the same thing again) and go forward knowing what we know to be true and good; so waaay back when, BSA was created to help keep things organized and set some standards for all to agree to. "Trust me. I'm from National" ;-)

Seriously, the hybrid organization of "professional" and "volunteer" that BSA operates with has it's drawbacks and advantages. But it is ultimately up to us volunteers to give our sons and daughters the opportunities. It is for the pros to support us. And vice versa.

Now, last night a bunch of us like minded folks sat around a table at the Town Tavern and learned from each other about our individual experiences. Some because we love the ideas of Scouting, some because they also earn their living at it (another thread, perhaps). So historically, if memory serves, a talented volunteer comes up with an idea (Pinewood Derby?), the pros take that idea, codifies it and keeps it alive and "franchises" it.

Cub Scout Day Camp anyone?