Troop Committe is a One Woman Show/Scoutmaster overriding committee

A year and a half ago, when the former cubmasters son crossed over in Boy scouts, she found out that things wern't being done correctly(paperwork was non-existant,ect)and had a fit so the then scoutmaster(who had no support even though he asked parents for help every year) stepped down. The former Cubmaster took over the job of committee chair although she functions as the entire committee. During the new scoutmasters first year, things kind of fell apart while he got his bearings. Starting this past fall, we tried to get an entirely boy-run troop going. The boys showed little interest in doing anything so starting in January, the Adult leaders are telling the boys what trips they will be planning, ect.; in an effort to jumpstart the troop. Current leadership of the troop consists of the scoutmaster, myself(ASM), another ASM, and the "committee chair". The boys complain after every BOR(Committee chair + wife of the other ASM are sitting on the Board) that they were interogated.

It often seems that there are two competing teams trying to lead the troop, myself and the SM, and the other ASM and the CC. Myself and the SM are attempting to get the boys interested in the troop, meanwhile the CC and other ASM seem to be trying to prevent any forward motion.

This past weekend the SM tells me that the CC is complaining about how he's doing his job and that when he told her that his son was ready for his Tenderfoot BOR, she looked at him like he was lieing. THe CC and the other ASM are on the troop checkbook and the SM and myself don't even have much of a clue as to how much money the troop has. It seems like they(CC and ASM) treat the checkbook like their personal bank for anything scout related meanwhile all the scouts hear is how the troop has no money.

The SM and myself are ready to start going over heads in order to create a better program for the boys. Any tips/ideas/comment?

been there done that! I learned a few things along the way and this is not how I handled it - but in hindsight - it is the way I wished I had handled it - so see this as just my .02 worth...

We had a CC who was basically the Treasurer, CM, CC, and everything in between. It was her way or the highway. Period.

I would suggest the following as a current CM and UC. Again - IMHO

1. Speak to the CC discetely and relay your concerns in a Scout-like manner;

2. Set guidelines for seeing a change that you both can agree upon. Do not keep score and preserve each other's respect;

3. If this is not fruitful, contact your COR;

4. If this is not fruitful, get the IH involved;

5. Notify your UC at anypoint you are comfortable and try to have a meeting with UC, COR, CC, SM, and IH.

Kind of like a "mob" thing" - keep it in the family.

Remember always be respectful, courteous, and use this to build relationships and understanding. But always keep one thing first and you can never go wrong.

What's that one thing - the boys!

Good luck - I'm sure you will get plenty of great advice from some very experienced Scouters on this board.

First off has both the new SM completed NLE, SM Spec. and IOLS; with the cc completing troop committee training? If not then that is the first step.

Second how old are the scouts in your unit? Usually you can get input from the older ones. And if mostly younger scouts, do you think you can get some assistance from thr scouts of a neighboring unit.

Third, has any training with the youth taken place? You got to teach them HOW to plan, organize, teach etc. Get them going and they will Not want you to plan things for them.

Fourth for your BORs, have htese folks read the advancement guidelines. no BOR is supposed to be an interrogation, even Eagle.

I agree than a meeting o the minds is in order. If that doesn't work go up the chain of command.

training, training, training. As others have already said, it sounds like that's important for all involved. That includes you, if you haven't completed the basics yet.

As for some of what you've written, I'm sorry but it sounds a bit petty. She looked at the SM the wrong way? Really? It "seems as if" she's using the treasury for personal scouting expenses? Now look, if the last is true, that's not acceptable. That's a pretty serious accusation though so you need to have more than "it seems as if" to go on. If you don't, then perhaps some of this can be resolved by adults sitting down and calmly and openly and politely talking with each other. That may get you past insinuations about each other, at least.

Re-starting a troop in a different direction is very hard work. It requires that everyone involved have a common vision of how things should work, and that there's some agreement on concrete steps to reach that vision. From what you write, it sounds like that's lacking. Accusations against each other are unlikely to fix that. Talking things out in a friendly and respectful manner just might though. If you can manage to do it in a more relaxed setting you may fare better with this. (I find committee meetings to be a bad place to do big-picture vision stuff - someone's backyard over a bbq potluck or something along those lines is better - you can change the dynamic and maybe actually build a little teamwork in alternate settings)

I'm only a lowly pack committee chair, but here's my two cents worth:

Budget and spending issues must be completely visible. If you don't have an annual budget, then get together before the end of your troop's fiscal year and make one. Our pack didn't have one when I started, and although it took about 5 hours with my treasurer and (at the time) CM to dig through old records and make one, it only took 10 minutes to modify it for this year. We have a brief treasurer's report every month at committee meetings. If you treasurer isn't keeping excellent records, then they shouldn't be treasurer.

Are parents or other leaders volunteering to help with committee issues? Perhaps no one jumped in to help early on (while the SM "got his bearings"), and she's overwhelmed and has felt like if she doesn't do things, no one will.

Other than the budget stuff, which obviously needs to be controlled better in your troop, please make sure that she's getting the organizational help she needs before you jump all over her.

In reference to the money.

1) it definately needs to be open for all to see

2) a budget definately needs to be made

3) make it so that TWO SIGNATURES are necessary for the checks, with three non-related people eligible to sign off. TRUST ME ON THAT ONE.

Also recruit committee members. The more folks ivolved, the less work there is for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

The Scoutmaster and myself have been trying to get training since he took over. He didn't know about the round-tables until this past august and so he never knew what was going on. The Sm and I are planning on taking NLE, SM Spec. and IOLS in April. We both completed everything online(and I do mean everything, except the district committee training which neither of us can seem to make it through). We are trying to get the other ASM to go but just like getting him to wear a uniform, I don't think its going to happen. I dought the CC has had any training since she was cubmaster.

We have 10ish scouts with the majority being 11-13. The few older ones we have tend to be very pushy and feel it's easier to just tell everyone what to do(they are the CC's son and the other ASM's 2 sons). As far as getting help from another troop, the nearest troop fell apart and we resurrected(the other ASM and his boys came from that troop)

I've thought about the Get trained or get out thing but the CC is the one who does the charter.

The SM was planning on having a parents meeting at one of the meetings but the only one who came was my mother because the other ASM(who was the only one with anyones phone numbers) didn't call people. The SM wants each family to take on something to reduce everyones work.

Why does an ASM have the only contact info list?

You state you are trying to get the Troop to boy-led. Why does an adult have to call parents for a meeting? Why not simply announce at a meeting that they boys must bring at least one parent to the next meeting, and let the boys tell their parents?

Where is your Charter Organization in all of this?

I think LisaBob's comment about training is apt.

More than this, one underreported benefit of adult training is just spending some time together in a room. . . after a few hours of this, people start talking, ideas get discussed and issues get a bit more tenderly, sensitively dealt with.

Average troop size for the area is 15-20 boys so yes we have a viable troop. Besides that, some of the boys travel 10+ miles to get to the troop and it's the nearest one so merging isn't much of an option.

The adults lately have been taking a more active part in the troop meetings because the boys just didn't do anything. Meetings were just a time to sit around and chat.

Even if we told the boys to bring their parents, they probably wouldn't come, The troop has been so inactive for so long that parents are used to hearing a lot of talk and Very little action. Other problem is that most meetings only 4-5 boys can come because of other commitments like sports. Even if the boys did tell their parents, only half the parents would get the message.

The CO is very supportive of the troop but I'm not even sure who the COR is. The CO is very hands off with the troop although I think they want to get more involved but as a group instead of as individuals.

I've since solved the contact list issue and have been sending out weekly meeting notes as well as have collected phone # from everybody.

As for the training leading to more chat about issues, We rarely get training near enough to home for leaders to now each other well. The District round table is where most of that type of discussion takes place.