Smoking During Campouts

Looking for feedback on how to handle this issue:

Recently (tonight) it was confirmed to me by more than one reliable older scout that on a previous trip the SM, ASM, CC, and another male parent had all divvied out cigars under the dining fly and lit them up - in the presence of the boys (my son included).

What would you do, if your son had been put into this situation, and knowing what the GSS says about tobacco use? Would you approach the top leadership of the troop and call them on it in a private parents meeting? As a veteran leader and an Eagle, I am livid if this is all true, which I believe it is.

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that you will have leaders and/or parents who are smokers, and will need to smoke on campouts. However, there should be a designated smoking area OUT OF SIGHT of the kids. During any scouting event, adults should never smoke in front of the kids.

You should talk to the adults involved and make this clear to them.(This message has been edited by AnniePoo)

Yes, remind them of the G2SS if they've forgotten, or get them trained if not trained. There's not much more that you can do unless you want to start a big fuss at the level of the committee or CO.

The boys are usually pretty savvy about these things. If a parent comments about it, you might pass that buck (and a copy of G2SS) right on to the other leaders.

One more reason to have the scouts >300 ft away. About the only memories I have of adults on campouts as a youth was that they camped far away, we never visited them and that the CC smoked a pipe.

Recently my son was at a lodge training event. He texted me about adults smoking around the scouts. I told him to either remind the scouter, or ask an advisor to do so, that adults should not smoke around scouts and that smoking is not permitted at that camp (there is a smoking area out in the parking lot). That took care of it for the weekend. But this reminds me that I need to talk to him that courtesy goes both ways. As a scout he should not go hang out in the smoking area and expect the smokers to stop.

From G2SS: "Adult leaders should support the attitude that young adults are better off without tobacco and may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants.

"All Scouting functions, meetings, and activities should be conducted on a smoke-free basis, with smoking areas located away from all participants."

Based on this, I'd talk one-on-one with the SM, gently reminding him/her of the rules. I'd ask specifically what steps would be taken to prevent this type of action in the future, rather than make it into an assault on their poor judgment. You're more likely to get a better response that way.

As a youth, I had pretty severe asthma, with cigarette smoke one of its triggers. I found that out the hard way, and the smoking leaders in my unit quickly learned to adjust their own behavior. Scouts should not be forced to stand up to their adult leaders in order to protect their health.

As a camper at summer camp in the early '90s, cigarette butts were so prevalent one year all over the camp that the staff sponsored a pick-up-the-butts contest - a certain number of butts (50 or so, I think) got you a free soda at the trading post. Things have changed dramatically since, for the better.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

I chewed tobacco for 20 years. I loved it. I still have very fond memories of it. I quit cold turkey at the 2005 National Jamboree because it just wasn't appropriate in front of 40,000 scouts. That and you're packed in so tightly that you couldn't spit without hitting something or somebody. I'm not one of those folks who quit and am now an obnoxious crusader preaching to everyone about the evils of tobacco. It isn't a healthy habit, but it is an enjoyable and relaxing habit for many folks. I don't begrudge anyone making the personal choice to partake. I do on rare occasions purchase a nice cigar and smoke it on my patio in the evening looking at the stars. Personally, I would have no problem with adult leadership lighting up a cigar around the campfire after lights out. I would take issue with them doing it during the program day in front of the boys. I think a friendly talk with the adult leadership would be the way to approach it. Remember, these guys give up their personal time, energy and very often money to deliver the promise of scouting. There is no reason why they can't bond and have a little enjoyable camaraderie among the adult ranks on an outing, as long as they do it at an appropriate time.

Actually, smoking at camp should be encouraged. It may give the boys some opportunities they never had. (sarcasm)

At SM outdoor training, someone was apparently sneaking a quick smoke and started a small grass fire. It was pretty funny watching 50 scout leaders tripping over each other to put out the fire.

Personally I don't smoke but to me the idea of 4-5 leaders sitting around a fire puffing on cigars after a great day sounds kind of nice.

Every once in a while, I enjoy a good, imported, hand-made cigar when I'm out in the woods. I always make it a point to "take my nightly walk" well AWAY from camp and any Scouts. I don't even think any of the boys know that I smoke because none of them have ever seen me do it.

SR540Beaver, you know, if someone had explained to me so many years ago, that I was supposed to spit I might have become hooked on it as well. But my reaction was sufficiently extreme that tobacco was just not in the cards for me. This from a boy born and raised in NC over 50 years ago.

As for cigars, I'm afraid that's one more thing I just don't 'get'.

I think anyone can live without tobacco for the duration of a scout outing or else they just shouldn't be there at all.

I can't believe there is an issue here. As a leader, you are teaching the boys to smoke or not to smoke by your actions. I had a few smokers in my outpost. I asked them what they loved more, the boys or the habit. They quit smoking. I did not mandate for them to quit, since they have to make that decision on their own. The same goes for drinking, drugs, swearing, over-eating and a entire list of bad habits.

Does one need to smoke? I was told by a wise man this, "If a person needs a smoke, a drink, a fancy car to feel cool or have an ego lift, where is their ego to begin with?" There is a deeper issue at hand than the habit.

How does that go...."to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight" We as leaders (SM, ASM, CM, etc.) have to have a higher standard than other people since we role models to the boys. Being less than this is totally irresponsible. Its all about the boys isn't it?

An Eagle Scout drinking? Back 20 years ago, I was an ASM. I got in with the wrong crowd at work. I stopped by a bar for a drink and an hour later I went to the scout meeting. Out in the parking lot, one of the parents smelled the beer on me and asked me "What kind of a Eagle Scout was I." It was a slap in the face! I left the meeting and went home. I thought about it all week. At the following committee meeting he started to bring up what happened. I stopped him and said that it was the first and last time it would happen. The man said to me in private that he was going to be watching me. I told him, "Good idea and thanks." I never did that again. I have not been in a bar since, except to retrieve someone with a drinking problem.

There is too much at stake here. It is better to NOT start a habit that to break a bad one. I would be sad to hear from a scout that "he learned to smoke in scouts."