Noticed a uniform flaw in BL

I was looking through my son's boys life mag when I cam home today. I noticed in the headliners section that there is a young Cub Scout, Bear, that has what looks like a temporary patch on his left side and no rank patches. OK maybe he has not made rank yet.

I just thought it was kind of wierd that they took his picture without making sure his uniform was right. Just an observation.

Most likely, BL gets the pics direct from Mom/Dad/Cubmaster once the story comes in.

His pics isn't that far off compared to the pics in "The Electric Company" story... Bear hats with Tiger neckerchiefs with not a single patch anywhere on the shirt (no CSP, Unit #'s, etc..). It is what it is...many packs do the best they can with what they've got.

I did notice this month that the drawings in the "Scouts in Action" section about lifesaving are now using Centennial uniform (green) shoulder loops for the Boy Scouts. That's new this month.

I long ago gave up on getting worked up about bad uniforming in the photos of Boys Life and Scouting.

Yes, you would wish that they would make sure people are properly uniformed, to set an example for others, but it doesn't happen.

What I see a lot are photos that are obviously 'staged' (ie the boys know they are being photographed), and so will be wearing inappropriate items such as OA/Merit badge sashes and medals at a service project (those items are more appropriate for a court of honor). You also see a lot of bad uniforming on scouters in Scouting.

I also noted the new Centennial uniform being used in the cartoons in the Feb BL. Wonder if they started doing this in January?

Have posted this before....

Many years back a Scout from the Troop I served in the UK had his photo on the cover of the UK Scouting Magazine. The photo was with the Queen.

The Lad had his World Friendship Badge on the wrong pocket.

Needless to say, all sorts of letter to the editor and a lot of fuss.

We didn't know that the photo was being taken or going to be taken.

We did know that this little Lad came from a single parent home and his mother was blind.

The Lad did see the magazine (At that time there was only one magazine for Scouting.

I seen all the fuss as being very unkind and very un-scout like.

It's gotta be hard to be a judge and jury when you don't have all the evidence?

Eamonn.

Yep BL and Scouting do their best to get proper uniforming, but it isn't always possible. I know of one unit that was fortunate to get their pics in a BL or Scouting article a few years back, sorry can't remember which, from the several units at the event because they were the only ones in proper uniforms.

I came to the conclusion long ago that the folks in Irving are not nearly as passionate about proper uniforming as some of us here. As long as they're registered and their check clears, "good to go"! Blue jeans??? Who cares?

"I did notice this month that the drawings in the 'Scouts in Action' section about lifesaving are now using Centennial uniform (green) shoulder loops for the Boy Scouts. That's new this month."

Remember, the majority of these types of magazines are sent to the printers MONTHS in advance.

Since the Centennial uniform was rolled out late last year, this is probably the first opprotunity there has been to print the new image.

It also disappoints me when boys in my own Pack don't have proper uniform components (patches, #s) or have things like their recognition totems/beads put together in a sloppy fashon.

But if I mention anything or offer to help fix it, I get the "OK Mr. Holyer than Thou..." look from parents.

In my long ago, much younger, much thinner, and better looking days of youth, I often served as a model for BSA publications. During the late 1960's through mid 1970's my neighbor worked in the publications department for BSA. Whenever they needed Scouts for projects he would come get the boys from our Pack and Troop (we lived under a mile from HQ in New Jersey).

They did their best to make sure we were fully uniformed, but I'm sure somethings weren't perfect. We basically just showed up in our uniform, as is. One picture I've always regretted is in the 1973 edition of the Fieldbook. To be "up to date" with the new program, they gave me one of those silly red berets to wear. That is the only time one of those ever touched my head!