Which way should a tent opening face?

I suppose on an A-frame tent it can make more of a difference. Whether the wind is hitting a broad side or an inclined side.

Many dome style tents, the wind goes around them pretty well. Now, around here,the wind doesn't go North/South, but usually more East/West.

Personally I believe the ground is never perfectly flat. I'd rather sleep straight uphill. Down hill is uncomfortable, and perpendicular to the incline means you and your tent mate will be rolling into each other.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Scout, my troop slept in tipis. We always faced them East, maybe a little ESE, to honor the Morning Sun. Didn't really matter as there were no floors so we got plenty of fresh air.

These days, tents are more to whatever direction there is no wind.

I prefer to set my shelter up so that the door I'm using faces away from the direction that wind and weather is likely to come from, and that all depends on the time of the year. If wind and rain is more likely to come from the West, the shelter is set up with the door to the East. From the Northwest? Set up facing the Southeast. From the Southwest? Set up facing the Northeast. From the East? Set up facing the West. That's the pattern I tend to use. If I'm unfamiliar with a region's prevailing winds, I ask someone (usually a ranger - I tend to camp in state and national parks and forests).

Some of my tents have a double door (including my 12' canvas pyramid tent). I choose one of the doors as my main door - the other either doesn't get used, or (in the case of my backpacking tent) may be used as access to gear left out in the vestibule (leaving my main door vestibule gear free so I don't trip on things coming or going). I also deliberatly used the word shelter - I've simplified my Rondy gear and rarely use my 12' pyramid tent anymore (mostly in early spring and late fall when rain and frost is more likely). Now, I use a diamond fly and the most important consideration in set up is direction that wind and/or rain is likely to come from. I know I've set it up wrong if rain splashing on my face wakes me up in the middle of the night. I know I've been blessed with wisdom when it rains all night and I stay dry as powder in a watertight jar.

So I would say my definitive answer to the question is "It depends on which way wind and rain are most likely to come from" which is about as definitive as possible.

BTW, jjgoscie - Welcome to the Campfire. It seems you've caught us in a playful mood!

Calico

Do you all really get up to use the latrine? You leave a warm sleeping bag? Unless it is a solid issue, I have an easy fix -- it works and is the best if there is snow or really really wet -- strong zip lock bag with a baby diaper in it.

Ok, ok, ok, If you're over 50, drink coffee, and have a jammed zipper on both doors of the tent facing anyway but up, and there's no ziplock bag with a Huggie in it, what next?

(I'm never going camping again!)

Stosh

Thanks all! It seems like there is no actual clear cut answer which is exactly what the other leaders and I thought. When we were told to face the tent east we thought it made sense to catch the morning sun, but we were told that was wrong it was because wind blows north to south. This really confused all of us (2 out of the 3 of us being Eagles) Like I said not a question of dire importance just a question that has been annoying us one because someone determined that a webelo should know the answer and two because we could not find an answer anywhere.

As far as which way to sleep I always keep my feet towards the door, I think because that way when I climb in the tent I don't step on my pillow.

Lastly, as to which forum this is posted in, this one made the most sense. Being new here I wasn't sure but a open discussion forum seemed most appropriate for a random scouting question.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Yeah, about that morning sun thing - maybe that made sense when we camped in colored dense canvas tents which would be dark enough to take a nap in at noon on a cloudless day and might see the sun through a small gap in a tent flap or through a ventilation screen on the door, but with most nylon tents these days, it really doesn't matter where the door is facing when the sun comes up as far as light goes - the sun will pretty much infuse the entire tent with a soft glowing light as it rises. Even white canvas tents get that soft infused light throughout.