Which way should a tent opening face?

At a recent winter fun day run by one of our local Troops my WEBELO's were asked this exact question. They of course did not know the answer and neither did the leaders with them. I have been trying to find the answer online and through the many camping books that I have collected over the years but have had no luck. After the program was over, we went to the scouts running the event and asked them the answer to the question and they told us that a tent should face east because wind blows north to south. This sort of baffled all of us because wind does not blow in one direction (at least as far as we know).

Does anybody have a definite answer to this question?

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, I was taught to pay attention to prevailing winds or S or SE. This is because that is the side of the tent that will warm up faster and most cold winds come out of the North. I would bet that it depends on your location. I have used this method for about 20+ years and it has not failed me yet.

I was taught the same as 2eagles, prevailing winds or SE. But that IS location dependant.

Also to ensure that while the tent os laid out on that axis the door should be on the lee or calm side to prevent the wind from blowing any rain in thru the side you usually have the best ventilation control of.

I just figured the outside of the door ought to face outward and the inside of the door face inward. This works best if the zipper has only one tab. Otherwise if the zipper had the double tab, then it makes no difference. If one has an older tent then the door ties should be on the outside unless its raining then they go on the inside, but in either case the doors face out if your in and in if your out. Just make sure that the windows all face outward as well so as to take in the best scenery. If you have curtains on the windows then they can face inward, but they have to be closed to keep people from peeking in so then what's the point of having a window. I find that no matter which way the door faces, the floor should be on the bottom. :^)

Stosh

I think this falls into "urban scouting myths".

I was taught as a scout two different opinions:

1) Away from the prevailing wind, so the door doesn't catch the wind and the tent will stay warmer.

2) Towards the east - so the sun will wake you if you want an early start. (assuming you have tent flaps that will be partially open) A zippered shut door fly is going to provide as much sun block as any other part of the tent.

I, as the smart a** scout (and adult) I am, then asked - "well, should the door face WEST, if I plan on sleeping in?"

In my many moons since then camping and time in the military - I can assure you.... its situational.

I would suggest not setting it up facing into the prevailing winds. It'll be colder, noisier (sp?), and you'll gather more dust and leaves into the tent that way.

Other than that - face into the rising sun if you want, or face away.

Personally, I enjoy having my entrance face towards a natural scene and away from fellow campers if at all possible. When I wake in the morning, I want to see nature. At night - If someone wants to see me and shine their flashlight into my tent, I want them to have to walk around my tent to do it - at leat then I KNOW they are trying to get my attention, not just waving their light in the dark... but hey - that's just me and my quirks...

Set it however you see fit.

If both doors are on the same side of the time, there shouldn't be a problem. If they are on opposite sides, then one needs to ask themselves why they would buy such a dilema in the first place. If one can't figure out which way the door faces with one door, they have only doubled their problem with two doors. Do the doors have windows? If they do, then I'll guarantee one is going to never sleep in such a tent. They'll lay awake all night long wondering if they are doing it right.

Stosh

When I was a young scout, we were taught not to eat the yellow snow, not to face into the wind when taking care of certain bodily functions, and dig our latrines 50 ft away. Back then we never camped anywhere that had built latrines or bathrooms and so each patrol dug its own latrine. We once asked out Patrol Leader why 50feet. He said because 50 feet is too close in the summer and too far in the winter. It seemed a good compromised distance. We had really good Patrol Leaders back then.

I dont remember talking about which direction to face the door. Im not sure it mattered, our tents didnt have floors, so the breeze came from all directions.

Those were great character developing experiences.

Barry