Thoughts on homemade firestarters.

Ever since I was shown the wonder of dryer lint as a fire starter I use it for camp fires (when I can), our patio fireplace and the fireplaces in our house. I use it with some tinder (twigs and bark) gathered from the back yard and I ignite it with flint and steel. I have never noticed an offensive smell of any kind. Maybe its masked by the burning tinder?

Jblake47, I acknowledge your point about the pioneers, but I look at it from the view of recycling. The stuff would just go into the garbage anyway so why not leave no trace of this waste product of modern technology? Its thrifty like the candle stubs too.

YIS,

Mike

2eagles, yes did that as scout in mid 60's and also used them on metal zippers in winter as lubricant.

Have been using dryer lint from cotton sheets and towels as fire starter for way too many years. Last month while oldest son was on leave for Holidays. He looked at me with smile on his face and said, still collecting lint dad. Just said running low and old habits are hard to break.

The amount of hair in dryer lint shouldn't amount to a hill of beans as far as odor goes - in other words, those adult leaders were just full of, well, beans is an apt description.

You are at a crossroads here, both with this leadership and with your son.

It sounds like your son checked his resources, and came well prepared - that's the kind of Scout that good adult leaders, and good SPL's really like having around. However, he has now discovered that adults can be completely clueless at times which of course means that he's about to make the leap that you can be completely clueless at times (but then again, if I do my math right, he's just about that age - 14 - where he might be thinking that anyway - the real problem is if he was thinking it, it's now been proven).

He's also at real risk for just chucking the whole shebang when it comes to Scouting - though a lot of credit goes to him for verbalizing what he's feeling and giving you an opportunity to help him find a solution to staying with a program he seems to like. Nothing, and I mean nothing, discourages a Scout more than when his efforts aren't valued by his mentors (and that is what adult leaders are).

What appears to have happened here is that the adults have lost the trust of your son. He's pretty much told you that in saying he doesn't feel comfortable going to them anymore.

You need to start evaluating the leadership in a bit of a different light. They may be the right kind of leader for an 11 year old, but do they adjust well for a 14 year old? Are they open to new ideas or set in their ways? Can they reverse or change course or do they hold onto an idea, even if its misinformed, like a bulldog holds onto a bone? Are they trained???

Sit down with the Scoutmaster and have that friendly chat - first to get the leaders take on the story, and also to better understand the vision they have. If you come away feeling that the trust can be rebuilt, then express that to your son (but put the unit on double-secret probabation - just keep an eye and ear out, don't tell them - and be ready to act if it isn't meeting it's promises). If, however, your feeling that the situation won't get better, start looking for a new unit - or just be prepared to support your son when he tells you he's done with Scouting and wants to move on. And yes, despite the adult association arguments, this is a time for you, as a parent, to express your concerns (as a friend, not as papa bear). Most Scouts are just not capable of telling an adult that they no longer trust and may no longer respect them. We are ingrained not to say such things to our elders. But parents are good at tactfully expressing to adult leaders (most of the time)about how their sons are feeling/thinking.

Something to keep in mind, and something every adult leader in Scouting should be reminded of all the time: The MOST important volunteer in Boy Scouts is the Scout himself. Without the Scout, there is no need for Adult Volunteers. And Scouts vote with their feet - if they stop liking it, they leave. 10 times out of 10, the answer to an adult leader who asks "what am I doing wrong" as their units decline is "You're not giving the Scouts what THEY want".

Finally, (and here I put on my "wish he were in my Troop hat" - if, after your son gains his confidence in the unit back, he doesn't think about becoming a Webelos Den Chief, it would be a real shame and waste of talent - that's just my rah-rah cheerleading about Den Chiefs.

Calico

Thanks for your insight CalicoPenn. Actually, my son is only 12, and he just began being a Webelos den Cheif just before the holidays. I think one of the things that bothered Nathan so much was that at this particular camp one of the Webelos groups coming out was the den that he just started working with, and he wanted to be able to show this den leader some of his skills.

I know there has been alot said about using other methods instead of these firestarters, and he showed several. It just came as a real blow to him to have his SM and 2 ASM's tell him that they would not want to use them. I asked my son if they told him that he couldn't pass them out, and he said no, but he felt so uncomfortable after being aproached by 3 leaders that he didn't pass them out or even show them.

Scoutdad1996

One of the yuckiest lessons youth have to learn is that A dults are not always right. Sometimes they need to speak up and sometimes they nod their heads outwardly and roll eyes inwardly. My eldest learned that lesson about the same time - tell him to not let the old dogs get him down. If he was proud of his efforts that is what matters most. My eldest now has this look - it is not rude but you just know he is thinking "so are you going to stick with that idiotic statement or back peddle". His style to wait patiently. And it works well for him. Some people just can't say good job no matter what - they don't understand the concept of encouragement.

While what makes a good firestarter is a good thread, this really shouldn't have anything to do with firestarters. We've kind have lost the tree here in the forest.

2Eagles and Barry are correct. This is a learning moment for your son. He will always run into an authority figure who is on the wrong side of an issue or incorrect, at least from your son's perspect and maybe yours as well, but they are the authority. Whether its a teacher, professor, boss, whoever.

The Den leader has the authority to determine what he wants or doesn't want presented to his Den, for whatever reason. It's not subject to a vote, unless the Den leader wants it to be. Could be the best idea in the world and if he doesn't buy it... well.

So your son should learn when to move on and when to make an issue of things. If the Den Leader's ideas put his den in danger that's one thing. Otherwise it's maybe best to let it go and when the cubs get to be scouts and he is a PL he can show them what he knows about firestarters. Support your son, let him know you thought is was a good idea but Mr. X has other ideas for his den. He shouldn't take it personally.

SA