Thoughts on homemade firestarters.

Hi all. I am very new to this forum, but have been involved in my son's scouting life for the past 7 years, (since Tiger's).

On my sons last campout, my son volunteered to show a group of Weblo scouts fire starting methods. In preperation for this task he made several (40) firestarters from egg cartons, parrafin wax, and dryer lint. Now, I have noticed several websites showing this method as an easy and THRIFTY way of making these.

When he showed them to his leaders, they objected and told him that he could not use them because "they had hair in the dryer lint, and hair smells really bad when it burns." They made him use store bought fire sticks and would not budge on their position.

Now my son does not feel comfortable going to these same leaders for rank or merit badge counseling because they made him feel like what he did was not good enough for the standards they have set.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I have already told my son that I am proud of what he did in trying to work on this task. I just do not know how this should be confronted with his current leadership.

Thanks.

Instead of drier lint - which can also have synthetic fibers - just buy jumbo-sized cotton balls (check the label to make sure they are 100% cotton), put a handful of balls in a plastic sandwich bag, then add a glob (legal term) of white petroleum jelly (Vaseline), and massage the jelly into the cotton balls.

Pull out one or two balls and fluff them up a bit to start a fire. They make GREAT firestarters that, when pulled apart to expose the less schmeered center, should easily light from a sparking rod.

They can also help chapped lips, if needed.

I make the egg carton, lint, and wax fire starters for myself. All recycled materials. I use them mostly to put in my charcoal chimney to start charcoal for the dutch oven or the smoker. I have never had any odor problems and I use recycled candles collected from my rental units for the wax. Boy scouts should use neither these nor the store bought ones except in very wet weather they should have many other methods of starting a fire.

Thanks for the comments, but the real issue is how do I approach the leadership about their personal opinions. This is what really hurt my son's feelings. He now feels that what he does is not good enough for them.

As for the synthetic fiber issue, has anyone ever ran a load of laundry that is 100% cotton and checked the dryer lint, and then ran a load of all synthetic fabrics to see how much lint comes off? I have, and the sythetic fabrics produce far less lint because synthetics do not shed as much as 100% cotton.

As discussed in many areas on this forum, leaders make a variety of statements of "fact" and limit or restrict various activities for the boys in their care. Commonly heard restrictions like no sheath knifes, must be a certain rank to hold POR, etc. I have been told that I could not teach steel wool and batteries as a fire starting technique. No one could point to any scout literature so I continue to offer it as an alternative.

The leaders gave an explanation why they did not want the fire starters used. You and your son may disagree with their reason, but that is the one given. I applaude your sons efforts to make something for every member attending. A lot of effort on his part.

I can understand why your son may be hesitant to work with the leaders after this event. The best solution is to open up a conversation between your son and the leaders. They may not understand his viewpoint. If there is no conversation, there will be no resolution. Both sides need to understand your son's reaction so they handle the situation better in the future.

I know there are times that I have to make a decision to allow activities to play out or stop them before they reach the inevitable conclusion. Some times I stop the activity before hand so I don't have to deal with the mess after it blows up. It sounds like this is one of those times that his leadership stopped it before hand.

This is one case where I would have allowed it to continue to prove my point. A bad smell smelt is a better lesson than some adult telling a kid he can't. I use lint as a firestarter on a regular basis and do not notice any particular odor of burnt hair.

Our scoutmaster is fond of saying some boys learning by listening, some by watching and some have to piss on the electric fence themselves. We have a lot urinators in our troop.

HI Scoutdad

Im kind of anal about this, but all I see here is a great opportunity. Actually your sons situation is quite common for youth his age. UP until now, your son and most American boys his age have been sheltered from such experiences because we parents generally handle dealing with adults for our kids. I think this is your opportunity to introduce your son to the real world of differing opinions and communicating with people he is uncomfortable with.

You only have to look at the Issues and Politics section of this forum to see that even adults who say they are in scouting may not act to our personal standard of scout like behavior. Disappointment hurts and confrontation is scary. Let him know you understand and agree because you were there once and still deal with it to some degree. But from now on he is going to run into a lot of similar situations as he gets more independence and you are excited to help him build the confidence for it. Honestly as a SM, I was excited because it was an opportunity help a boy grow just that much closer being a confident man. Sit down and come up with little ways of gradually getting him more comfortable.

Something we do in our troop is we require our scouts to call and set up appointments with all the MB counselors. It is a BSA policy, but building confidence with adults is the reason I encourage it. And you know, it only takes about three calls and its no big deal.

You might pick something as simple as you standing on the other side of the room while goes up to ask the adults a simple easy question or setting up there next in a more neutral atmosphere. You will know better than us the best way to handle it. But, the main point here is use this situation as a red flag that your sons needs to mature in this area. As I said, just about all boys go through it. So much so that our adults are prepared to help.

As for the adults, I would bring it up to the SM in a: Oh by the way kind of approach. Then I would throw out a couple very small suggestions that might give him ideas to approach the adults. I would not make a do or die thing about it because to be known as a problem helicopter parent. The objective is to realize this is common and the adults need to prepare for it.

As for the fire starters, it sounds to me like the adults acted silly.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

ScoutDad1996,

Was your son teaching the boys inside or outside? I could see this comment being made if he was teaching inside and they didn't want to smell a building up.

I have a suggestion though. I saw this when I was a kid and I never forgot it. When I was a webalos, my leader had up find 6 places on you body where lint could be found. So of course we found four right away -- two front pockets and two rear pockets. We were stumped on the other two. So he told us to check out belly buttons. He then pulled out an entire clump of dryer lint from under his shirt! Of course our eyes bugged out and the adults in the room laughed their heads off. I don't think any one using dryer lint would be told not to use it after witnessing the big ball of belly lint! It is just too funny at that point.

The 6th place? Take a sharp knife and scrape the boys jeans. You will generate enough lint to get a fire going. Try it.

There is a 7th place, but you have to inspect the flap in your underwear. It collects all sorts of lint. I wouldn't suggest that to be taught to the boys or you will be getting calls from the parents.

As a leader, I would not have said anything to discourage an older boy from teaching younger boys. If he came and taught my boys, I would go out and buy him a flint/steel kit or one of the magnesium/striker bars from Walmart to reward him for his demonstration and teaching skills.

Tell your boy for me that he should at times ignore what adults say especially if it is negative. He did good as a teacher and was a good leader. He was training up the younger boys. I wish I had ten scouts like him. RD

I have often wondered what pioneers and Indians did before the invention of electric/gas clothes dryers. I have used candle stubs for years and they work just fine. If the boys learn to build a fire correctly, firestarters are pretty much a waste of time.

Stosh

ScoutDad1996,

When you say your son's leaders are you referring to his Scoutmaster or his Den Leaders?

I will assume he is a Boy Scout, if not please correct me, thanks.

If the issue is with a Den Leader and your son is a Boy Scout, think in terms of how much camping experience this person has. I work with some Den Leaders who do not go camping, It's a Parent thing in their eyes when the Cub/Webelos go out and sleep under the stars. They may have presuppositions that experience hasn't rid them of. In this case, IF they are approachable then let your son do so but not where the Boys they lead could possibly hear the discussion. No one likes to look like they don't know what they are talking about, especially in front of those they lead. Pre-brief and maybe even playact the discussion with your son - let him know when to quit, even if he is right, antagonizing an adult who isn't going to change over something that is this small just isn't worth it. In this realm the leaders may think it is only about the firestarter - and not necessarily the adult association.

If it is with his Boy Scout leaders then the same remedy applies but there it is a larger issue in that the Boy Scout leaders should be looking at this as a mentoring and adult association opportunity. If they fail that test then maybe a cup of coffee with the Scoutmaster and a non-confrontational discussion of the issue is in order. But you should remember this isn't about fire starters, it's about how they are relating to the Scouts and especially one scout in particular. Be prepared to listen and don't merely focus on driving home your point.

I like the homemade fire-starters, they're cheap, light, small, easy to make, and when you REALLY need it to work the first time - they do(I've never used one that didn't successfully start a fire). I do concur that they are the easy way out and don't like them to be used as regular method but do think that T-2-1 Scouts should be exposed to them early and often enough for them to see the value in carrying one or two in an emergency kit.

I have used dryer lint for years also. The hair/smell excuse is silly. Even if true, who cares? The ONLY valid excuse I have ever heard is that the lint can have rubber particles in it which would give off toxic fumes when burned. And, yes after drying an old bathroom rug or two there can be quite a lot of rug backing in the lint. You just don't use that lint.

Rather than have Webelos (please don't forget that "S"!) start melting wax in their family sauce pots, there are other ways to make firestarters. Toilet paper tubes & old candles are great items to collect for this. You can cut the tubes in half, put a piece of old candle in the middle, and stuff the ends with that dangerous, smelly, dryer lint. Dent the ends in and there you go. You can also take a piece of candle, roll it in a sheet of waxed paper, and twist each end so it looks like a piece of candy. This works great with newspaper too. Don't tell your son, but Girl Scouts call these starters Candle Kisses.

As for your son not feeling comfortable with his negative leaders, this is something HE has to work out, not you. This is the perfect thing for him to bring up at his next SM conference, or a reason to request one. Even if his SM (or especially if) was one of the leaders involved.