Why does sports/band/etc seem to trump Scouting?

SCOUTING HAS IT'S REDEMPTION (tongue in cheek)!!!

Just keep voting against your local school levy. After Tuesdays dismal school levy results, one northeastern public school system, North Royalton, a Cleveland suburb, is dropping all high school sports. They are the first public system in Ohio to take this step, and probably not the last. They already folded the spring sports programs, marching band and other EC's earlier this winter. It at least appears that they have their priorities straight, academics before sports. Bet there are a lot PO'ed parents and future superstars.

If I were the SE of the Greater Cleveland Council, I would be having the DE that covers North Royalton, pounding down the doors of the local schools to start holding a spring recruiting drive, creating new CO's, and start new Crews and Varsity teams as fast as possible. What an opportunity to promote our programs. "We can/have stood the test of time, and we're not going anywhere".

Then there was our levy. Hasn't been passed in the last 13+ years after the whopping 12.8 they pushed through the last time. We did pass the bond issue for state money to build two new school and close two old ones. We are recognized as having one of the worst budget problems in the Ohio. 14 teachers were cut after Nov.'s levy failed. Now they are going to cut more teachers, push the classes back up to 35+, threaten to cut busing, but not touch the sports (we're already pay to play), because we are always state contenders in three of the four biggies.

Another local school was listed a planning to cut more academic programs and clubs, then maybe start looking at sports.

The district next door stopped all busing back in November (never looked at the sports program) to use as blackmail to pass this levy. Theirs passed, and the buses were running yesterday.

It is to bad that the BOE's place more emphazies on their sporting programs, and are willing to keep them around, while cutting teachers, busing academic relate EC's, instead of placing the teams on the choppingblock first, over academics. I'll have to ask my cousin (the AD of Springfield College in Mass.) her opinion on this whole scenario.

NEWSFLASH from IRVING:

National has instituted a new covert program. All Scouters, family and FOS are encouraged to vote down all school levies, then appear en mass at the next BOE meeting demanding that the sports programs be the first to go. This is in an effort to boost the membership of scouting. Once this program is successful, watch out band. (TIC)

asm411, I'm surprised that you missed the article yesterday. I believe in directing the scouts to the MB's that are tied to their interests. My oldest one went from new scout at almost 15, to Eagle by 18. He realized how easy the MB's were if you used you school curriculum and sports/training programs and EC's to fulfill the requirements.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

band and other things trump scouts because scouts is currently set up to be a doormat program. as long as the boys are paid members of the boy scouts, they are "boy scouts" - no further participation required. little johnny can advance by showing up to one meeting saying "hey mr. smith, i did this (random MB requirement) at school a couple of weeks back.". Mr. Smith not wanting to upset the parents of little johnny (because he tried to have that "go get 'em" talk early on, and johnny's mom was completely frazzled with keeping up with the schedule of band, soccer, choir, school play, family reunion, sick dog, dinner, oh...and scouts).

sorry that is a negative extreme, but really, the example is this.... the other activities DEMAND participation. if you don't show up to soccer practice for three weeks, should you expect to play? if you don't show up for band practice for a month, should you be first chair? those answers should be obvious.

if the senior patrol leader doesn't show up for a month, is he still SPL? probably - he'll probably even get to use that time toward advancement.

A troop that allows its SPL to be absent for a month probably deserves him, and if a scoutmaster accepts a merit badge requirement its on his head. Then again, is he a registered merit badge counselor?

Youth only advance when the system signs them off, the local unit is the nucleus of advancement, if youth are advanced without the proper skills being shown, its the units issue, not the BSA

We live in the most conservative and wealthiest county in the state and we failed to pass our school bond last election too.

The school district is now in dire financial straights.

They are considering cancelling bus routes, layoffs, going to a 4 day school week, cancelling all sports until junior year, band becomes self funded.

Yes, we are moving to a time when scouting and EC school activities may be on a priority equilibrium.

shortridge,

Just across the cornfield from you in Canal Fulton, and your old Council.

Delaware? You still get to go ice skating in the cars on occasion. Do you still remember how to handle the vehicle when you wake up to a half inch of snow, or ice over down there?

Gern, you mean we get to keep the boys until 11th grade before they run off to sprots? Yeah!!!!

shortridge,

Just across the cornfield from you in Canal Fulton, and your old Council.

Delaware? You still get to go ice skating in the cars on occasion. Do you still remember how to handle the vehicle when you wake up to a half inch of snow, or ice over down there?

Gern, you mean we get to keep the boys until 11th grade before they run off to sports? Yeah!!!!