I was wondering if scouter would be up to a merit badge game? There are some rules, but it is really fun. Basically, a person comes up with a fictional merit badge name and everybody submits the requirements for that badge. After a period of time, the merit badge is closed and the members vote for the best requirements. The winner gets the most votes. Any takers? RD

Faith Merit Badge: (badge is a gold/silver/red flame on a light blue background)

1) Speak to a faith leader of your family's faith. Become knowledgeable about the beliefs and practice of your family's faith.

2) List for your Counselor at least 10 of the major named faiths of the world. Explain the major tenets of each.

3) Visit at least 6 houses of worship of faiths other than your own. Speak with the faith leaders at each. Learn something of their history and belief. Take notes. Discuss with your counselor how they are similar, one to another, in belief and practice, and how they are different. Can you say how these faiths came to profess what they do?

4) Define to your counselor the following terms: Monotheism. Pantheism. Atheism. Agnosticism. Meditation. Prayer. Ministry. Discuss with your counselor examples of each.

5) Assist your Troop Chaplain with a "Scouts Own" religious observance at a Troop or Patrol Campout. If your Troop does not have a named Chaplain, assist at a religious observance at your home house of worship. Discuss with your counselor what you did and why.

6) Discuss with your counselor and family how you "do my duty to God".

7) Discuss with your counselor and family how the twelvth point of the BSA Law is important to world peace.

8) Do any TWO of the following:

a) Plan to earn and discuss with your counselor your plans and progress in earning the religious award of your faith.

b) Assist in the observance of a special holiday or remembrance (other than #4) at your house of worship. Have your faith leader or family speak to your counselor about your assistance.

c) Plan and help to hold a "Scout Sabbath" at your house of worship (other than #b or #4).

d) If your house of worship holds an "Open House" for visitors or the greater community, participate and report to your counselor how you helped.

e) If your house of worship is a member or participant in a community interfaith service organization, join in a project and report to your counselor how you participated and what other groups participated.

f) Participate in some other project of your house of worship that is important to your faith or to the physical building that your faith meets in. Report to your counselor about how this project helped or improved your house of worship and why this project was important to you?

Howzat?

SSScout,

You got the idea! I was thinking of starting with a funny merit badge, but a serious MB is good too! I say go with this one being the first merit badge in the Halls of Merits. Is there any way to post an image of the Merit Badge? My brother and I used to make up merit badges when the Round Table meeting got boring. We would pass a note around and someone else would fill in the next requirement. Our first one was Litigation Merit Badge. It had a dollar sign as the letter "S" and "ue" next to it.

OK, here are the rules:

1. A merit name will be posted as a new topic in Open Discussion. For the next five (5) days, forum members will be permitted to submit one (1) requirement for the merit per day (maximum of four (4) submissions per merit).

2. No double posting permitted. If nobody has submitted a requirement post since your last post, then you are stuck waiting on others.

3. Please keep your posts in good taste. Witty is good, puns are good, crude is not good, insults are not good. People tend to use the pseudo-anonymity of forums as a license to do and say things that they would never attempt in person. Remember, we are all scouts here and we live by the Scout Law.

4. Try to avoid discussing the requirement posts until the voting phase begins. This will help keep the thread uncluttered.

5. After the end of the five (5) day submission period, a new poll topic will be started in Open Discuusion to vote on the best submission. Here is where the merits (pun intended) of all the posted requirements may be debated. The voting period will run for three (3) days. The current moderator may not vote in the poll (but will be able to cast a tie-breaker vote if necessary).

6. The winner will also be the moderator for the next merit (this prevents a single player from dominating the game). He will post a new topic (as outlined in Rule 1 above) and the game will begin anew.

Take a look here: http://www.rangerforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=993

for an example of a merit with five requirements.

Take a look here: http://rangerforums.com/portal.php?page=7&sid=9898c0249512b4203076c34c6862f6cb

for an example of the merit badge art work.

I think we should toss out rule #2 this time since this is the first Merit Badge Game. You definately do have the point. I can be the first moderator since I brought up the game. After this one, the winner gets to be the next moderator. Have fun and enjoy it. Someone may come up with a very good merit badge and have it accepted as a real one by national. I think yours has merit. (sorry about the pun.) RD

1. If you have not already earned, (with your parents/gaurdians permission) enroll in the Religious program for your faith. Discuss with your counselor how this will help strengthen your faith. If there is no program for your faith research some traiing programs available at your place of worship and discuss them with your counselor and then enroll in the program for your age group.

SSScout,

I declare that you are the first winner in the Merit Badge Hall of Fame. You have the honor of picking out the next Merit Badge idea and being the moderator. Good luck. I will be waiting for the next MB idea to come out. RD