scouts without insurance

Reading through the thread on the new med forms, and talking with some folks locally, has made me wonder what we do in cases where a scout's family does not have health insurance and yet also does not qualify for various state-run programs like SCHIP. We have at least one such family in our troop. Are there BSA restrictions on what sorts of activities a boy (or adult) without insurance can participate in? Does the BSA mandate health insurance coverage for participation in high adventure-type trips?

In my council's training classes, I have been told that a family need not have health insurance coverage to be a participating BSA member, but I have yet to see that written anywhere, so this reply may not be worth much.

The procedure explained in class was that in the event of injury during a scout activity, contact Council which then gives parents a HSR form to submit. HSR is Health Service Risk

http://www.healthspecialrisk.com/

is an insurance underwriter in Texas, here is a link to the forms at their website

http://www.healthspecialrisk.com/claim-forms.htm

On their "Generic" Claim form, Part II Other Insurance Statement answer NO. Submit form. As I understand, the family is responsible for the $300 deductible.

Last summer, we had two scouts and one adult without health insurance (and so stated on their Class 3) attend a week of Boy Scout camp. No activity restrictions were imposed. No accidents, all returned home healthy so no claim forms were submitted.

I would like to read a written policy statement about this too.

my 1c

Lisa,

Best answer in this case is for you to have a friendly cup of coffee with your own Professional Staff. Whether/if your Council has supplemental A&I insurance, and how it acts when the family has no insurance, is way beyond what any of us can answer...

I suspect this'll also apply to your District Membership Chair role, since there are certainly other kids in your District with the same challenge.

There is no BSA policy which prohibits or restricts participation in any activities (includin' "high adventure") for reason of lacking health insurance coverage, either for youth or adults. A Chartered Organization may impose such a restriction on the members of its units, but I'm not sure why it would want to (?). Most organizations are in this game for helpin' those young people and families who have limited resources.

Da BSA does provide optional, low-limits accident coverage for acute health care needs arising from participating in scouting activities. As someone pointed out, this coverage is provided through HSR. In some councils, this coverage is provided for free by the council; in other councils it's mandatory for all units (and $1 or so charge is levied per registrant each year to pay for it); in still other councils it's mandatory for participation in district/council events (and a $1+ surcharge is levied to pay for it on the event costs if a unit doesn't have it); in still other councils it's strictly optional.

If yeh live in a council where it's not provided/mandated, yeh should get in your recharter packet a small flyer from HSR which allows you to sign up your unit directly. It's not at all a bad deal; for a bit less than $1 (cubs), $2 (boy scouts), $3 (venturers), yeh get basic accident coverage which will take care of the ER visit, simple fractures & stitches and the like. Good peace of mind for you and da parents.

Beavah

Our council provides the insurance with the $1 charge (not optional) at rechartering. It serves as secondary insurance for those that have their own and primary for those that don't. Good peace of mind. Because of this coverage, I strongly encourage all parents participating in any troop activity to register so they are covered.

I think it would help recruiting and "peace of mind" if the details were clearly stated in writing on the joining application. Currently, there is no mention of this on the application and worse, the required joining Class 1 medical gives many the impression that medical insurance is required. Also, give parents a copy of the scout supplemental insurance policy that applies to their son during scouting activities.

I think the reason that it is not spelled out on the membership form is that the policy isn't same from council to council. The form and the (soon to be obsolete) Class 1 are used nationwide. It would seem to be a good idea to have a consistent policy nationwide but there may be good reasons that it is what it is.

Hal

My understanding is that it DOES vary from Council to Council. Thus to find the answer you seek you need to talk to your DE or SE.

In our Council the individuals insurance is, of course, preferred but not required. Council pays for supplemental insurance to cover those who do not have (for whatever reason) adequate insurance of their own. But, as in most Councils, if the individual DOES have insurance their deductibles and limits apply before any BSA insurance kicks in.

"has made me wonder what we do in cases where a scout's family does not have health insurance"

I'm with Ed. Why would we "do" anything? This is between the family and their health care providers. I DO think it's a good idea as a unit to sign up for the BSA accident insurance. Just pay the extra buck or two per scout when registration comes along. Either pass it on to the families, or factor it in to your Unit Budget plan. Then you've done all you can do. As I recall, our Council used to charge us for it automatically. Not sure if or when it became "optional".

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about some of the high adventure programs I've seen out there. Some require insurance info and (so they tell me) won't process registration paperwork without it. Now that's not something I've had to test yet, but as we do currently have a couple of uninsured boys who are likely to participate in high adventure trips in the future, I can see it coming up.

I wouldn't want to deny kids access to activities on the basis of family wealth (or, perhaps, on the basis of their parents' level of risk acceptance, as I know at least one family in scouting who think that insurance is for the birds and it isn't a matter of expense). I just wasn't sure if this business of barring participation in BSA high adventure activities is typical, or even logical.

In the Seabase current Health and Medical Record it asks for insurance information. However it also states:

"ATTACH A PHOTOCOPY OF INSURANCE CARD. IF FAMILY HAS NO MEDICAL INSURANCE, STATE NONE."

Its silent on anything else.