Hazardous Weather Training Required??

I had submitted a Local Tour Permit application a few days ago (the first one this year) and got an email back from Council saying that someone on each trip is now required to have completed Hazardous Weather Training. Granted, this is an online training through MyScouting and doesn't take all that long - but I think I'm fairly aware of program changes, etc. and I don't recall seeing anything about this new requirement! Does anyone have any info? Links to official announcements?

thanks much,

Marietta

This is stated awkwardly on page 2 of the NEW Local Tour Permit which has editable fields. I believe you can also submit online through your MyScouting account.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34426.pdf

You likely completed an older version.

I do not recall reading an official announcement.

IMO the Local Tour Permit still needs a major rewrite.

I heard about it in a training course last Spring and I saw it on BSA's safety page shortly after the tornado incident in Iowa. Don't know how long it had been there or if they posted it faster because of the tragedy.

Interesting that our council has not posted the new tour permit on their website. They have a editable version of the old form.

Our Council Office put out the following notification last week:

Attention all Scouters (Required Training):

In the September 2008 Scouting Magazine sent to all registered Scouters, you will find an article on the top (right) of page 6. The article discusses the issue Are you prepared for the Weather? The article goes on to discuss an on-line training that can be found at www.scouting.org.

The article also states that beginning on Jan 1, 2009, tours must include at least one adult that has completed Planning and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training.

To take the training, just follow the web site links to the BSAs E-Learning Management System. This is the same link to taking on-line training such as: Fast Start (all programs); Youth Protection; Troop Committee Challenge; and others. If you have not registered on this site before, you will need to: 1. Create a log-in name 2. Create a password; and 3. Have your BSA registration number with you. You can find your registration number on your BSA registration card. The national training web page will notify the Council when training has been taken. Please be sure to write down your log-in and password so that you can access the site in the future. For more information, please see page 6 of the Scouting Magazine.

Beginning January 1,2009 you must use a new, updated tour permit form. The new form is available in the Scout Shop, from our website at www.mvcbsa.com, or from our Customer Service Representative.

Yesterday's email bucket had a notice from our council which included (amongst other sundry items) the following statement:

"Effective January 1, 2009, when filling out Tour Permits, at least one adult must have completed Planning and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training. Local Tour Permit #34426"

This is a non-issue for our troop, as several of our leaders have already completed this training. I finished it the first week it was on line. Good course. Some items are quite irrelevant, just as some which apply to us do not to other areas. In spite of this I did feel it was good training.

I haven't seen any official word from my council yet. I did run across the online training when I was updating my Youth Protection training online. SInce I had a few minutes, I went ahead and completed the weather training as well. I do have one question about the online training: the YP states that it needs to be renewed every 3 years (I think this is correct, trying to remember off the top of my head), and the weather training is good for a certain time fram as well; is there a way that ScoutNet can notify via email you that your training is expiring?