When I was a Boyscout, in the 70's, our troop would receive a ribon for our flag for camporee's, 100% Boys Life, summer camp ect. The Troop and Pack that I am with now, in a different council hardly ever gives them out. Is this something that is normal now, our just a local thing?

I have found that sometimes you need to request the ribbon and fill out the paperwork. I don't believe our council hands out the ribbons it once did. Don't know why maybe cost. We do manage to add a few a year.

One you must fill out paperwork for is the National Camping Award.

Hey Hal, so what does your Troop do with all the ribbons? Toss'em out? Stuff'em in a box in someones basement? Lose 'em? Stick'em to a display board and put'em up at CoH every so often?

I know our 50 year old Troop doesn't have all of ours on the flag staff. And I truly don't know where they are.

I guess it must be a Council or District thing. For camporees and other events in our district, participates normally get a patch and that's it.

I am going to start giving out honor troop ribbons at our next Klondike. We used to give out a prize to the one troop that got the most honor troop points. A leader suggested that more than one troop should be able to achieve honor troop, based on reaching a certain number of points. I agreed and will be giving out the ribbons to all the troops that earned it and a prize to the troop with the most points.

I think giving out ribbons is a good thing, but it's something they have to earn. The leaders who run these events have got to want to include these in their budgets as an incentive award. Its a detail that is easy to forget, given all the other things that have to be done.