100 Year Celebrations?

Besides the Jambo, nothing I have seen; maybe simply surviving to then. In the red and rumors of issues with SE and camp selling. I try to stay out of the politics, but it is always there in the background. And sometimes it will directly affect us on the troop level.

Goodgoogamooga...

NCAC has a bunch of stuff on the drawing board, around the time of the NJambo.

Mebbe pipe dreams, but these were announced at a recent commish meeting:

Mini Jambo down at Goshen Scout res.,

Parade down Pennsylvania Ave.

Super Camporee on the mall or Wash. Monument grounds.

Some sort of Scout reunion of Scout personages.

And some other stuff I didn't include in my notes.

Was Obama a Scout?

The Northern Star Council has had an active committee working on the Centennial for two years.

http://www.northernstarbsa.org/100Years/

We are planning a centennial history book.

Events include a super event in May, a Scouting for Food collection designed to bring our historical collection total over a million pounds, and a dedication of our new urban camping area. Units are being encouraged to have open houses and special Scout Sunday/Sabbath celebrations.

I know this isn't very Scout like.

But I was invited to attend a meeting to discuss what the Council I serve is doing. It was on a Monday night.

I found out who was in charge of our celebrations, someone I just can't stand!

So I stayed home and watched the Antiques Roadshow on PBS!!

I'm sure that this guy doesn't think much of me so I'll bet he was happy that I wasn't there.

Sad thing is that the Antiques Roadshow was a re-run of one I'd already seen.

I wonder if someone up there was sending me a message?

Ea

SSScout:

I've heard some of the same NCAC rumors you have. My understanding is that Obama was involved at the Cub level of scouting in Indonesia. Don't know if he has any particular feeling about the BSA. By the way, the Indonesian scouting organization is the largest scouting association (over 8 million boys and girls) in the world.

Hal

Buffalo Trail Council is planning to run a local centennial jambo simultaneous with the national one. The people who don't make the cut for the council's national jambo troop get to go to the local one of something like that.

The winter edition of National Capital Area Council's Scouter Digest arrived today. In it there is a two page article about Washington area Centennial events.

A Council Camporee in the spring... we normally have district jamborees so this will be big.

NCAC Scouting on the Mall. "A showcase of all things scouting between the Washington Monument and the WWII Memorial" July 17-August 10 (tentative).

NCAC Grand Centennial Parade down Constitution Avenue (July 25 target date). NCAC Packs, Troops, Crews and Teams joined by the the Jamboree troops on their way to AP Hill. That is a lot of scouts!

The NCAC Centennial website is

http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/openrosters/view_homepage.asp?orgkey=2010

The Shawnee Trails Council and all Scout councils in Kentucky will be holding a joint Camporee in the Fall of 2010. There is a naming contest in process (entries due this month) since BSA won't allow anything other than Jambo to use any variation on 2010 Jamboree or Centennial Jamboree.

The date has been set for, I think, October 2010. The event will have activities for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Sea Scouts, and perhaps Explorers. It is expected that at least 25,000 will attend, since both the Lincoln Heritage Council (Louisville) and the Bluegrass Council (Lexington) have pledged 10,000 participants each. (Those numbers are not at all unrealistic, Lincoln Heritage has conducted several council events in the past that were near the 10k mark.)

This will be the largest Scouting event ever in Kentucky so far as I know. There is some talk that it may even expand to the point of being second only to National Jamboree for centennial celebrations, but we don't have anything like the numbers in the big councils to draw from, so we shall see.

It is my understanding that the Shawnee Trails Council was asked to take the lead on Cub Scout programing for the event, while Bluegrass and Lincoln Heritage would be doing Boy Scout and Venturing programs (I don't remember which will do each). Personally I would have preferred that STC be given the Boy Scout program assignment, since that is the closest thing we have to a strong point, and it is also my personal area of expertise. Also, I once again was forced to voice my objections to including Cub Scouts in a Camporee since that clearly does not fit with the age appropriate activities chart from the guide to safe scouting.

Proud Eagle:

NCAC is also including Cubs so I guess exceptions are being sanctioned. Our camporee will be held at Goshen Scout Reservation which has 6 camps: 2 CS, 3 BS and a High Adventure base camp. In addition there is a headquarters camp that can be used for reservation wide gatherings. I suspect that with tens of thousands of scouts spread out around a large lake, the cubs and boy scouts will have mostly separate activities.

This will be the first NCAC council wide gathering since 1975.

Best wishes for your Camporee in Kentucky.

Hal

We have heard nothing from our council yet, but that is not surprising. We will probably get an annoncement in November of 2010 of an event a week later. Timeliness and early publicity is not the hallmark of our council.

So pack your troop on a bus, come to Washington and march down Constitution Avenue with the rest of us. I actually have no authority to issue such an invite but I don't the NCAC or National would object to even more scouts marching past the White House (especially since there will be a guy from your home state living there).

YIS,

Hal

So pack your troop on a bus, come to Washington and march down Constitution Avenue with the rest of us. I actually have no authority to issue such an invite but I don't the NCAC or National would object to even more scouts marching past the White House (especially since there will be a guy from your home state living there).

YIS,

Hal

• 4 weeks later...

Ours has just started distributing an announcement/survey for a council-wide jamboree in the fall of 2010, similar to the one they held in 2007 to mark the 100th of world scouting. The survey is to get an idea of what attendees would like to see at this weekend event.