re-inventing Boy Scouts

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... Let me get this straight. In 1972 when scouting was at it's peak, the powers that were re-invented Scouting and they've lost half their membership. Now the powers that are want to re-re-invent Scouting with less individual achivement and more family orientation. My Mamma the Eagle Scout. It's sounds catchy, maybe they'll use it in their promotional material, translated of course.

Yep, sounds like a plan to me.

i don't think that they are goign to change anything except how they market to the Latino. As has been shown in other articles and what not, Scouting, once you get past the uniform and language barriers, does have alot in common with the Latino culture.

I was also wondering how they managed to do scouting in Mexico, Spain and other Latin American Countries.

The biggest obstacle scouting in the US has in attracting scouts outside it's typical demographic is the perception that it's well, a white, middle class, Christian organization and a lack of volunteer leaders that from other demographics that have scouting experience.

Personally I think it's a mistake to target a single group for outreach. I would prefer a broader approach showing how open scouting is. While I feel it could open it doors a bit more, it's far more open than the public generally percieves.

SA

It is great that BSA is again trying to expand into the Latino community but there are serious hurtles to clear before achieving any sort of penetration. In the immigrant community there is a large percentage of illegals who will not want there sons names on the roles as it might lead to them being found out and deported. Sadly, even though the son might be legal there will be hesitancy if anyone in the household is not. Even where this is not an issue many immigrants come from countries with repressive governments where it is best to keep a low profile. Overcoming these fears will take time and effort. It looks like they are launching the trial balloon in communities that have well established hispanic communities that go back for generations. Sounds like a good place to establish a foothold.

Another problem is that Latino immigrants are often working multiple jobs to make ends meet in our country. This makes parental involvement in scouting difficult.

I am not sure that the comparison to 1972 is valid. I have read in other threads that the changes in that year were the downfall of scouting and perhaps they were but I am not so sure. I graduated from high school in 1971. My school had 1200 students in 10th through 12th grades. My graduating class had 600 students; half the school graduated! I think we were the last gasp of the baby boom. (The average class at that same school is now about 400) It is no surprise that several troops went belly up in the years that followed. Could it be that it was the demographic shift more than the program shift?

Eagle92, when the CSE talks about a "reinventing" of the BSA, that sounds to me like more than just a marketing campaign.

What they actually are going to do, however, remains to be seen. I notice that the only ideas in the article that even approach anything specific come from a university professor who is not identified as having any connection with the BSA effort. He seems to just be someone that the newspaper reporter called for a reaction to what the BSA is doing. So when this professor talks about relaxing the emphasis on individual achievement in favor of more family activities, and stressing community events (a carne asada is essentially a barbecue, as the Internet has just helpfully taught me) over "sending kids away", that is just his opinion, not necessarily anything the BSA is planning. Of course, barbecues in a park and similar events would be nothing new for the Boy Scouts, and there already is a BSA family program. What this guy really seems to be saying is that Hispanics do not go for things like sending their kids to summer camp, without the family members going along. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. And as for de-emphasizing individual achievement, I suspect the BSA isn't really going to do that in any meaningful way. They will probably try to carry this out by adding a few things, marketing things better, and possibly by hiring some more professionals who will focus their time on this effort.(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Hal,

I was a couple years behind you (1974). My HS was 3000 folk, I graduated in a class of not quite 1000.

I think there were 3 issues which need to be evaluated for the 1970s program changes:

- Anti-authoritarianism: Vietnam protests were at their peak. The older members of our generation were rejecting most everything which was "Establishment." That included Scouting.

- The birthrate dropoff as the boom era waned. A boy born in 1960 was 11 and entering Boy Scouting in 1971.

- The structural change in the family as society re-defined itself.

An organization has to constantly look at how it relates to the larger community, be that locally or Nationally. Sometimes, the right answer is "don't change anything". Sometimes, it's make marginal adjustments, sometimes it's "re-invent." I think BSA tried to re-invent when it needed to make marginal adjustments.

It'd be interesting some day to have a critical history written of this era of Scouting.

Hopefully someoen from national will look at A) how the last major program change worked out, and B) talk to the folks in the field, i.e. the volunteers, before doign any major reinventing.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." George George Santayana

I think the message is clear. The BSA is reaching out and looking for way to diversify to match up with shifts in the cultural makeup of the US.

Two years ago I sat in on a presentation from the Strategic Plan 2006-2010 Reaching America's Next Multicultural Generation

http://www.scouting.org/Media/~/media/legacy/assets/media/research/02%201058.ashx

That plan looks to mirror major components that the NYT article outlined.

The council/regional executive said point blank back then that the, Cub Scout program of today will be unrecognizable in a few years. There were a few gasps in the room.

Looks like those plans are now to the point of being executed.

Back in the 70s, I agree there were many factors in the decline of membership. Add to those already stated this: Emphasis was on the Inter-City youth. The uniforms were re-designed, the books were re-written (without Green Bar Bill), requirements were lessened, etc. All of this was to get more Inter-City youth involved in Scouting. What this caused was in effect to take "outing" out of "Scouting". Many things were geared for the indoors, since those in the city did not have access to the outdoors.

With all of the changes in the past couple of years and many more that are apparently coming soon, how can the BSA highlight Traditions and the Past?

Change is not always for the better.

This will be interesting to say the least. I do agree that changes have to be made to keep up with the times. But how far and to what level? I personally think that the Tiger program added in the early 80s is the single biggest contributor to the loss of boys in the cub program today. That indirectly affects the numbers at the troop level. But you dont see the BSA getting away from it. In fact, they must be happy with the performance because they have been enhancing the Tiger program.

It would be interesting to learn how National thinks about these things.

Barry

For those who haven't seen it, this is BSA's site aimed at Hispanic/Latino communities. http://www.scoutingvalelapena.org/

Vale la pena=it's worth the effort.

With regard to change in scouting, we can't live in the past but I hope we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Some traditions probably will not be missed but scouting cannot totally give up its identity to change with the times.

There were questions not asked in the survey, particularly of the Gen X/Millennials:

1. Would you be more or less interested in scouting if it were coeducational at the Cub and/or Boy Scout level?

2. Do the controversies concerning BSA membership policies regarding gays and atheists affect your decision to enroll or not enroll your son in scouting?

(note that professional survey companies would word these questions far better than I did)

At some level the organization needs to decide if it's going to be a scouting organization serving those interested in participating in a scouting organization or if it's a business that needs to modify it's product/service to meet the needs of as many potential consumers as possible.

SA

personally think that the Tiger program added in the early 80s is the single biggest contributor to the loss of boys in the cub program today.

Why?

Burnout. The kids get tired of crafts & the like & mom & dad get burnt out helping out & driving little Johnny all over.