Annual Health and Medical Record Replaces Class 1,2, &3 Health Forms

The Boy Scouts of America has released a new Annual Health and Medical Record, a new one stop medical record for your use. This new form will replace the former Class 1, 2, and 3 forms, which will be phased out during 2009. The new form, No. 34605, will be required effective January 1, 2010, and for the 2010 National Scout Jamboree.

You can read an overview on the new form at:

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2008/12/19/annual-health-and-medical-record/

or you can find the new form on the bottom of the Scouting Safely section of the National Council website:

http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety.aspx

What do you think?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the one who keeps track of the medicals for our troop. I am glad to see everyone going to a yearly. Reasoning behind this is health changes and medical care can depend on up-to-date information. Thank goodness never had to rely on a medical form. Three years was too long of a time, sure parents are supposed to update but...

The tracking of current med. forms will be easier for me as everyone will need a new one each year.

Not a bad idea. Hopefully units can hook up with a local physician to give out the physicals for free. One of my old units had a physician in the CO who did that. And as a scout one fo the ASMs was a physician and did that aswell.

My son will be going for his annual physical in February. This will be the form that I should have the doctors sign off on now, right? I can pitch the old forms?

FOLLOW UP:

Sorry. Couldn't get the first link to load.

It IS for use now. Got it.

I think it looks good and annually updated info is much better to have on hand.

I do, however, have a point of contention with the statement that your SSN# available or some places may not render care.

Do 'John Does' nnot get treatment in the ER because no one knows who they are? No.

You will get treatment whether they have your SSN# or not.

Not that I would implicate the BSA in identity theft, but the fewer places your SSN# is written down, the better these days.

Your option.(This message has been edited by Sarge)

The larger font, an editable pdf, and getting ONE form are big improvements.

I would prefer a one page, double-sided form with critical information appearing first for ER admission. You need parent/guardian and family physician upfront, not buried. I have seen too many "Who to contact" to be uninformed neighbors. Photocopy of insurance card should be on side 1.

Instructions in how to fill out this form, weight charts, council photo permission, "grade completed" is clutter in a medical emergency.

Learning disorders needs a separate section with room for more detail.

My 2c

Based on the new height/weight tables, looks like a lot of Scouters have reached the end of their careers. My summer camp is more than 30 minutes from the nearest hospital by ambulance. How are they going to replace all of us fat Scouters? Guess I won't bother re-registering.

Wow, a recommended weight chart that doesn't want people participating in outdoor activities, especially high adventure, if they don't meet the standards. I agree with scoutldr, if this is enforced, many adult leaders will drop out. I admit, I am overweight, even without looking at the chart. However, I have hiked, camped, and canoed with no medical issues. I guess we should change the Scout Law from "physically strong" to "physically fit."

I'd be screened out too (and judging from the girths seen at recent district and council events, there is a fairly large percentage that are most likely screened out due to BMI issues), but this gets me to thinking.

I know there are fairly rigid guidelines set up for the Centennial Jamboree, which were published earlier this year -- but has there been increase of incidents at high adventure areas? Heart attacks and fatalities at Philmont, for example.

I noted before that the Jambo application for leaders stated something to the effect of "be a role model of physical fitness"...I assumed that was for cosmetic reasons. Don't want those overhanging guts and huge buffalobutts showing up in the news footage and memorabilia pubs and videos and embarrassing the BSA. With the new form, your Dr gets to be the bad guy. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for physical fitness. I assume people with other risk factors will be screened out as well. A smoker weighing 140 lbs is just as likely to drop from a heart attack as a nonsmoker who is overweight....maybe more so.

One misinformed statement from BSA in reference to SSN. It is against the FEDERAL Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) to deny anyone in an emergency situation medical help, irregardless of citizenship status, insurance status, or ability to pay. So it is NOT required by state laws to have the SSN. federal laws supersede state laws.

Thanks for posting this!! My boys are going in for their Boy Scout and Sports physical on Christmas Eve. I'm happy to have the new form to use instead of the old one!

On my end, I'll have to watch my weight, though. I'm not very far away from the "maximum acceptance" and I've been over it a few times in the last several years. =P And we have one or two Scouters in our troop who I suspect will be over the top.

Not that I don't try to watch my weight anyway, of course.

-Liz

As someone who has sat in the emergency room waiting with a Scout who needed a couple of stitches while the staff tracked down his parents to get his ssn and to verify his insurance information, I welcome the addition. (then again my ssn is everywhere thanks to uncle sam)

Would they have treated him eventually - I'm sure they would have. Were they denying him emergency treatment, nope he was stable and the bleeding had stopped. He just needed to be checked and tied up.

Would it have been nice to have the ssn and a copy of the insurance card so they would not have had to track down mom to get the info- yes.

And before I get flamed- the insurance info was on the med form but they wanted a copy of the card. We couldn't get a hold of his parents (took the opportunity to go on vacation) but we had talked with his grandmother (the emergency contact) who did know the information.