Old Scout - New Pack - Kentucky

Hey Folks,

Thought I'd say howdy. I'm an old scouter from the Dan Beard Council. Camp Friedlander rocks. Achieved Star in 1970. Did a short tour during the 80's with my son. And now find myself back in scouting as a new Cubmaster with my grandsons and a brand new Pack. We're in the Bluegrass Council, Wilderness Trail District.

I'm working with an enthusiastic group of Den Leaders and new Scouts. We've just broke ground and working on our Charter. We're in a small town, population around 900. As far as I know, this is the towns first Cub Scout pack. At least in the last 20 years.

I'll gladly accept any and all help I can get to keep the momentum going!

Glad to meet you all!

Les Jones

Pack 150 (Un-chartered at the moment)

Greetings Jones, Welcome to our chit chat ,Scouter forum. I hear you were in Scouting,that is great. But, what I heard here on other threads, that Cup Packs get big as much as 40 - 60 boys, and once they cross over, they lose 60 % of the boys to Scouting. Because many boys don't like the in experienced ' boy run concept ', and leave to join sport leagues, where they have experienced adult coaches. Have fun with kids, and install some of the virtues of Scouting to them . jambo

Congrats: grandparents make the best cubmasters. Enough detachment from day to day child rearing and a focus on keeping everything fun. Let the den leaders and the parents worry about discipline your job is to show em a good time. Don't forget to get them into noisy stuff cheers, songs, instruments, even drums think of it as generational payback.

Welcome back to the fire!

A town of 900? I've been classes larger than that. Just thinking that half them 900 are of the "other" gender that leaves 450 males and of them no more than say 10% could be cub age (were down to 45 folks) and that's for the whole cub program from Tigers to Webelos II. Take out the ones who just aren't interested and well...

Talk about a pack where every member counts. Good luck!

Jones: I hope you got your cub scout pack of the ground. I just got the spring brochure on Scout equipment. I noticed they are promoting cub scout uniforms and per say cub oriented items. I have not seen one Boy Scout in their class ''A'' uniform in the catalog. Is the BSA, Inc. discouraging of wearing class '' A ''s ?. I have seen many class ''B'' Boy Scout

uniform advertisements. Maybe, I will see some in the Autumns or the Winter issues. It bothers me that Scouting, ages 11-17 is not being promoted.I guess, Cubing is becoming more successful , because it is not boy run. " Keep it simple, make it fun " jambo

i

Jones: I hope you got your cub scout pack of the ground. I just got the spring brochure on Scout equipment. I noticed they are promoting cub scout uniforms and per say cub oriented items. I have not seen one Boy Scout in their class ''A'' uniform in the catalog. Is the BSA, Inc. discouraging of wearing class '' A ''s ?. I have seen many class ''B'' Boy Scout

uniform advertisements. Maybe, I will see some in the Autumns or the Winter issues. It bothers me that Scouting, ages 11-17 is not being promoted.I guess, Cubing is becoming more successful , because it is not boy run. " Keep it simple, make it fun " jambo

i

i

uniform advertisements. Maybe, I will see some in the Autumns or the Winter issues. It bothers me that Scouting, ages 11-17 is not being promoted.I guess, Cubing is becoming more successful , because it is not boy run. " Keep it simple, make it fun " jambo-USA

• 1 month later...

( Jones of Kenntucky )In my past experience of running a very large BSA unit, I have noticed that some of the small town Scouting, are the best. The whole town would back the unit...providing that the Council does not break it up. in order to create a new units,... for the sake of the numbers ? If you are going to send your boys to join a Troop, make sure it has experienced adult leadership, and not run on the " boy run " concept ? Other wise all it will be is "BSA---baby sitting association " Keep that Scouting spirit...jambo

• 9 months later...

Jambo

Methods change, but concepts don't. Maybe I misunderstood your remarks. R U suggesting that troops not be "boy-ran"? Boy-Ran troops are the basis for the Patrol Method. I used that concept "in the day" when I was a SM. Still works --- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am now involved w/ CS and having a blast! Also work with the district and council committees.

YIS,

LCScouter

LC Jones

I wish you the best in your quest for having a great Cub Program. I love it and I am having just as much fun if not more than my son.

I can see where some are coming from when they say that DE's come in and try to break up a Pack to make new units. I guess that is one of their objectives.

If you are approached with this, try this angle towards your DE. Instead of trying to make MORE units, ask her to help you make a more quality unit. Every boy make advancement, higher popcorn sales, more council related activities, and then you may be able to get your local business's to help by donating to the other objective that the DE has, Friend of Scouting.

That is what I would try to do if they try to make new units.