Scouting at the 2009 Inauguration‏

Has any one here participated in a Presidential Inauguration‏ ?

My Troop (I'm a ASM) has been selected via lottery to participate.

I was just wondering what we were in for.

The only thing I've heard so far is that traffic will be awful,

but we have a commuter train straight to downtown DC,so driving wont be a problem,

Thanks

Congratulations!

From all that I've read, the D.C. officials are expecting a crush of people, to the point of overwhelming streets and infrastructure. I wouldn't count on doing any sightseeing, or on coming anywhere close enough to even catch a glimpse of the big event.

Check online for restrictions on what you can bring and where you can go. It would stink if you brought along a bunch of water bottles and canteens (that whole being prepared thing), but were told to ditch 'em by the cops (think about the airline restrictions). Also have your Scouts practice waiting patiently standing in an unmoving line with nothing to do (and I say that only half-jokingly).

I'm a newspaper reporter, and we got a very, very small taste of what the D.C. folks can expect a few days after Election Day, when Joe Biden appeared at a local traditional parade/post-election celebration. Lines stretched around the block to pass through metal detectors and get into the "secure area." No bags, packs, etc. - and be prepared to have your pocketknife confiscated. And that was in tiny Delaware...

My employer is sending a host of reporters to cover the inauguration. I'm VERY thankful my name isn't on the list.

Ahhh, the memories of touring DC prior to the 2005 National Jamboree. Our council required us to wear full field uniform including neckerchief, web belt and hat while in DC. Every place we went we had to pull off our metal necker slides and remove our belt buckles before passing thru the metal detectors. Knives were not a problem as we flew and any knives had to be packed away in locked footlockers we didn't have access to until we arrived at Fort AP Hill.

Then there was the pleasure of the death march at Jamboree to see the president where we kept getting differing stories on what we could and could not have with us. At one point, we could carry a single clear water bottle, but it would have to be emptied before getting inside.

I have nothing but respect for the office of President and for our nation's capital, but man what a hassle it was in relation to scouting.

All that being said, it will be cool bragging rights for your scouts to be able to say they participated in an inauguration.

Congratulations to a fellow NCAC scouter! I haven't taken scouts to the inauguration before but I live in Arlington so I'm in the neighborhood.

According to WRC TV news this evening:

Metro will open at 4AM and is expecting "crush crowds".

All Metro public rest-rooms will be closed for security reasons but they will have "portable restrooms outside some stations.

Security checkpoints at the Mall will open at 7am.

Plan on walking.

Backpacks are OK on the Mall but not okay on the parade route.

My best advice, expect chaos, allow way more time than you would expect. Double check all of the above as things change.

The Post reported this week that they are expecting 10,000 charter buses...that's right, TEN THOUSAND charter buses!

Also on tonight's news: The city does not believe that it will really be 4 million people. Hope they're right or at least prepared to be wrong.

On the good side this will be an experience that your scouts will remember and tell their grandchildren about.

Best of luck to you all,

Hal

Sorry, I didn't realize that going slightly off-topic was forbidden. I was really wondering if some people actually thought the [incident previously mentioned] was orchestrated by [institution previously mentioned].

To get myself back on-topic, I'll just share this writeup from a DC TV station which says no sticks or poles are allowed. So I'd ask someone in charge specifically about your troop or patrol flags.

www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79091&catid=187(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Am I going crazy? OK, I know the generic answer to that - but specifically, are there some missing posts from this thread? I could have sworn that there were some additional posts here earlier and now they're missing and I'm afraid I'm hallucinating without the benefit of banned substances. As the little white-headed fly said in the movie, Helllllllpppp Meeeeee!

I used to live in DC and attended a couple of these. It will be a huge mass of people. Bathrooms will be at a premium. Bring bottled water, granola bars, patience, and money (there will be street vendors, but at a price). Also weather in DC in Jan can run anything from 70 degrees to the teens, and changeable at that be prepared with heavy rain gear, coats, etc. Be prepared for huge wait times for transport, or mass traffic jams once you are on. Be prepared not to see anything but people being there is the experience, not seeing the President. It is fun though! Just BE PREPARED for 18 -20 hours of being mostly self supportive in a city full of other needy people.

• 1 month later...