"Beavah, how about some of your legal expertise? "

"Beavah, how about some of your legal expertise?"

With no disrespect to Beavah.

I would be very careful about accepting any legal advise from someone you don't know.

I don't know most of the people who post in this forum.

I'm willing to take what they post as being true and that they are who they say they are and have done what they post they have done.

But I might never have done any of the things I have posted.

If you need "legal expertise" Go to someone you know who has that expertise.

Eamonn

Eamonn is correct. Legal advice that you get on the Internet may be interesting and it may even be correct, but you should never rely on it. You really don't know who you are dealing with. I can say I am a lawyer -- and I have, and I am -- but none of you actually knows whether I really am or not. Any responsible lawyer who does give advice over the Internet also says that you can't rely on it, it is not really legal advice, consult with your own attorney, etc. The other important thing is that most of legal issues that people ask about involve state law, and every state has its own laws. Most lawyers are admitted to practice in 1 or 2 states. The thread that I think this comes from involves matrimonial law, which is probably one of the least "uniform" areas of the law among the different states. So even a real lawyer, and even the best real lawyer, isn't necessarily going to be able to give you an answer that applies in your state and to your situation. Besides which, most people who ask legal questions in a forum like this do not provide enough facts to give a valid answer anyway (as with the thread in question.)

I mean this as no slight to Beavah, but I think it is also worth noting that he has never said in public on this forum that he is a lawyer, at least not to my knowledge. I appreciate Beavah's thoughtful perspective most of the time (even when I disagree) but let's be careful not to infer too much from others' posts.

What an odd thread to log on and see, eh? I thought there was some prohibition on usin' usernames in subject lines. ;)

Yah, what Eamonn and NJ said, eh? When yeh really need legal advice yeh have to consult with someone local. Just no way to give responsible advice on specific situations without knowin' the situation in a way only someone takin' the time to represent you can. And certainly not across state lines.

Since I'm more in da education than the practice side of things, I take a few more liberties talkin' about general principles sometimes, eh? ;) But you're gettin' exactly what you pay for. Da off-the-cuff ramblin's of a guy trying to be a friendly educator of laymen, never the professional opinion of an attorney who is offerin' a legal opinion or advice. Never, ever consider anything a furry critter with long teeth says to be more than it is, eh! :)

Questions of a legal nature come up a fair bit for NFPs, and smaller NFPs just don't have the resource most of the time to keep legal counsel on staff or retainer (and to be honest, a lot of da staff counsel for NFP entities are gawd-awful dumb :p). It does create a bit of a need. Often there's someone your CO uses for such informal guidance or low-level pro-bono work, you can check there. At da district our council level, chances are you'll find a few fellow scouters with legal background you can bounce a few questions off of when you need to. Most attorneys will be willing to give you a hand with that sort of quick consult for no more than the cost of lunch.

Remember, just like any human endeavor, there are lawyers and then there are lawyers. Not everyone is competent, and certainly no one is competent in every area. Remember, too, that best legal advice isn't the same as best ethical advice, best business advice, or best program advice for kids. Yeh have to balance often competin' issues when you consider these things.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

To be clear, I, for one, don't like thread titles with peoples names in them that are disparaging, like OldGreyEagle is a Moron, or something similar. Now, I see this thread as not that at all, however, if anyone wants this thread to disappear, let me know.

But the title isn't Beavah how about some of your Lawyer expertise, as legal expertise could mean the fine Beavah is a judge, a bailif, a legal secretary (as opposed to all those illegal secretaries out there)or a paralegal person (which while not being equal to an illegal secretary, stll raises doubts about the whole legal thing)