The order of the straight arrow...Hank Hill

Every so often Scouts are mentioned indirectly on TV. Ran across a Hank Hill episode and ran it down on the internet. Seems Arlen Texas has a boys group named the Order of the Straight Arrow, wear blue unis and do boy syuff as defined by their adult leaders. In the episode I watched last night, "Straight as an Arrow", Hank wants his son to have the same adventures he had when he was an OotSA. But his leader partner has other ideas, gotta stay safe. Indoor camping, electric fires, clean shoes, don't climb trees,etc.

The show satirices Scouting, but really talks about the middle ground. Hank shows the boys the skills side and then learns that the other man has his heart in the right place, different reasons.

HANK: We of the Order of the Straight Arrow call upon the spirit Wematanye, protector of the sacred ground that brings us cool water to drink and energy-efficient clean-burning propane gas for all our sacred heating and cooking needs. Wematanye says, respect the earth! She's ours, by God, our taxes pay for Her. Also, it says here you gotta love all Her creatures. Let's see...oh, here we go: Though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you're gonna recommend us to the spirit in the sky, with liberty and justice for all. Wematanye is with you, and with Texas. Amen

HANK: Remember, the snipe call is this: "Woo loo loo, woo loo loo."

Hank Hill: Order of the Straight Arrow. first aired 2 Feb 1997

Hank Hill: Straight as an Arrow. first aired 30 Nov 2008

King of the Hill is the BEST! I'm sorry I missed this episode. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a rerun.

Of course, after reading _The_Slippery_Slope_ (Series of Unfortunate Events, Book the Tenth), I will never again be able to listen to the recitation of the Scout Oath and Law without thinking "Xylophone!"

Anything worth doing is worth spoofing.

-Liz

Speaking of Scouting in the media... If you happen to have a local newspaper that still carries "Blondie," today's strip features a boy (Elmo) selling a "Cub Scout raffle ticket for a Christmas turkey."

http://tiny.cc/KzZdV

Wonder how long it'll take Irving to fire off a letter in response, saying that raffles are against BSA policy?

"Mike Judge, creator of "King of the Hill," is an Eagle Scout."

You sure about that? Any proof/evidence? This was something discusse on his wikipedia article, and he's not listed as an Eagle Scout because no one could find proof of this.