The (I beat everyone else to it) Early Thanksgiving Thread

When I get off of work this evening, I'll be doing some laundry and packing to head out of town in the morning for Thanksgiving. So, if I'm going to list the things I'm thankful for, now is it.....and I beat everyone else to it! :)~

I'm thankful for......

- a loving and forgiving God

- a well paying job

- a nice home

- a wonderful extended family

- a good wife. She flew to New Mexico on Saturday for Thanksgiving with her dad and step mother.

- a son any parent would be proud of. He turns 16 in February and is a straight A's honor student who is a merit badge and a project away from making Eagle. He is also the troop's SPL. He has never caused his mother or me a single problem. He is the apple of my eye and the light of my life. He will be driving himself and me from Oklahoma to New Mexico to join my wife/his mom and to visit the grandparents for Thanksgiving.

- good health for me and my family. For the past week, I've had a picc line put in and am taking a twice daily IV to fight an infection of a resistant strain of staph. Fortunately, other than the infection under the skin in my leg, I have not been sick or had to take off work except for a few doctor appointments. By having the picc line put in and being able to administer my own meds, the doctor is allowing me to travel for the holidays. The antibiotics have worked quickly to almost eliminate the infection.

- good friends

- scouting

- the love and compaionship of good pets.....one of which almost died recently and has made a full recovery. Now if his hair will just grow back where it all fell out. :)

- freedom from want

- being an American

- etc., etc., etc.

oh yeah......and scouter.com too!!!

The list is long and time consuming, howver there are two things for which I am extremely thankful for (these are not in any order nor meant to be depressing)

1. My wife's recovery from a mild stroke in August

2. My Mom & Dad who passed away within 2 1/2 months of each other are no longer suffering from Alzheimers or illness.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

My father served as a Scoutmaster and Cubmaster long before I was ever born; when I was a teenager, he was the Skipper of my Sea Explorer Ship. He passed away earlier this year at the age of 91.

I am thankful that I he lived as long as he did and that I had the opportunity to seek his counsel and know him, and that he pass on to me so much of what he knew and believed in.

The father of two of our pack's cub scouts was killed 2 nights ago in a head on crash involving a drunk driver. As we all remember the many, many things for which we are all thankful this season, please take a moment to pray for Chris and Ryan and their family, as they may be having a tougher time remembering the things for which they can be thankful.

I am thankful also for the varied and helpful advice I recieve from all of you, as we work to make scouting a better place for our boys and girls.

A happy and safe Thanksgiving to you all.

At this time of year I am always most thankful for the many blessings the Lord has provided for me. I have a loving family, a job, and a home. Thanksgiving week every year our church houses 35 homeless people. This year we have a full load of men. All ages, but more young men than usual. Some are recent vets.

Every year I am reminded that they are no different than me, with the exception of a bad decision or bad luck they couldn't beat. Not the hardcore homeless, but guys who have been deemd to be likely to find their way back into society. We share meals every night and some fellowship later on. Some short term but unforgettable friendships are made.

Our Scout troop is providing dinner tonight. The boys will be there in uniform serving the food. They will each then take a plate and have dinner with our guests. It has become much more than your average service project. To sit down and share a meal and conversation is a very personal contact. The last couple of years have been great eye openers for the boys. I think they look on the "least of these" with different eyes. For that too, I am also grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey man, I was just enjoying the thought that you were basking in the glory of starting it first.

I'm thankful for family, friends, and good health for all of them. I'm thankful for the memories of a lifetime of discovery, service, and love.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys!

I am thankful for:

1)being able to spend 19 wonderful years with the most wonderful woman on this planet (yesterday was our 19th)!

2)having 3 awesome boys (an eagle, an eagle candidate, and a bear)

3)still having my parents and my ins-law around!

4)having all of my siblings and my wife's siblings still around

5)having all my friends (including here on the board) still call me friend

6)having a job that I enjoy

7)having been associated with scouting

and

perhaps this was said the best by an 80 years old auctioneer who performed his 8th auction for our Pack:

... I am glad to be seen and not viewed!

Happy Thanksgiving!