What would that movie be like if made today?

Lem would have to be cast as an idiot because in too many movies and TV shows revolving around kids today the adults are idiots, especially the men. So maybe Lem would be a woman, possibly a woman with a secret "life companion." The ASM would probably be lurking around trying to catch glimpses of either Lem (the woman) or the boys in the shower.

Someone would come out of the closet. Someone would knock-up his girl friend. There would have to be at least one abusive parent.

Oh yeah, there would have to be a steamy sex scene.

And people wonder why I don't go to the movies anymore.

Boy, you're pessimistic! :) Allow me to present the up-to-date Hallmark Channel version:

Lem is an Afghanistan or Iraq war veteran, recently returned after earning a Silver Star for an act of heroism in saving the life of one of his comrades. However, the horrors of war have left him dealing with post-traumatic stress issues - in particular, his memory of a promising young Afghan/Iraqi teenage boy or girl who was killed or wounded in front of him and whom he was unable to save.

Back home, he gets a job teaching at the local high school. He finds that his high school sweetheart never married the guy she dumped him for, and is still single, though with a hardened, independent edge. She's also the adviser for a local Venturing crew, which is seeking a new male co-leader with experience in high adventure-type activities.

He and his sweetheart slowly fall in love again, though chastely; there would be some action-packed sequences including climbing, rappelling, trail running/orienteering, backpacking, whitewater and shooting sports; some sort of competition (perhaps a pentathlon?) in which the "runt" of the crew provides the edge for a team victory; and the Venturers help him through his PTSD issues, making him realize that he can still make a difference in the lives of teenagers and youngsters.

For a special punch, the Venturers could connect with the Afghan/Iraqi teenager (if he/she was only wounded) and secretly arrange to bring him/her over to the States as a refugee, reuniting him/her with Lem for a tearjerking conclusion.

Starring Mark Wahlberg as Lem, Rachel McAdams as the sweetheart, Meryl Streep as the tough-love principal who hires him for a teaching job and Chuck Norris as the grizzled veteran who inspired Lem to join the military in the first place and takes him under his wing upon his return.

Hollywood, you know where to find me to send my check.

Sheldonsmom, now that was funny

OK, I think any remake should have a touch of homage to the past. So, I agree with the casting although I would like to also see Kurt Russell in a supporting role as a tough as nails but with a heart of gold survival expert Robert "Snake" Plissken.

In the middle of the movie he has to perform an emgergency appendectomy on the floor of the Grand Canyon during a Superactivity with a piece of broken glass and while the Crew marvels at his surgical expertise, he explains, I had some medical training a long time ago.

Don't forget the cameo with McGyver(Richard Dean Anderson) setting up a COPE course for the summer camp experience that meets all BSA and OSHA standards using only natural materials - and no wasteful machining, that can then be taken down after camp and re-purposed in accordance with LNT principles.

I propose Britney Spears for the "Helicopter Mom" Role - who not only attends summer camp and sits in on classes but also insists on sitting on the pool deck (yeah, you know where this is going... :) ) - to ensure her "baby" - a strapping 17 year old Eagle doesn't drown in front of the Waterfront Director and his staff of five on deck lifeguards.