So what training should a JASM take--New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster Specific and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills? Would these carry over if the scout goes on to be a SA when he turns 18?(This message has been edited by jet526)

This is a really good question. The expectation of JASMs are different for every troop, but the primary objective is to give the scout challenges more along the lines of an ASM. When I was the Council JLT Chairman, we developed the JLTC (NYLT) staff position as JASM training because the scouts in that position spend a lot of time learning to teach course classes and skills for guiding the scouts during the course. It really was great training. I don't know if NYLT does as good, but I would start there.

But, you got me wondering about the adult training classes and I think that is really a good idea. Specifically I was thinking about the Introduction to Outdoor Leaders Skills. If I were still on the Council Training Committee, and I am not, I would suggest that we train new JASM scouts to teach that course to the adults. They scouts know the skills, but they would learn how to teach and work guiding scouts like ASMs but teaching and guiding the adults in the course.

Since it is unlikely your council or district would use your scouts to train the adults, have a weekend or a day where your JASMs teach your new adults the same skills they teach at IOLS. I think you find everyone enjoying the experience. We kind of this in our troop. On the first campout of the year with all the new scouts, we have the new adults sit in with new scouts in Woods Tools class. The scouts teach the whole class and we find it is a good introduction for all the new parents to a boy run program. Just go a little farther and make a day of it with fire building, and many of the same things taught in IOLS.

Barry

This scout has NYLT as a participant and a Troop Guide. He has also been to NAYLE. His responsibilities in the troop would be to take most of the SM duties in the TLT and to conduct the followup Patrol Leader training we do as a troop.

It is possible that he would be allowed to at least help with IOLS. The District Training Chair is always jonesing for instructors. It was a class at Univ. of Scouting that was lead by a scout that sold me on NYLT, this scout could do the say for others.

I thought it was an interesting thought. But apart from age restrictions the JASM is a SA. SAs are to have that training so why wouldn't a JASM? We sometimes has SPLs come to the Scoutmaster Specific, I understand it is a bit of a challenge for the SM as the SPL starts doing the "aren't we supposed to do this?"

yes I agree, but a lot of is being taught to the adults stuff the scouts already know. Since most of what adults should be doing is teaching, guiding,and mentoring, might as well let the scouts practice on the adults. If you can gets your scouts to instruct at IOLS and the boys are willing, go for it.

Barry

JASM- Junior assistant scoutmaster

NYLT- National Youth Leadership Training (Council level training)

NAYLE- National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (National level training)

TLT- Troop Leadership Training (Unit level youth training)

JLT- Junior Leader Training (Old council level training)

IOLS- Intro to Outdoor Leadership Skills (Adult outdoor training)

SA- Assistant Scoutmaster (position code, not an abbreviation)

SM- Scoutmaster

SPL- Senior Patrol Leader(This message has been edited by click23)

I use ASM for Assistant Scoutmaster in normal conversation. Some purists around here go nuts so I used the SA code. Likely the same ones who will make sure you know that while you may have a Venture Patrol in your troop that there is no such thing as a Venture Crew only Venturing Crews.

[diving for cover]

"I use ASM for Assistant Scoutmaster in normal conversation. Some purists around here go nuts so I used the SA code. Likely the same ones who will make sure you know that while you may have a Venture Patrol in your troop that there is no such thing as a Venture Crew only Venturing Crews.

[diving for cover]"

Why dive for cover?

I'm a sticker for correct terms, but I prefer "ASM" for assistant scoutmaster. I don't use SA or NA for that matter (NA is Assistant Advisor in a Venturing Crew. Go figure)

If you don't know the correct terms in scouting, check out the "Language of Scouting" here: http://www.scouting.org/Media/LOS.aspx

Btw, they give ASM as the abbreviation for Assistant Scoutmaster:

http://www.scouting.org/media/los/Abbreviations.aspx

(National used to sell this as a little booklet).

"You might also consider Vector Training, if you can find a course in your council or one nearby."

Vector Training is a training for Venturers and has not yet been released (hopefully after the first of the year). Its a 'train the trainer' type of course.

Actually, Vector is for Venturers and Boy Scouts. We ran the pilot course in our council back in March, and it was attended by both Venturers and (non-Venturing) Boy Scouts. The syllabus was supposed to be released in August.

When it is released, it is one for 14+yo scouts delivering advanced leadership and teaching skills. These are exactly the skills we should be teaching our JASMs.

Yes, hopefully, it will be out soon. Our Venturers who attended are already wearing the patch. It is pretty cool.