concerned scout leader

Suggestion

Arrange a spring time visit to your local Rifle/Pistol range- maybe the one your husband trains at. Tell the den that this trip is a reward for good behavior and that every time kids act out and interrupt or whatever it is he is doing, then they will receive demerits. Tell then all about the outing- whether it is demonstrations of various firearms, or a safety class, or even if the kids get to fire bb guns.

Sometimes the perfect carrot works pretty well.

Jeff

From what you've told us, it seems that the boy's every thought is consumed with firing the gun then reveling in the aftermath. To me this is obsessive beyond what might be called a phase.

If I were you, I would ask the Cubmaster or CC to join me in a conversation with the parent.

foto

I'm a forty-three year old man, and I think about shooting things (not people....usually). So what?

I think this could made into a win win situation for all the parties involved.

"Since Billy is so interested in firearms and shooting and hunting, I was thinking- how many of you guys would be interested in visiting a rifle and pistol range where the police and SWAT teams practice?" "You all would?!" "Well calm down. Let's see. Let's say that we could go this Spring as a special prize for really good behavior. Scouts that can't follow the rules, and don't do what the adults ask of them, will not be able to attend. Is that fair?" "Yes. Ok- well I think we should all thank Billy for his enthusiasm and persistence. Becasue of you Billy, we are all going to learn more about shooting and hunting." "THANK YOU BILLY!"

Jeff(This message has been edited by Lem)

Sounds a bit like me when I was younger. I retired in 1999 as a Colonel after 26 years in the US Army so there is definitely an outlet, other than terrorist or murder suspect, for guys like us. I chose to be a "sheep dog" and protect the flock with guns. Somebody's got to do it. Maybe this kid can be encouraged to do the same.

"I'm a forty-three year old man, and I think about shooting things (not people....usually). So what?"

Depends on why you want to shoot them. I'm a 50 year old competitive shooter and I think about shooting things to demonstrate my skill and win matches. However, just shooting things to put holes in them is really no different than taking a baseball bat and smashing them. If a boy said, "I'd like to smash all of these windows with a bat" or "I'll make my penguin look like someone smashed it with a bat" would you think it was okay?

GOLDWINGER WROTE::"Depends on why you want to shoot them. I'm a 50 year old competitive shooter and I think about shooting things to demonstrate my skill and win matches. However, just shooting things to put holes in them is really no different than taking a baseball bat and smashing them. If a boy said, "I'd like to smash all of these windows with a bat" or "I'll make my penguin look like someone smashed it with a bat" would you think it was okay?"

Smashing glass is not without its fun- I must admit. Destruction, demolition, infernos, explosions, and catching and shooting and killing and butchering things can all be thrilling. Yes, I could easily imagine using a baseball bat to defend myself. I have used a machete to carve up watermelons (that is pretty cool). I have thrown axes and knives and shot blow guns and sling shots and broken a good deal of bottles. So what? Last time I checked, hunting and fishing and trapping are all legal. So is breaking things that belong to you. So is cutting down trees, damming creeks, cutting trails, burning prairies, etc..

I defend this behavior because there is a rightful place for it.

But I would add that empathy and stewardship, creativity and productivity, kindness and care are also paramount to making a boy whole.

If I saw a kid burning spiders or torturing a dog I would be the first to educate him as to the errors of his ways.

Jeff

The fact that he gets along well with his peers is a good thing.

I would talk to the other den leaders about how they perceive this boy. Then, as a group, or just you if you are the only one concerned, talk to the parents.

There could very well be more going on with this boy than the parents have felt it necessary to tell you. Personally, I think there are a lot of indicators of ADHD and ODD.

With 4 leaders you must have a very large den. That can be a challenge to deal with, and his interruptions do not help. Unless his parents buy into it, the most you can do is to not give him the attention he wants when he disrupts the meeting. Sit him down with a short comment about his behavior and then go on with the meeting.

Since the boys could have visited the police department last year as Tigers, and there is a requirement next year in Bears for a police visit, I would not recommend going this year. as exciting as a visit to the police department is, 3 years in a row gets BORING.

Shooting BB's is not allowed as a den or Pack activity. It is only allowed as part of a council activity.