Are You Smarter Then A Tenderfoot

This weekend was our District's Cow Pie Camporee. While helping with a station, the other adult leader and I ended up in a conversation about how many leaders were sitting around by their fires most of the day on Saturday.

We were wondering if anyone else has ever ran any fun or stupid adult activities at their camporees? If so what did you do? We thought maybe we would suggest trying this in the spring or next fall and name it "ARE YOU SMARTER THEN A TENDERFOOT". All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

YIS

Eric Prather

Bicentennial Eagle

ASM Troop 915

Canal Fulton, Ohio

The problem with things like this is that at times (Not all the time or every time) They become a distraction and the adults forget the reason why they are at the camp in the first place.

If the District Activities Committee feel that there is a need to involve more adults in the events that are planned? This is something that they need to deal with.

I also have some reservations about any activity that ends up making an adult leader or volunteer seem foolish when there are youth members around.- But that might just be me?

Eamonn.

As it happens, one of the participants in my WB Troop last April created just that game... "Are You Smarter Than a Tenderfoot?" and another ran a "Scouting Jeopardy" game. They only lacked the flashing lights and Alec Trebec. Put us all on notice that as Scout leaders, we need to be knowledgeable and ready to answer with authority (or know where to find the answer) any Scouting question. 'Course, this was adults among adults, not adults in front of young Scouts.

Maybe a Game Show ran for the Scouts? Part of the Patrol competition?

At the WB, it was fun and challenging. Perhaps not for adults at the Camporee, which is for the Scouts?(This message has been edited by SSScout)

the best camporee's that I've been to have had at least 1 activity that was either for the Scout Master's to do or was included in.

Summer camp we have scout master golf - they have to make a golf club to use

our last camporee they did a scout master race - run to a sack, grab item, put on, run to next, and continue... turns out the new scout uniform is a skirt, blouse, scarf, and a purse... they looked lovely LOL

another camporee they did stretcher races and one of the legs was carrying the scout master... several scout masters had better hope they don't go down, some are very hard for the boys to carry.

while I agree the camporee is for the boys and that's what we are there for - I have to say the boys have a blast watching, laughing, and cheering all their leaders along the way.

You make a very good point about adult leaders sitting around their camps during camporees while the lads are off at their events. I think the commissioner staff can come in handy here - why not create a commissioner camp where the adult leaders can drop by to refresh/catch up on outdoor skills? You could even put together a schedule (ie: 10-10:30 am: Caring for Dutch Ovens. 10:30-11:00 am - Tricky Knots and Lashings. 11:00-11:30: Simple No Muss Lunches).

Not all training has to be done during specific training sessions - we should be taking the opportunity to offer informal "cracker barrel" training as often as possible, and Camporees seem to me an ideal event for things like this.

Calico

The best one I've seen is a cooking contest between each troops' adults combined for the meal that is served to the whole camp that evening. Interestingly barbequing whole pigs, roasting turkeys and creating out of this world stews keeps the adults pretty busy the whole day. If all the troops cook in one area, the adults get to know each other pretty good.

Barry

I like CalicoPenn's approach as long as we throw in something that you can't do online(as in the examples given), although there is something to be said for a short Adult competition(perhaps at Campfire) that that leaves the SM free to attend to any issues his SPL does decide to bring to him.

I wouldn't want to be made unavailable by an "all day type go get your ticket punched at all of these different sites" kind of thing.

And no I'm probably not smarter than all Tenderfeet(sp?), but I'll outperform a (non-career)Tenderfoot every time on Tenderfoot skills.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Heck, I just found out that I'm not smarter than a Tenderfoot.

While working with a Scout who was reciting the Scout Oath he said "physically strong" ... and I said "don't you mean physically fit?" ... he said "no, its physically strong" ... I said "are you sure?" ... and he promptly opened up his Handbook and proved it.

After 2.5 years as an ASM I'd never noticed that the wording had changed since I was a Scout in the 70's. Sheesh. It was "physically fit" in the 70's, wasn't it? Or is old age setting in all too fast??

Since one of the methods of scouting is Adult Interaction, having an event for the Scout Master or even better one where the Scoutmaster works with the youth is indeed appropriate. At our last Camporee, "Scoutish Highland Games" I went around with the boys to watch and see how they did in working together as a patrol. Once in a while I after the boys had completed a station, if there was time and it did not hold up any other patrol, I would attempt the required activity. I had fun and the boys had fun watching. Though some games may have seemed silly, it let them see that I was willing to do what ever they did and help legitimize the activity. Now being that I pitch for my churches softball team, I blew them away on the old boot toss. This had a positive effect on them and help build a little admiration for this ol' man. Jousting with them on the balance beam with pool noodles was a blast. They enjoyed getting a few shots in on me.

Back to the OP's suggestion. I think "are you smarter than a Tenderfoot" competition would be great. Doing it with the boys around would be a plus.

we are troop that used to have the adults stay away from the boys all the time. To some extent I believe too far away. As the new scoutmaster I am trying to introduce a bit more adult interaction. By this I mean, if we have a Saturday night Campfire then we all do it together, on the occasional camping trip we will cook for the boys for one meal while the cook for us another.

"After 2.5 years as an ASM I'd never noticed that the wording had changed since I was a Scout in the 70's. Sheesh. It was "physically fit" in the 70's, wasn't it? Or is old age setting in all too fast?? "

I had the same thing happen to me when my son crossed over about two years ago. I had another ASM, who never left the program, tell me it was never physically fit. Weird.

Not so very long back there was a thread about the Win All You Can Game, which is part of the Wood Badge course.

I have been a Staff Member on courses where the adult participants get so annoyed and upset that it would seem that the Oath and Law have gone out with the dish water.

At one time in the District I serve someone thought it would be fun to hold an adult Pinewood Derby race, a couple of guys nearly came to blows!!

I'm happy being an adult.

I do not see any need to join in the games and the activities that are intended for the Scouts.

I really don't see this as doing anything for adult association.

Me acting like a kid? is not going to do anything to help a Scout learn work with other adults and develop the skills needed to navigate the adult world.

Sure I'm willing to let my hair down and be a "Wild and Crazy Guy" at a camp fire.

But I see my role as providing the living example to Scouts of the ideals of Scouting. More importantly, adults provide the impetus for a Scout's personal growth and self confidence.

Eamonn

Back in the 70's when I was a Scout, it was Physically Strong. To the best of my knowledge, it had always been Physically Strong (I no longer have any of my father's Scout Handbook collection - I donated them to my old Troop - but I read them all and never noticed a change in the Scout Oath).

Physically Fit and Physically Strong are similar, but are also different. I know people who aren't "physically fit" (ie weight appropriate for age and height) yet can toss hay bales around all day without losing steam, and people who are physically fit who need to take a break every 30 minutes doing the same kind of work. Being Physically Strong included being physically fit, but also included things as eating right for strong bones and healthy bodies, taking care of one's health (being able to do 100 pushups in 2 minutes doesn't mean anything if you ignore a cold and let it develop into pneumonia), and not using substances harmful to your health and body (cigarettes, alcohol).

Now before we attribute it to old age, it could be possible that the folks in your unit always said "Physically Fit" and no one ever bothered to correct anyone. These things happen. Or of course, it could just be memory loss. Or old age. :-)

Calico