We were working on a service project yesterday. We have a new Scout who joined a month ago. He has Asperger syndrome. A very nice lad who has taken quite a liking to me. As we were getting ready to leave he said to me, "this is kind of an insult, but you're sorta old. Will you still be my Scoutmaster when I earn Eagle? I hope so."

I just loved that.

Took the troop out backpacking this weekend on the AT in PA. Seperated it into two groups. Older and Experienced did a tough ten miles, while younger, newer boys did an easy 4 miles and met at the same campsite on Saturday night.

At one point with the new boys we explained why when taking a leak you do not relieve yourself on a tree. (Animals like the salt, so they will lick on the tree, and chew on it, and possibly destroy the bark, thus possilbly killing the tree).

So one of the younger boys stated. That is why you should not kiss a deer, because he might have licked up someones urine. So one of the rules we developed is "Don't kiss any deers" Will have to remember that when the next court of honor happens.

Things they say and things they do. THere will always be the memories that we as leaders will have.

THis weekend we were at a district campout for a veterans day celebration. One of our new Bear Cubs was making his S'mores (The first one he ever made) I helped him make his Smore and made sure that it was good and gooey. He then turned and walked towards his mother. I thought he was going to just show her. He walked up to her and asked "Mama, have you ever had a Smore before?" When she told him no, he handed his smore to here and said, "Here, you can have this one then" It was sweet and made me smile. I see a bright future in this child.

Anyway I think these boys will keep teaching me every meeting and every outing.

Here's to many future years of scouting.

The one that got to me. Busy day on a campout. Sitting around the campfire. Everybody drifting off to bed, finally just me and one Scout sitting there. Only child, single Mom, nice kid.

The Scout said to me out of the blue, " I wish you were my Dad."

Choked me up. Still does.

Scout and Mom moved away shortly after that. I have no idea what happened to the boy, but almost 20 years later I think of him everytime I sit around the campfire.

I was standing by the rushing waters of the Duckabush River, enjoying a little quiet time after supper when one of the newer scouts came up and stood beside me. He was quiet for a few moments, and then he said, "Mrs. D---? I just wanted to say thank you." I answered "You're welcome. Thank you for what?"

He took his hands out of his pockets and gestured at the trees and the river, gleaming in the soft light of late afternoon.

"Thank you for choosing this place," he answered.

We were all around the campfire, and the wind shifted. Something hot flew into my eye and stung like the dickens - causing me to use a non-scouty word. Once I could open my eyes again, I apologized to all within earshot for using that word. One of my cubs then replied, "That's OK. My mom says worse than that all the time." The cub's dad was there - thought he'd die laughing.

NC

My darling little scout was dicsussing movies with his friends. They shared thier most watched videos... and my Man Cub says "well, my mom has all the grownup movies in the bedroom, and I'm not allowed to watch them."

I found out after the fact... and I'm not sure anyone believes me that the 'grownup movies' are along the lines of 'Die hard', 'Armageddon', and anything that will give him nightmares.