Should we limit leadership to one type of person?

Using ScoutMomSD's criteria of appalling creepiness, the boys in Den 1, Pack 173 of Port Jervis, NY would have been out of luck for the last 50 years.

See the article in the newest Scouting Magazine about 90 year old Marion Rohner who is STILL a den leader after 50 years in Cub Scouts.

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0811/d-news.html

GO MARION!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the ones that recruited me to be SM almost 30 years ago didn't know that single males weren't supposed to be SM and all the adults that have stayed with the troop long after their son's had aged out didn't know they weren't welcome either. I didn't have anybody say they wanted my job, the Advancement chairman's job, or the Troop Committee Chair so we all stayed on helping kids.

I'm 55 and still single and serving as an ASM since my troop ran out of kids and folded. The Troop I'm with has a SM that had a daughter, she's grown and married now and 3 of his ASM's don't have any kids in Scouting now. Thank goodness for people like us or there wouldn't be a Scouting program in a lot of places.

People are thinking the "Spirit of Scouting" is creepy.

Any scouter knows about the spirit and parents do not understand.

Also what about the School Teachers that does not have kids in school?

I am back in because of food myself.

(This message has been edited by rdcrisco)

Also has this person ever been a volunteer? I know parents that is just dumping kids at scouts and never finding out what they are doing.

The court of honor we had, 5 scouts parents never showed up because they are off to their parties and never asked about how it went.

The creepiness is from the parents who does not want their kids to learn from experienced and lifetime scouters. Scouts to them is just a babysitting service.

I am one of five adults in our troop who do not currently have a boy in the troop.

My two have aged out, but I am enjoying the program and the boys in it. Our CC's boys have long since left the program, yet has continued in the program and has continued as CC for the Pack as well since retiring as CM about 15 years ago. Our most recently retired SM had been with the troop nearly 25 years with his own boys being nearly my age.

It is a way to give back to the program and it allows for a bit more continuity as well.

We also have three young men in the program as ASM's and committee member who became Eagles and have either remained active or returned after time away for college. They are 19, 22 (one of my sons) and 29.

All of our adults know and understand all the YP policies and are there to give the boys the same quality program they or their children had. No creepiness with any of us or we would be asked to leave!

probably the use of the word creepy was over the top.

There is a muslim saying (which I believe has been used in a number of religions) which I was taught in college (those liberal havens!) that said "tie your camel first and then put your trust in Allah".

I really like and appreciate the comments above by "GAHillBilly" but trust me I am not naive. I know that most kids are molested by folks they know including parents and relatives and friends. I know there are many married pedofiles.

Again I am going to say that my point was I and all parents are allowed to choose the places we allow our kids to go and the situations they are in. We still need to teach them but we can be a blockade to stop negative situations. Again I am going to "tie me camel" and not just cross my fingers that all is okay.

Okay - male teachers, principals, etc

Not okay - a teacher, coach, leader, church leader that by himself takes a child out of the normal group/setting/etc - ie if a coach wants to drive a small group to have dinner, I would want to go. To their house, no.

I will be honest and say that when boys get to the 5th grade and older level, I will be very uncomfortable with my son going on a weekend campout without me or my husband going. The exception would be if someone was going who I had closely observed. Does that make them perfect? of course not.

It wasnt easy for us to become parents and they are my treasures. And there will be no more so I take their safety seriously. We live under a mile from our elementary and there is no way I will ever let my son walk or bike to school alone. My daughter is in middle school and last year a car pulled up along two middle school boys and tried to get them into a car. And this is 12 to 14 year old kids in what is the highest income section of our community.

Life these days are scary. From the internet predators to the in your face ones, I will do what I need to to protect my kids. And if that means as my son gets older he has to miss certain events, oh well.

Be careful on being over protective, you just may drive them into bad situations. Kids need some freedom from non-stop parent oversight. They must learn to live in the world, not a place always made safe first by the parents.  Teach them, tell them of the dangers. They need to know how bad some things in the real world are. ScoutMomSD, I am reading that your kids are just entering their teens, if this is so and you have not experence the teen rebelion ages yet, you are in for a rough time. The job of a teen is to break away from the parents. They will fight for it. Like the old saying goes: the tighter you hold on, the faster they slip away. I am an over protective parent who had to remind myself to loose the leash. It has payed off, my oldest returns for advice and now is raising 4 of his own.An In-law tried to hold too tight and were over protective. Now rarely see their kids (kids don't want much to do with them). I still worry about my son and want to fix ithings for him. A parent always will.

Fire - yes I know

A friend of my daughter's who is 13 has a grandmother who went to school (high school) with my husband coincidentally.

I know - you have to give them roots AND wings. I have a good friend who was really "close" to her daughter when she was 17 and all of the sudden she figured out her daughter was pregnant. Thats where the tie the camel comes in.

thats why I do what I can and the rest has to take care of itself. As to this forum, I dont think scouting really is in the ballpark of the problematic choices they will run into. I have always told my daughter I cant fix other people's parents. I can tell you have to behave, I can suggest to you how to work on situations but if another kids parents are nut cases, you have to be ready to deal with those consequences as they translate to the kids.

ScoutMomSD I am sorry to hear that you are so very distressed over the possibility that Proposition 8 will pass in California and ban same sex marriages! It is my understanding that you would not mind your son having an openly gay SM but do not want leaders without children in the troop to be there. A scout that will never be allowed to go on a campout without his parents being present is really CREEPY!

In addition, I am just thanking the dear lord that you are not a parent in our troop!

Judging Others

An elephant asked a camel, "Why are your breasts on your back?"

"Well," says the camel, "I think that's a strange question from somebody whose wiener is on his face.

(This message has been edited by TWOMORROWS)

Another creep checking in. Was an ASM before the kid came along. Was an ASM and SM while he was in scouts and I am still the SM.

Even creepier, the son is now an ASM as well.

And now the creepiest of all, I have served on the District Committee, as an Associate OA chapter Advisor and am still an Assistant Cubmaster.

AND I AINT GOING NO WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be honest and say that when boys get to the 5th grade and older level, I will be very uncomfortable with my son going on a weekend campout without me or my husband going.

Why? What are you worried about? You son getting home sick? Yeah he could. Your son not having fun? Yeah could happen. You missing out on something?

Why?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

One of the best scoutmasters that I know does not even have any boys of his own, and has been and ASM and SM for 30 years this year. He was an eagle and want to give back to a program that he loves.

I am an assistant district commissioner, and have no children. And like the scoutmaster above, I just want to give back to scouts.