In a cub scout pack, a den is a group of 6-8 boys who are in the same age and grade. They work together to achieve the same rank. Webelos are 4th and 5th grade boys in a den that may wear boyscout patrol patch (scorpion, cobra, etc.) to give themselves an identity just as the boy scouts patrols do; however, they are still referred to as and by their den number. The den is lead by an adult den leader.

In boy scout, the patrol is a group of Scouts (6-8 boys) who belong to a troop and who are probably similar in age, development, and interests, but not necessarily. The patrol is lead by a Patrol Leader who is one of the scouts in the patrol.(This message has been edited by OneHour)

The other, and perhaps most vital difference is that in Cub Scouting, the Den is under active adult supervision, to include program design and execution.

The Boy Scout Patrol, OTOH, is a miniature representative democracy, and the PL carries forward program ideas to the PLC, and program decisions back to the members. In a troop following the Methods of Boy Scouting, the youth have a major say in program design.

Actually, if a Webelos den decides to use a den emblem, it would replace the den number in position 2 on the Webelos right sleeve.

The Webelos den would then be known by their den name and not their den number - The Dragon Den.

Bottom line - DEN - Cub Scout program. PATROL - Boy Scout program.

Scoutnut,

You are correct and this has been debated before and I have asked our District and Council trainers. Webelos den are still recognized by as a den; however, they can use their den emblem to allow them the opportunity to act like a scouting patrol. The answer can be found in the "Cub Scout Leader Book" (BSA No. 33221) and/or the BSA "Insignia Guide" (BSA No. 33066.) "Webelos dens may have a name and wear the appropriate "patrol emblem" instead of a den numeral, but they are still a den."

Cheers,

1Hour

Yep, that's what I said.

However, what you (OneHour) said was - "however, they are still referred to as and by their den number."

As I stated, and you did too by the way, they are NOT referred to by their den NUMBER, they are referred to by their den NAME.

I have seen this happen, a Cub Den (made up of Tigers, Wolves or Bears) picks a den totem and then refers to themselves as the Eagle Den rather than Den 1. That is not permitted, they are Den 1 but I suppose that they in their den yell could say were the eagles from den one rah, rah, rah (I know it's a lame yell). They are numbers until they become Webelos.