Gift for exiting Scoutmaster

I would like to arrange to give the Scoutmaster something really special for his service the past two years, 8 years prior serving in other positions and although no longer Scoutmaster will still serve in the Troop. What type of ideas do you have as a gift. I would like to present him something that willo remind him of the Troop and of BSA.

Loking forward to your suggestions.

Dawn M

Troop 85 Secretary

How about a Creative Memories style book of the events that took place under his tenure? With pictures of the Scouts, Scouters he served and the places they all went together, copies of the awards, and recognitions the Troop received during the period?

I'd think one of those was the coolest! :)

I also think "The Scoutmaster" plaque available from the Scout Shop is pretty cool but think my first idea is the best.

As a Scoutmaster, if I were to receive such a going away gift when I step down, I would most appreciate a scrapbook of photos, short stories written by the boys and other adults, snippets with memorable moments and quotes, etc. That would be a treasure.

I would say that a nice scrapbook with stories, pictures, and such would be nice. Maybe include in it patches of events that he led.

Also as a wall memory, maybe something like this scoutmaster plaque

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=GIFTS&C3=ROCKWELL&C4=&LV=3&item=17566&prodid=17566^8^01RTL&

If the link does not work it is on Scoutstuff.org. Under gifts - Rockwell at the bottom. I think that would be something that he may appreciate.

Also if he is an office worker, they have several office sets.

When my younger son & his peers got their AOL, he'd been with the same group of boys under the same exceptional Den Leader since tigers. We secretly got all the boys together, along with their Den Chief, in uniform, for professional photos, and presented the den leader with a framed certificate of appreciation and a framed photo of the boys together (signed on the back by all the boys) at the crossover ceremony. He was absolutely speechless.

I'm not suggesting you copy this idea for your Scoutmaster; I like the scrapbook idea better. I do think that you might consider the possibility of some kind of either professional portraits or some kind other kind of specially arranged photograph of the boys in the troop, as part of the scrap book (maybe even on the cover). Just a thought.

-Liz

While not the SM, when I left my old troop, they threw me a surprise going away party. They had pics of me through the years there, they had some of friends and scouts who've moved on there. they roasted me with some of the things I did as both a scout and leader. Really touching and memorable.

One thing i'ld advise if you do have a surprise party, call the person near the last minute and get him to bring something to the meeting that will cause him to be a few minutes late. They tried to get my mom and then girlfriend to delay me, and it didn't happen. I showed 15 minutes early as usual and was shocked to see everyone setting up for the party.

I was a Den Leader Tiger -> Webelos II. When they crossed over my Scouts wanted to do something for me. So they asked my wife and son. They both said the same thing. Get him an official BSA campaign hat. They knew I had always wanted one.

I wear the hat to almost every meeting and campout. When someone asks me where I got it I tell them "The best Scouts in the world gave it to me."

My advice is to ask those close to him what he would really like and go from there.

FWIW - I also got a plaque which I occasionally look at.

Ask any SM why he does this, and the answer will hopefully be because its for the boys. Yes, a plaque would be nice to hang on the wall. Whenever I walk past our Eagle Honor Roll in our Fellowship Hall I have to stop and look at it, reminding myself of each and every boy thats on the list and many others that didnt quite make it. Especially when Im turning off the lights and locking up after our weekly meeting and Im the only one in the church. A quiet time to reflect.

To me, my prized memories are working with the boys and watching them grow. A photo book with many pictures of events and Scouts would probably be the best thing I can imagine when my time is up. Last Christmas one of our Scout Moms took our group picture from summer camp and put it inside one of those photo coffee mugs. Its my most prized mug and I take it everywhere. Not expensive but very meaningful, I get a lot of compliments on it too. Its about them, not us.

Jack

When I left my post as Cubmaster (to join my sons in Boy Scouts) after 3 years, I received a set of hiking staff medallions that go from Tiger to Eagle. That final Pack Meeting was quite memorable and touching. It was an unexpected surprise.

I carve hiking staffs with an Eagle Scout topper as a gift for my Eagle Scouts - how about something similar for your Scoutmaster?

That's certainly a gift that would be used and appreciated.

"Your Scoutmaster led, supported and guided your Scouts through their journey in Scouting. It's befitting that he is award a gift that will help support him in his life's journey."

Ok, I stole that modified quote from my speech when I present the Eagle staff at the Eagles Court of Honor, but you get the idea.

I'd love to help you if I can.

http://diamondwillow.homestead.com

Knowing that I'm probably going to be stepping down as SM in the next 8 months I've beenjoking with some of the boys about this kind of stuff. They suggested the Case "Hobo" model knife withthe Boy Scout logo (hard to find and I wouldn't use it anyway). A new red wool jacket. Too many memories in my old one.

I really like the scrapbook idea. That's something I would really treasure.

If my Troop is reading this... hint hint.

We're a troop that was founded in 1928. When our most recent Scoutmaster stepped down after 9 years of service we presented him with a copyright 1928 Scoutmaster's Handbook boxed in a wood+glass case. He had known the original Scoutmaster of the troop and we presented it as a way of saying Thank You for continuing a long line of excellent service.

When I retired as Scoutmaster the adults in the troop gave me a desk clock for my desk at work. It has a small plauqe on it with my name and the troop number. The current and past Eagle scouts got together and gave me a plaque with each Eagle Scouts name and date they earned their Eagle. I have it in my office at home.

David Harrison