I am assisting with our troop's TLT and came across this link on National's site ...

http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/Resources/newTLT.aspx

Troop Leadership Training, No. 34306A, has been rolled out to replace the Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Kit. It is organized into three one-hour modules, which can be taught individually or all in one session. The content of the first session focuses on what a new leader must know; the second session on what a leader must

be, and the third session on what a leader must do. Completing all three modules qualifies the Scout to wear the "Trained" patch under his badge of office. The new syllabus contains leadership position cards that define each position in the troop. Completion of TLT prepares the youth to attend National Youth Leadership Training.

When I tried to order from scoutstuff.org, it was not on the site - I called my Council, and was told it was backordered.

Is anyone familiar with this item?

I was able to find a .pdf online that looks like someone scanned a 35 page book, but is that all that comes in this training kit? What am I missing?

Any help is appreciated!

Not much to it. If I remember correctly the TLT can be found in the Scoutmaster Handbook. I think chapter 9 or 10. You use chapters 3 & 4 of the Scoutmaster Handbook for parts of the course. About the only thing extra in the packet is the POR description cards. It is enough let the scouts know their basic function in the troop. But do not expect scouts to come away knowing how to be a Patrol Leader.

TLT can't be found in the SMHB. Its always been a separate item.

Ask around, maybe one of your fellow scouter leaders has a copy.

I see the troop leader training cards are available on ScoutStuff, am surpised they don't have it in stock. Contact your local scout shop, maybe they have a copy or can get you one.

TLT is supposed to be done in the troop before your boys go to NYLT.

"I got home and checked. It is Chapter 7, "Training Youth Leaders", in the current SM Handbook. "

That is not Troop Leadership Training.

That is the position-specific training you are to provide your new youth leaders BEFORE you take them thru TLT.

Look again. It is word for word what is in the TLT. The only thing in the TLT kit that is not in chapter 7 are the position cards.

They now have just the cards available. The TLT packet (#34306A) is no longer available.

BTW There is a PowerPoint presentation available as well.

The new edition (2006 or -7--I don't have it in front of me) has the TLT program aschapter 7. Earlier this year, I compared it to the TLT handbook. It is a WORD-FOR-WORD copy, and it even has the exact same charts. The pages do not match because of the font size and layout, but it is exactlythe same material.

We delivered this to our boys back in March, and it went very well. It was right after crossover and elections. All boys who had not been through training and/or were in a new position attended; so every troop member attended, even the new crossovers. The SM and I ran the SPL and ASPL through their sessions before the other boys arrived, and later,the SPL ran the PL section and the ASPL trained the Troop Guides. Our SM ran the new boys through a short program of the responsibilites of being a member of a patrol (their new position). Between the sessions, we had a session of leadership games followed by a patrol meeting where the "new" patrols made their flags. We also fit in a lunch.

It went over very well. The program material was a little light, but it was good. Here was our schedule:

8:00-8:30 SPL & ASPL training SM / CM

8:30-8:40 Gathering SPL

8:40-9:00 Communicating Well video SM

9:00-9:50 Module OneIntroduction to Troop Leadership (Know)

(15) 1. The Boy-Led Troop and Living by the Scout Law SM

(10) 2. Discussion of the Boy Led Troop SPL

(5) 3. Review of Troop Organizational Chart CM

(10) 4. Position Overview SM, SPL

(5) 5. National Honor Patrol Requirements SPL

9:50-10:15 Patrol Activity PLs

10:15-11:05 Module TwoHow to Do your Job (Be)

(15) 1. Scoutmasters Vision of Success SM, SPL

(20) 2. Teaching EDGE Discussion SM, ASM, or SPL

(10) 3. Troop Progress Discussion SPL

(10) 4. Assignment

11:05-11:30 Patrol Activity PLs with assistance from SPL, ASPL

11:30-12:00 Lunch

12:00-12:55 Module ThreeWhat is expected of Me? (Do)

(20) 1. Position Breakout sessions SPL, ASPL, SM/ASM

(10) 2. Servant LeadershipMotivating Scouts to Lead

(15) 3. Defining Success in your Position

(10) 4. Scoutmaster Conference

12:55-1:00 Closing SM, SPL

1:00-2:00 PLC Planning Conference SPL

(the numbers in parentheses roughly represent minutes for each topic. We kept each topic short enough to keep a 5th grader'sattention)