Hung, drawn and quartered!

I really like the idea of getting Scouts involved in the planning of Camporees. Have the SPL of each Troop attend the planning meetings. We stress so much that the Scouts plan their outings within the Troop, shouldn't they be a part of planning district events, too?

It was mentioned that the Cub Scout District events are also dropping in numbers. We had our Cub-O-Ree a few weeks ago and we doubled in numbers from last year. I enjoy the District Cub-O-Ree, the Council Spring into Camping, and our own Pack Camping, for various reasons. Our fall Spook-O-Ree was also a phenominal success this year, growing from last year. I can't speak of the Boy Scout level. the boys are busy with a lot of other activities, but this year has shown a lot of growth and excitement.

rj

"... I recruited the adults to run the stations but the Scouts in my unit are the ones who planned each station."

We just had a local camporee which was much the same as you described. Scouts planned stations run by adults.

I had suggested that the boys run the stations but those involved in the planning chose to have the adults run the stations. I thought the Scouts could rotate between running their station and attending others. We had 3 troops with seven patrols.

Out of curiousity why not have the Scouts run the stations?

The complaint I've heard is that it's not fair to the scouts running the events, since they miss out. Yes there is some of that, but I know of some scouts who are bored with camporee. not many, but a few older ones. What we did last year was get one of the Venturing crews involved in running an event.

It's kinda like the difference between hosting an event where one's guests are a high priority and organizing an event where the priority is on the event, not the people attending.

While my boys were not all that excited about helping Cub Scouts make beaded necklaces for the recent craft project at the Cub-o-ree, they looked upon it as a service project of making sure someone else had a good time, kinda like an adult would. Maybe it's just a maturity issue.

Stosh