Laser Tag Prohibited??

Are games like laser tag prohibited as Patrol activities? Some of our boys want to do this as a patrol, but they've been told by one of the ASMs that the BSA prohibits any game that involves pretend shooting of that sort. Is this true?

If it's not true, how would you suggest I approach the ASM? If it's a *Troop* rule or a Council rule, the boys just need to live with it. But if it's just a misunderstanding, we can probably fix it.

Ironically, ours is the only "pacifist" family (religious reasons) in the Troop and we have no issue at all with Laser Tag.

-Liz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the "Guide To Safe Scouting" - Unauthorized and Restricted Activities - In BOLD type, which means it is a BSA RULE -

Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is unauthorized. Scout units may plan or participate in paintball, laser tag or similar events where participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations. Units with Council approval may participate in formally organized historical reenactment events, where firearms are used and intentionally aimed over the heads of the reenactment participants. The use of paintball guns, laser guns or similar devices may be utilized in target shooting events with Council approval and following the Sweet 16 of BSA safety. Council approval means the approval of the Scout Executive or his designee on a tour permit specifically outlining details of the event.

So, if it is laser target shooting, it is OK with a Tour Permit that specifies EXACTLY what they will be doing.

If it is laser tag, shooting at each other - NO.

From the online Guide to Safe Scouting:

Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is unauthorized. Scout units may plan or participate in paintball, laser tag or similar events where participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations. Units with Council approval may participate in formally organized historical reenactment events, where firearms are used and intentionally aimed over the heads of the reenactment participants. The use of paintball guns, laser guns or similar devices may be utilized in target shooting events with Council approval and following the Sweet 16 of BSA safety. Council approval means the approval of the Scout Executive or his designee on a tour permit specifically outlining details of the event.

This is a change from the print version which contains no provision for allowing laser tag.As played in most commercial laser tag facilities, laser tag would still be a prohibited activity.There is no prohibition against a boy calling up a bunch of his friends to go play laser tag. But it is not a scouting activity.

Thanks, guys! That clarification helps a lot. I think we do have some target-based laser tag arenas in the area. This warrants further investigation!!

The boys DO participate in tomahawk throwing at OA events (and maybe others?), and enjoy it quite a bit. My sons have been bugging me to buy them throwing axes, but then they protest when I tell them the axes will be kept in the gun safe when we're not supervising their use. *sigh* So... no axes at home for now, but it is something they sign up for at Scouts every time they have a chance.

-Liz

LOL! And a *Quaker* mother with a gun safe. Where can you top that?

I'm a pacifist, not a vegetarian. ;-) I like my venison, and from time to time I need to protect my livestock from predators.

-Liz

• 7 months later...

Plus if anything happens, you are on your own. Yes I agree that the prohibition against lazertag is ridiculous. heck my entire UK camp staff I worked with went out and used it as a team building exercise. But until policy changes again on the matter, I also advise against it.

Plus if anything happens, you are on your own.

Yah, so what? Same as havin' a birthday party or a barbeque at your house, eh? You're "on your own".

Fact is, it's probably better if yeh have an event at da local paintball or lasertag outfit. They provide supervision and have insurance. ;)

Beavah

I have to agree with Beavah, these places are closely supervised and the kids are probably safer than if they went out on a hike with the troop. It may be prohibited by the GSS but the logic is faulty and there is no danger to the participants. Make it an unofficial gathering and don't sweat it, or you can have them "throw metal tomahawks at each other" instead, lets get a grip on reality here.

Regardless of whether lasertag is safe ...

Regardless of an activity's status as unofficial (and I'm of the opinion that once you do the "no, you can't do it, so let's make it unofficial, wink wink" thing you've just made it official)

Regardless of all the possible legal mumbo jumbo (and I'm of the opinion that a lawyer would have a decent negligence case against the chartering organization should an injury occur just on the basis of violating the G2SS)...

the bottom line is what Eagle732 said...

"I wouldn't recommend trying to skirt the rules by going on an unofficial trip. It sends the wrong message. "A Scout is Trustworthy" "

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of like minded individuals getting together and going to play Laser tag outside of Scouting. If my son threw a personal Birthday Party are you telling me that because the Majority of his freinds are in his Troop they can not go Laser tagging because they are Scouts and at Scout functions they have a rule against human targeting with laser guns or paint balls? If it is not a Scout function and the kids are told it is not a scout function and kids arrive on their own brought by their parents then its just a bunch of kids getting together to have fun. Period. They are not attending a Scout function and as long it is legal and not immoral there is no reason for friends not to meet outside of Scouting and participate in a fun activity. Thats not breaking or skirting the Scout Oath or Laws.