A new one on flag retirements

Just came back from Cub-O-Ree and discovered a new "fact" about flag retirements. According to the lady in charge of it there a flag has to be flown for 30 minutes on the day of retirement to retire it. So...they opted not to do one since none of the donated ones had been flown that day...even though they had told everyone that there would be one.

I wonder what the next "fact" will be?

Pack212Scouter and fellow Scouters,

Sounds more like an excuse for not being prepared for any flag retirements that day. Surely, the Cub-O-Ree director couldn't believe in a totally new urban myth like this.

If a person is unprepared, unfortunately it is much easier to lie and have a scapegoat excuse.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

You can tell her "That is an ancient earth crockery jar of bovine excrement and it stinks."

The flags at the Capitol are flown because the box says "flown at the US Capitol." Up. Tie off, untie, down... NEXT!

Sheesh

My husband once suggested that it would be easier to load all the "Flag Flown Over the Capitol" flags into a cargo plane and fly the plane over the capitol -- and it would have almost as much meaning.

I've never heard the 30 minute rule. It doesn't even make SENSE.

-Liz

When I first heard about the "flags flown over the Capitol" I thought that they were the BIG FLAG, at most 366 of them a year so you were getting something special. Then I learned about the "up", "down", "up" "down" routine. On top of that they aren't even proper American flags, their ascpect ration, like most "American flags", is wrong.

In the same vein but slightly askew,

Is it necessary to retire each flag individually?

Or can flag after flag after flag be retired on the same fire provided that each flag is given "it's" 90-120 seconds or so(time for a proper salute and individual burn time).

For some reason our Troop has acquired through various avenues increasing numbers of flags to be retired, I already have over 150 lbs. of flags. We are already retiring several flags each campout and are still losing ground. I am considering an all day retirement party to "service" the rest of the flags.

Any input?

Any input?

JMHO. To me, far more important is the spirit of the ceremony. The honor and respect shown for the flag when it is retired and the flag's importance as a symbol for the United States of America. It's what is in your heart and mind that matter more than your strict adherence to a 60 second rule. Again... JMO.

If a scout wants me to deny their scout spirt advancement then all they need do is act up at a flag retirement ceremony, or during the pledge or scout oath or law.

"On top of that they aren't even proper American flags, their ascpect ration, like most "American flags", is wrong. "

There is no law that specifies the proportion of American flags, and the executive order describing such proportions in the 19:10 ratio only applies to executive agencies and certain military uses (the DOD has specific authorization to modify the ratio as needed). An executive agency is an agency under the Executive branch of the U.S. federal government.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)