I know that there are many things in the G2SS about floats and Hayrides. But what I was wondering is, has anyone found in their years of using floats, what has worked for additional safety measures. Spotters etc.

Just looking to draw from experience.

My Kiwanis Club puts on a 4th of July parade for 40,000+ people every year. A couple of things:

- either you're on the float or you're not...no jumping back and forth.

- no thowing things out into the crowd. If you throw short, folks (i.e. kids) will run out onto the parade route to pick things up.

- If you insist on handing out candy or whatever, the folks walking the parade route need to go to the crowd and hand things out, not vice versa.

- If horses are involved, no poppers or things that go "bang"

Most of the rest of the things should pretty much be common sense.

A few things we done:

- Be concerned about the folks in front of and behind the Scouts. Keep a couple parents behind the Scouts just to make sure the next float doesn't hit or encroach on the Scouts territory.

- Talk with the Scouts riding on any float. Don't lean over the side. If you drop something let one of the Leaders know and they will get it. Don't get on or off the trailer with out telling a Leader (they can ensure the driver knows not to move).

- If using a combination "float" and walkers, keep them separate. Have the walkers following behind the float, with a buffer. Don't have Scouts walking along side of the "float". Its too hard for the driver to monitor everyone's whereabouts.

- Have an adult walk on either side of and behind the float to ensure that the Scouts aren't falling off, doing anything dangerous, or go under the "float" for any reason.