Our troop has been asked about the possibility of setting up an ax throwing event/yard and an upcoming district event. Right now the committee seems split on the idea. Personally, I feel the idea of boys trowing axes goes against everything we try to teach them about safety. Does anyone know where I can find BSA policies, rules, etc regarding this type of situation? I know I will have to show something specific to those on both sides of the issue.

This troop is one that I have just crossed over into (actually my old troop) with my son. I am going to serve as one of the ASM's having been a Cubmaster for several years. Training and safety for the adults was something our pack was very big on, and I'm trying to bring some of that into the troop. I just like to back myself up with facts before I present them or offer my opinion.

Thanks.

Vince C

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I was involved in ax throwing was at Philmont. It would be an excellent idea if one were doing a buckskinning theme and have knife throwing, blackpowder shoot, and campfire cooking to go along with it.

Stosh

I am not familiar with anyplace that does this. But there has been a large gap in my scouting time.

BBut using common sense, lets look at the idea. THere are several high adventure bases that apparently do this. Try contacting them to see how they do it. But I would day that the best way to handle this is like we handle any other shooting sports. Use an acceptable range with safety areas, down range area, and waiting area. Proper supervision is also key.

And one other things that I think that is very important, make sure you give that every so important disclaimer

'Don't try this at home'

Hope this helps.

SctDad

Our council treats Tomahawk (or Ax) throwing just like archery or BB Guns or sling shots.

Over the summer our council ran a Cub Scout Shooting camp where this was one of the activities.

My 6 year old Tiger Cub got the chance to try and throw a small Tomahawk at a wooden target.

Most of the youger cubs didn't have the strength to throw far enough but a WEBELOS in our group stuck one in the target.

Tomahawk throwing is only done (just as BB Guns or Archery) as a District or Council Event.

A range similar to an archery range was roped off and only one Cub (or parent) was allowed in the range at a time with the instructor.

Treated like this this activity no more dangerous than Archery.

Just call your Council's office and ask which professional is the contact person for this District event.

After you satisfy yourself and your Troop's Committee that Traditional Scouting ax throwing contests do NOT violate any BSA policy, a complete "how to do it" guide (including how to make traditional targets) by Dan Beard himself can be found at The Inquiry Net:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/beard/throw_tomahawk.htm

Another guide by Peter McLaren (distributed by the Plumb Company) includes an early photograph of the "Bury the Axe in the War Post Ceremony" at Dan Beard's camp. This guide can also be found at The Inquiry Net:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/axe/axe_throwing.htm

Get used to the fact that for every Traditional Scouting activity that once made Boy Scouting a challenging adventure and a pure delight for red-blooded American boys, there is a committee of adults somewhere that tries to use "safety" to turn Boy Scouts into Cub Scouts!

Kudu(This message has been edited by kudu)

I can find nothing in the Guide to Safe Scouting that prohibits this as an activity. Yet axe throwing is in opposition to principles of axe safety taught in Totin Chip.

If your committee is uncomfortable with this, then decline the invite. If, however, they feel it can be done safely, then do it.

A key question for you and the committee to answer first, though is "Does an adult in the unit have experience throwing axe or tomahawk - and not just one time at band camp - errr Summer Camp/Philmont". If the answer is no, I would decline - you need someone with experience, who knows how to do it, and do it well, to be able to show others how its done, and to run your range safely. It is one thing to set this up as an event just for your unit at one of your unit campouts with no real experience, so that you can all learn it - it's quite another to set it up for a district event if you have no experience - would you set up an archery range for a district event if none of you were archers or had never done it before?

If, on the other hand, you have adults who participate in fur-trading re-enactments, and throw hawks for recreation/contests, or have an adult who participated in a woodsman (lumberjack) team in college that threw axes, and he/she is available and willing, then I'd go ahead and do it.

If you do decide to do it, there are some things I would suggest. As others have mentioned, you will need to set up a range - set it up like an archery range - with plenty of room blocked off to the side and rear of the targets. It needs to be treated like a range - no one stands anywhere down target from the thrower - either in or outside the boundaries. You'll want to set the range up in an open field, so you can see if anyone is walking down target. How deep should it be? Before you set up the range, throw a stick about the weight of the axe overhand as far as you can - then pace off that same length from where the stick landed in the same direction as the throw - and that should be your rear boundary (if, however, as far as you can isn't very far at all, then figure 40 yards at least).

Use tomahawks and not hand axes or hatchets. Nowadays, hawks are generally made specifically as throwing instruments for re-enactors, so they are better balanced for throwing (not that hawks can't be used for other things, but splitting wood with a hawk is harder than splitting it with a hatchet). Be cautious, though - hawk heads are not permanently attached to handles - they will slip down. This makes it easier to replace broken handles, and they are made that way to be historically accurate - hawks were a trade item - handles can be made anywhere.

By using tomahawks, you can also send a message that they are a specialized tool used mostly for competitions, not for every day use, so rules against throwing hand axes still apply - they won't be throwing hand axes, they'll be throwing tomahawks - so don't call it an axe throw, call it what it is, a hawk throw.

In most cases, axe throw means throwing 3/4 to full length axes, not hand axes. You should stay away from this kind of event as it's not really age appropriate - good for Venturers, not for Boy Scouts.

You'll need to build a heavy wooden tripod with a wooden shelf to hold the target. The target should be a thick and large diameter tree round - about 6 to 8" thick, and at least 18 (preferably 24 or more) inches in diameter. Stay away from the real hard woods like Oak and Elm if possible - you need the hawk to stick into the target, not bounce off if it does hit blade first which will only discourage the lads. The target should be set up about 15 paces from the front of your blocked off range, even though the Scouts will be tossing from a distance of about 7 paces from the target (need I mention that the back end of the range is two hawk-weight stick throws from the throwing position, not from the front of the range?).

Keep a file or course grinding wheel/stone available at the range - between groups, give the hawks a quick rough sharpen - the blades don't need to be sharp enough to slice paper, but they do need to be sharp enough to stick into the target - and the blades will get dull as you toss them at a wooden block.

Playing cards make great targets on the block - if its a competition, you can use a point system - 1 point for sticking in the block, 2 points for slicing/sticking into the card and 3 points for cutting the card into 2 pieces.

Calico

I've run tomahawk throwing at numerous Council events. I wouldn't call it ax throwing and make sure you actually have tomahawks. It will help prevent some of the complaints.

We treat it as a range. Cordon off an area, Scouts tend to under throw but occasionally someone would overthrow. Have a nice sturdy wood cutout for the target, don't go flimsy and have a way to stake it up (rebar) that is effective. It will save headaches.

I'd recommend only one thrower at a time or if you have multiple staff make sure it is one on one. A big safety concern is kids not realizing they twist their arm when they pull back to throw. If they proceed there would be a good chance of hitting their head. The staff member has to ensure a straight pull back. I also require closed toed shoes because I'm amazed at the number of Scouts that drop the tomahawks.

Plan on splitting some handles, and don't throw damaged tomahawks its not worth it. I never had a grinder at the range, making sure the tomahawks were sharp at the beginning of the day was usually good enough.

We didn't require safety glasses but I know some summer camps that do.

Scouts tend to enjoy the activity if they have never done it before, but tend to get frustrated since it is a bit harder to get a good stick than it looks.

I would not allow Cub Scouts to participate in this activity. Lack of maturity, body strength, and most likely they won't succeed.

Good Luck if you do it.

VinceC and fellow Scouters,

Good question!

Just a comparison though.

BSA has merit badges for Archery, Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting. They have specific dangers, but applied and conducted safely.

So why not Ax Throwing events, if it can be done safely?

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Axe and knife throwing are grouped together and known as rendezvous sports. Operates under the same regs as any other shooting sport venue. You need a location, a shooting sports director(who can have all the other venues open too) and a rendezvous qualified range master. Is not something a troop should do on their own hook but if you have a scout reservation with a range nearby something that could be arranged there. Our rendezvous area is right next to archery and is very popular when open during our field days.

Knives, axes, guns, arrows (bows without arrows are okay), rope and fire should all be banned as potentially hazardous. Swimming also since you can drown or pick up a disease from the water. Hiking should go away as well because you can get sunburned.