It's tomahawk throwing...a real axe tears up the target. It's authorized...done at National Jamboree and many summer camps. Our troop carries at least 1 target everywhere we go and often 4 or more. Best targets are made of 2X12 or 2X10 pine, treated or non-treated, whichever can be got cheaper from culled lumber piles at the local lumber yards, 6 feet tall, 3 ea 2x12s side by each, piece of thin stuff like luan(sp) glued to the back with 2x4 braces on the back. Heavy but last longer. Held up by single 2x6...some times they fall over and you have to set them up again. Get cold steel hawks from knivesplus.com...can get extra handles there also. We mostly use the Frontier Hawk but have one Rifleman Hawk for the larger, stronger boys and one Trail Hawk for the very smallest boys. Cold Steel hawks are the best for throwing. We have tried them all. Run the range like a combination range and axe yard. Roped off. Permission to enter. Hawks passed using Totin' Chit protocals, etc with a range officer to run the range. We have never had a problem and I have never heard anyone say we are violating Totin' Chit rules and frankly wouldn't care if they did...and would tell them to go bother someone else. If it's good enough for the National Jamboree it must be authorized. We are going to throw hawks. It is great. The boys love it. It keeps them in camp. I have never met the boy from my Troop or others that I can't teach to stick a hawk in about 10 minutes of working with him including ones in wheelchairs and with physical and mental handicaps. Helps build self esteem and confidence...especially in impaired boys. What a joy it is to see the look on their face when they stick a hawk. Just ran a hawk range for fall camporee this weekend and we are running another for OA Fall Fellowship this coming weekend.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any advice for an adult interested in learning how to throw? There aren't any mountain man-style rendezvouses in my area, and I haven't ever heard of a similar event in my council before, so I have very few people to tap into. Any books or Web sites for self-study to learn the basics?