Freezer bag eggs...OK or not?

Not long ago at a district Roundtable, our new district chairperson announced that there was to be a ban on making freezer bag omelettes/eggs...she was almost near hysterical in her pitch that "some Scout would be sickened and die" from eating eggs prepared in a freezer bag in boiling water...she claimed that BSA had put out this new policy as a result of the nalgene/bisephenol-A(?) problem.

Any validity to this? I went through Woodbadge with this lady and she is easily wound up, so I tend to take the info regarding a "ban on freezerbag/ziploc egg cooking" as a knee-jerk reaction at best. Its one of the quicker and easily cleaned up breakfasts one can use when times at a premium...I'd hate to see the Scouts lose it if its really safe.

I haven't heard this, but I'm with you -- my boys would be seriously unhappy if they couldn't make their baggie-omelets.

On the other hand, I personally feel that it's almost a cop-out... shouldn't they be learning to do DISHES? ;-)

-Liz

Liz; My Scouts are very experienced "Pearl Divers"...we use the baggie eggs when we have a need to be moving out by 8am or earlier.

We do plenty of dishes using the 3 tub method...one of my 1st class Scouts takes particular glee in training the new Scouts in how to do dishes RIGHT!

I googled the topic and found articles about Nalgene discontinuing use of the chemical after a study showed it caused some problems in rats that were fed the chemical. However, I didn't see anything about zip lock bags containing this chemical or there being any studies that proved that use of these products caused problems for humans. I think it's probably just the latest junk science. I also found this (from http://www.factsonplastic.com/) ...

FDA Further Reaffirms Safety of Food-Contact Products Containing Bisphenol A

ARLINGTON, VA (August 15, 2008) In a comprehensive draft scientific assessment issued today, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) strongly reaffirms the safety of food-contact products containing bisphenol A (BPA). Bisphenol A is used to make polycarbonate plastic products such as baby bottles and sippy cups, and is used in epoxy linings of cans to help to protect the safety and integrity of foods and beverages.

FDA is the premier agency responsible for the safety of our food, stated Steven G. Hentges, Ph.D. of the American Chemistry Councils Polycarbonate/BPA Global Group. FDAs thorough analysis confirms that food contact products made from polycarbonate plastic, including products for infants and children, can continue to be used safely.

Kraut -

My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, although there's a little truth to it; some of our patrols have a tendency to choose menus based primarily on which one will require the least amount of clean-up, rather than on what is nutritious or even tasty. I find myself biting my tongue a lot when I see what the boys have bought for their campouts.

Even so, I'm actually a big fan of the baggie-eggs.

-Liz

The website says not to boil the bags because they aren't designed to withstand the heat of boiling them, so it reads as more of a disclaimer in case the bag fails. It has nothing to do with the possibility of chemical contamination, since it's not listed under the "Safety" section of their FAQ which addresses the subject of chemicals.

Obviously, having this discussion at all demonstrates that it is possible to boil in one of their bags, regardless of what their website states.

Liz said, "some of our patrols have a tendency to choose menus based primarily on which one will require the least amount of clean-up". Remember Liz, a scout is thrifty!

Yes, but as Napoleon said, "An army marches on its stomach."

I have been impressed with our boys. They like good food, and most are excellent cooks (the fish tacos on the last campout were superb!). The only time I have ever had eggs in a bag was when I attended Wood Badge; they were fine and I would not discourage the boys from preparing them, but if they want scrambled eggs, bacon and dutch oven biscuits--let them have at it!

(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Buffalo,

My experience is that the baggie eggs are usually done on a Sunday morning when there is a need to break camp, get packed and get on the road. That is preferable to pop tarts or a bowl of cereal. For Saturdays, we encourage a dutch oven breakfast.

On our last backpacking trip, I used info from the site "www.freezerbagcooking.com" to prepare my menu for my evening meal. It turned out just fine, althought some of the recipies called for stuff I could not find at my local Wal Mart, and had to find substitutes for.

On that web site, they call for combining all the ingredients in a heavy freezer bag, not a sandwitch bag, and pouring boiled water from a kettle into the freezer bag. You let the meal cool for 20 to 30 minutes; during which the water soaks into the rice or noodles, and then pour it in a bowl, or eat it out of the freezer bag. I was happy with the results, althought the recipies made enough for two people. I was happy with the results.

The problem with eggs is that you usually were taught to put the mixed eggs into a bag and put that into a pot of boiling water. I learned to do this with a paper bag. I would not do it with a plastic bag, since it could melt into your meal. I wonder if you put the mixed eggs into a freezer bag and put it into a pot of water that boiled and was taken off the stove, if it would be better. I will have to try that this weekend.

Call me stupid or not, but wouldn't it be a bit more thriftier if one would just skip the questionable plastic bag and just boil the egg in it's own natural shell?

And if this is the Sunday am rush to break camp meal, why not just cook in the mess kit, put it back together, drop it in a plastic bag and take it home to wash. I can do an bacon/onion omelet faster than most people can boil their huge pot of eggs.

If the boys do the big boil breakfast thingy, it's nice to have the hot water to rinse off the mess kit before tossing into the plastic bag. Otherwise, use a steel frypan and eat breakfast right out of it, wipe clean, heat over fire to disinfect and head on out with a dirty fork.

It just sounds like somebody's trying to make something quite simple, very complex.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

"Call me stupid or not, but wouldn't it be a bit more thriftier if one would just skip the questionable plastic bag and just boil the egg in it's own natural shell?

And if this is the Sunday am rush to break camp meal, why not just cook in the mess kit, put it back together, drop it in a plastic bag and take it home to wash. I can do an bacon/onion omelet faster than most people can boil their huge pot of eggs. "

First off, you can't throw cheese, onions and other veggies into a hard boiled egg to make a quick omelet. :-)

Second, you can make 8 omelets faster than it takes to throw 8 bagged-egg omelets in a pot of boiling water? Could you please work the omelet station at every Sunday brunch I've ever been to? I hate waiting in line.

I'd never pan-cook more than 2-3 omelets in a given meal because part of having a meal together is, well, actually being able to eat together. I'm not a fan of cold omelets.