A lot of districts collect data as it relates to merit badge counselor lists, roundtable attendance, training course registration, etc.

To have all this data available in one spot for commissioner's and committee members we have purchased some software to manage this. Not that we have it though I am curious to see if it will become information for information sake or if it really will be useful. So I have some questions.

To those districts that don't keep data, is there any particular reason?

To those districts that do keep data, what software do you use and how have you found it useful?

Thanks for your input!

Overtrained

We got ADMS from Troop Master. It worked great and had all the features we needed, BUT no one would go in and add data to it.

They wanted the info but would not take the time to put theirs in.

I also started a spreadsheet of different facts about the district and its units. Up dated it as the years went by. Many people came to me to get figures. When I stepped down as DC no one wanted to keep it up to date.

If the district as a whole will not make a commitment to keep it up to date it is a waste of time. And in theory you should be able to get the same information from Scout Net if you can get someone to let you get print outs.

Good luck.

My district keeps roundtable attendance using a spreadsheet program. The merit badge councelor's list is maintained by our Council. Most other date is kept on ScoutNet, so it makes no sence to maintain and update a separate district database.

"The merit badge councelor's list is maintained by our Council. Most other date is kept on ScoutNet, so it makes no sence to maintain and update a separate district database."

And having a separate district database may lead to the council database not being updated. Not a good idea.

Any district info should be an extract from what's in the council ScoutNet database.

I appreciate the comments and would like to ask a few questions:

Apache Bob - Tis the problem with any database, keeping it up to date. Had you been able to do that, what was beneficial to you as DC with ADMS? Could you download data from Scoutnet to ADMS or upload data to ADMS from Troopmaster/Packmaster for units that had it?

AvidSM - Each district in my council keeps their own MB list and counselors are registered through the district charter. Does your council list the counselors by merit badge and if they will only teach to their own troop? I noticed in another thread that this can be an issue with scoutnet. Also, could you tell me what size your district is? I'm thinking this might make a differance, but am not sure yet. My current district is the size of my previous council. Many things done at my previous council as a whole are done by the districts in my current council.

emb021 - "And having a separate district database may lead to the council database not being updated. Not a good idea. "

I agree if we're talking all the same data and procedures would need to be in place where the data is the same. That is why I'm curious if some of these can upload/download data into Scoutnet like troopmaster does for charters and advancements.

"Any district info should be an extract from what's in the council ScoutNet database."

I partially agree with this, but wonder if a district database can give a 1 page unit summary i.e. Membership, Camping, Advancement, FOS, Popcorn Sales, Trained Leaders, Roundtable Attendance, District Event attendance, OA, etc apposed to looking at a seperate report for each area listing all 80 units.

Plus Scoutnet doesn't list all of the items I listed. This begs me to restate my original premise of "information for information sake or if it really will be useful"

I'm still neutral on this with our database as it doesn't affect me much and many seem to like it. Keeping it up to date, at this point isn't a problem with 50 committee members but as people change who knows.

I appreciate your comments and insight and look forward to more.

OverTrained -

No,I was not allowed to download anything from ScoutNet. The Council is so afraid that some bit of data might be given to the wrong person. So I asked for and received hard copies of some of the information and just keyed it in. If I understand it correctly ADMS can receive downloads and can also uploan into ScoutNet.

I could update ADMS from Troopmaster and Packmaster.

I kept everything up to date for several years. When someone wants some information they just got in touch with me and I gave it to them.

I kept basic info on the unit, unit leaders email and phone numbers, # of boys and # of adults for different years, on time recharters and QUs, membership figures, advancement, training, popcorn sales, camping stats, FOS unit figures, and etc.

When I left the position I passed on all the info and have no idea if it has been up dated.

It was necessary in our District/Council as a lot (a whole lot) of the info in ScoutNet was incorrect or just not there.