• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the name callers in Scouts, that might be the scary part.

TRUSTWORTHY

A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

LOYAL

A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.

HELPFUL

A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND

A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

OBEDIENT

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

CHEERFUL

A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

THRIFTY

A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

BRAVE

A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

CLEAN

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

REVERENT

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

(sigh) too late to the party. Strikes me y'all just didn't give scoutingtexas the answer he wanted - we needed to help him sabotage a "friendship" by burying him in paperwork which was specifically directed at aforementioned "friend"!

Wow, at the risk of being accused of piling on, how's that old saw go - with friends like that, who needs enemies?

As John pointed out early on - you work for the SM, if you can't do that, then join the committee and deal with it. But as Lisa pointed out, forms sure aren't going to do it. That's a coward's way out.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

Perception is reality.

Through the years, I have had several Scout Leader friends who have had inappropriate relationships with other adults. So I have been sensitized in this area. Excess displays of affection are out of place at any Scouting event, whether the two people involved are: (1) married to each other, (2) married to other people, or (3) single.

One might view this issue like smoking. Smoking in front of Scouts is out of place. My advice to scoutingtexas would be to discuss the perception of inappropriate behavior with his friend the SM. Whether inappropriate behavior takes place or not is not important (and none of our business?).

I had this conversation with a female friend once who was too friendly with a married man. They were mad at me at the time, but latter thanked me. I commented on what I saw, not what might be taking place elsewhere.

Welcome to the Forums, Toby.

Since scoutingtexas has withdrawn from the conversation, I agree there might have been an issue to address.

That said, she was an Assistant Scoutmaster. She works for the Troop under the supervision of the Scoutmaster. She has three recourses if she has issue with how the SM does things:

- Do nothing.

- Discuss the issue quietly with the SM.

- Resign the position and raise the issue in a more formal and structured setting with the Committee Chair and/or the COR.

Anything else is backstabbing.

If the issue involved immediate matters of YP, then the right answer is report the matter to the SE and butt out.

If you were a SM, would you want a gossip behind you as one of your ASMs? There are ways to be friendly, courteous, kind and loyal, even while being trustworthy and brave.

John, where did you pick up gender info from what ST posted? Just curious.

"That said, she was an Assistant Scoutmaster. She works for the Troop under the supervision of the Scoutmaster. She has three recourses if she has issue with how the SM does things: "

Vicki